BBO Discussion Forums: Windows client retirement feedback thread - BBO Discussion Forums

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Windows client retirement feedback thread

#81 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-November-07, 16:29

Interesting. At home, I have a three-monitor setup, and the middle one is vertical, simply because web browsers, and web pages, like to use a lot of vertical space, and it's precious. 900x1600 should be enough for anybody, right?

There are issues, but fullscreen web-BBO on a deep screen has zero problem with chat size. Keeping the screen and the results page up at the same time and of readable size, that's an issue.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#82 User is offline   isabable 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-November-07, 17:13

Please do not cancel windows. I dislike the web version thank you isabable

#83 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-07, 19:25

View Postfred, on 2016-November-07, 13:41, said:

In this particular case a mockup alone might not be enough - it would be good if people could actually judge what the playing experience would be like (they might not like it if, for example, dummy has a very long suit and the cards have to either be very small, be scrunched together, or overlap other UI elements, especially if you want the suit order to be the same as in the other hands which we know many of our users care about).

Yes, very long suits are problematical. IIRC, even in the Web version you switch to a smaller font for EW with an 8(7?)+ card suit. My thought was that when it was dummy's turn to play, as you hovered over a suit (automatically if following suit) that you could get an a magnified window popup showing the suit with larger cards (optional).

We are actually in the middle of planning an entirely new BBO client both for the web and for mobile devices that will be based on HTML5 and Javascript rather than Flash. Given the current state of Flash, it is important that we get moving on this. That, and limited resources, may well constrain how much effort we willing to put into improving the existing (Flash) web-client (or it might not - unclear at this point). In any case, we have received plenty of useful feedback both in this thread and from other sources that, at a minimum, I expect will have some impact on the design of the HTML client.

I guess it depends on the timeframe for the new platform, but if I was the project manager, I would freeze Web development except for fixing critical bugs, and move any new features directly to the new platform. There doesn't seem to be any point in adding new features to a platform that is going to disappear in the near future.

I am not sure you understand my point about monitors - it is aspect ratio (the ratio of the number of horizontal pixels to the number of vertical pixels), not screen resolution, that is the relevant factor in terms of the issue in question (among many others).

Apparently not :) Sorry for being dense and not seeing the problems caused by different aspect ratios.

#84 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-07, 21:59

View Postjohnu, on 2016-November-07, 19:25, said:

My thought was that when it was dummy's turn to play, as you hovered over a suit (automatically if following suit) that you could get an a magnified window popup showing the suit with larger cards (optional).

As a web dev myself, I can tell you that with so many touch screens these days (not just mobiles), you can no longer assume the user has a mouse/the ability to 'hover' for anything crucial - and a large enough tappable area is definitely crucial.

#85 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-07, 23:54

I really miss the Windows version feature that would play the correct card for you automatically. Can you please make sure that gets ported in future updates?

There are a bunch of features described as "missing" from the web version on this and another site and I am pretty sure (in some cases certain) that the features are there but the way to get at them might not be immediately clear to some folk.

There may be value in generating an FAQ, or a Q&A thread, or something of the sort to make people aware of these purportedly missing features and help guide people through the transition.

#86 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-08, 03:01

View Postsmerriman, on 2016-November-07, 21:59, said:

As a web dev myself, I can tell you that with so many touch screens these days (not just mobiles), you can no longer assume the user has a mouse/the ability to 'hover' for anything crucial - and a large enough tappable area is definitely crucial.

You could use a tap to bring up a magnified suit view for a touch screen. The point was that just because your original display of the suit might be smaller than optimal for selecting a card to play, there isn't any reason that you couldn't expand the suit view when you needed to play a card from that suit.

#87 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-08, 04:26

An interesting poll on BBO platform preference at http://bridgewinners...iew/bbo-client/

At this time, the Web version has a very small lead over the Windows version, and surprisingly, the mobile versions have very small support so far. There are a number of reason why people prefer the Windows version. I would have thought this very unscientific poll would have shown a preponderance of support for the Web version since new users have no choice and many old users would have changed to use the new features that BBO has been touting.

#88 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2016-November-08, 07:33

One would hope that those without access to the windows client would have the nous to refrain from voting.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#89 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-November-08, 10:39

View Postsmerriman, on 2016-November-07, 21:59, said:

Isn't press-and-hold the usual replacement for hover on touch screens? That's what the mobile client currently uses to display the meanings of bids.

#90 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-08, 11:56

View Post1eyedjack, on 2016-November-08, 07:33, said:

One would hope that those without access to the windows client would have the nous to refrain from voting.

LOL, that doesn't seem to be the case in any other poll that has been run. I did say that this was an unscientific poll. As the saying goes, opinions are like a-holes, everybody has one. What kind of fantasy world do you live in :P

#91 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2016-November-08, 16:23

View Postmatmat, on 2016-November-07, 23:54, said:

I really miss the Windows version feature that would play the correct card for you automatically. Can you please make sure that gets ported in future updates?

There are a bunch of features described as "missing" from the web version on this and another site and I am pretty sure (in some cases certain) that the features are there but the way to get at them might not be immediately clear to some folk.

There may be value in generating an FAQ, or a Q&A thread, or something of the sort to make people aware of these purportedly missing features and help guide people through the transition.

If you mean auto-play singleton that is available on web version, though is frowned upon because card is played fast so you can tell it's a singleton.
If you mean computer plays some other card for you that would be against the laws of bridge although auto-singleton probably would violate bridge laws too.

Sarcasm is a state of mind

#92 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-08, 16:35

There's a random delay when auto-play singleton is on, it's not insta-play. It used to be instant play but that was fixed that a few years ago.

#93 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-November-09, 09:54

View Postdiana_eva, on 2016-November-08, 16:35, said:

There's a random delay when auto-play singleton is on, it's not insta-play. It used to be instant play but that was fixed that a few years ago.

Except in robot games, since the robots don't take inferences from tempo. So if you play lots of robot games, you might get the wrong impression that it does this all the time.

#94 User is offline   a rebel 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-November-09, 11:46

I have always use the windows version except when on someone else's computer; and vote emphatically not to discontinue.

#95 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-09, 13:19

View Postbarmar, on 2016-November-08, 10:39, said:

Isn't press-and-hold the usual replacement for hover on touch screens? That's what the mobile client currently uses to display the meanings of bids.

Sure - but not when the aim was to make it easier to select in the first place!

#96 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-09, 23:23

one question is what is the point of the list of people and the start of their comments on the right side of the screen? I fail to understand the rationale for this, especially if space is at a premium.

Much as I respect Diana Eva, reading two words of whatever comment she (and of course all the others, it just seems to be Diana_Eva most of the time)was making in a conversation ( I assume) which doesn't even remotely involve me seems an odd use of space. It also feels like eavesdropping.

I would much rather see that space used to list the friends I have online, albeit in much smaller type. That would give you more room for the card table and be much more useful, imo.

#97 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-November-09, 23:33

View Postonoway, on 2016-November-09, 23:23, said:

one question is what is the point of the list of people and the start of their comments on the right side of the screen? I fail to understand the rationale for this, especially if space is at a premium.

It's supposed to be a kind of social networking. I'm personally not a fan, either, but I don't use facebook or twitter, either, so I'm out of step with modern times.

I would much rather see that space used to list the friends I have online, albeit in much smaller type. That would give you more room for the card table and be much more useful, imo.

Switch to the Who's Online tab and the news feed is replaced with the list of friends who are online.

Is space really at a premium? Modern PCs offer very high resolutions.

#98 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-10, 00:31

I also miss the ability to do a minor hack on some of the data files and fly a pirate flag!

#99 User is offline   scarletv 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-November-10, 01:30

View Postbarmar, on 2016-November-09, 23:33, said:

Is space really at a premium? Modern PCs offer very high resolutions.

For me space is really a matter, as I mostly play on a small laptop and eyes are getting worse. The smaller the playing area gets the more tiresome it is. Avoid any space consuming elements like thick bars or buttons in the top that could be placed elsewhere.

When BBO gets more and more a place to play with robots and not to meet or find human partners for a friendly play I don't think it is a good thing to happen. In my personal priority list everything that makes it easier to find suitable players is welcome. Showing the friends list on first view would be one of my wishes. Filter possibilities for nationality, skill level with all its pain, similar completion rate (+/-10 %) and last but not least system key words would be very welcome. For table lists and finding a partner for casual game or tourney everywhere welcome.

I guess BBO should have data on how players use the newsfeed. My experience is that I don't need much of it. Mainly the important BBO announcements are of interest. I have seen little from followers/friends that I found useful. With a split screen on the right side it should be possible to have both, friends and news feed. Customizable would be very much appreciated.

As TD I prefer the possibility to login with two different usernames at the same time. I hope very much that this will be possible with HTML5 as well.

Last but not least get rid of that completely unnecessary noise when cards are played. I want to have sound to catch my attention when needed and not to be spammed.

And for all those that still prefer the client solution. You are missing a real lot of good stuff in the web version. I wonder what others appreciate, for me the categories is one of the most useful tools BBO applied.

#100 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2016-November-10, 02:25

View Postbarmar, on 2016-November-09, 23:33, said:

It's supposed to be a kind of social networking. I'm personally not a fan, either, but I don't use facebook or twitter, either, so I'm out of step with modern times.

Switch to the Who's Online tab and the news feed is replaced with the list of friends who are online.

Unfortunately you cannot make this the default tab.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users