BBO Discussion Forums: Director "cheat sheet" for IB, COOR, LP, CC law changes - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Director "cheat sheet" for IB, COOR, LP, CC law changes

#1 User is offline   BudH 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Operations Supervisor/Technical Advisor at nuclear power plant, soccer and basketball referee for more than 25 years; GLM; Ex-Head (Game) Director at South Bend (Indiana) Bridge Club; avid student of bridge law and game movements

Posted 2017-August-27, 11:01

I created a two-page "cheat sheet" to help our local club directors with the new insufficient bid, call out of rotation, lead penalty, and comparable call laws. The intent is to have a laminated two-sided single sheet the Director can use at the table to help him (or her).

http://www.budhinckl...COOR-LP-CC.docx

Please modify for your use as you see fit. I did paraphrase and slightly adjust some wording which I felt the average club director would understand better than some of the more legal sounding language, and kept the font large for easy reading, but with the restriction to keep it within two pages.

I'd appreciate any suggestions for modifications.

#2 User is offline   weejonnie 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, croquet

Posted 2017-August-27, 13:13

View PostBudH, on 2017-August-27, 11:01, said:

I created a two-page "cheat sheet" to help our local club directors with the new insufficient bid, call out of rotation, lead penalty, and comparable call laws. The intent is to have a laminated two-sided single sheet the Director can use at the table to help him (or her).

http://www.budhinckl...COOR-LP-CC.docx

Please modify for your use as you see fit. I did paraphrase and slightly adjust some wording which I felt the average club director would understand better than some of the more legal sounding language, and kept the font large for easy reading, but with the restriction to keep it within two pages.

I'd appreciate any suggestions for modifications.

Maybe it would be better to say "Pass for the rest of this auction" - Saying "Pass forever" would severely reduce their enjoyment of bridge for the next 10+ years. The following suggestion are, I hope, more pertinent.

It would help in the 'lead penalties' session to say "such prohibition remains in force until he loses the lead" - or something like that.

Also : may be better to change wording to "the probable outcome(s)" - to remind the TD that a weighted decision is allowed.

In the first example 'a negative double is comparable' - I would agree provided it promises 4 hearts.

In the example where 3 is described as the lowest call showing the same denomination, it is not necessary for 3 to be a comparable call.
No matter how well you know the laws, there is always something that you'll forget. That is why we have a book.
Get the facts. No matter what people say, get the facts from both sides BEFORE you make a ruling or leave the table.
Remember - just because a TD is called for one possible infraction, it does not mean that there are no others.
In a judgement case - always refer to other TDs and discuss the situation until they agree your decision is correct.
The hardest rulings are inevitably as a result of failure of being called at the correct time. ALWAYS penalize both sides if this happens.

#3 User is offline   BudH 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Operations Supervisor/Technical Advisor at nuclear power plant, soccer and basketball referee for more than 25 years; GLM; Ex-Head (Game) Director at South Bend (Indiana) Bridge Club; avid student of bridge law and game movements

Posted 2017-August-27, 18:12

View Postweejonnie, on 2017-August-27, 13:13, said:

Maybe it would be better to say "Pass for the rest of this auction" - Saying "Pass forever" would severely reduce their enjoyment of bridge for the next 10+ years. The following suggestion are, I hope, more pertinent.

It would help in the 'lead penalties' session to say "such prohibition remains in force until he loses the lead" - or something like that.

Also : may be better to change wording to "the probable outcome(s)" - to remind the TD that a weighted decision is allowed.

In the first example 'a negative double is comparable' - I would agree provided it promises 4 hearts.

In the example where 3 is described as the lowest call showing the same denomination, it is not necessary for 3 to be a comparable call.

Thanks for the comments. I'll see if I incorporate it and still hold it down to two pages.

"Pass forever" takes less words than "required to pass for the rest of the auction". Shorter to read and typing space precious to keep it 14 point font.

Same for prohibit the lead of any one suit "for as long as he holds the lead". Perhaps I could acronym it as FALAHHTL which actually would be understood.

I agree "probable outcome(s)" could be adjusted.

The 3 is listed twice, both as lowest sufficient bid and as a comparable call. I wanted it to be clear that bid works for BOTH reasons.

#4 User is offline   BudH 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-28, 06:32

Version modified from your comments. I also changed an example of 1-(2)-2 to say it was forcing (not a negative free bid).

#5 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-August-28, 06:44

Maybe it would be better to say "Pass for the rest of this auction"

Indeed. One member of a North London club thought that "pass whenever it is turn to call" applied to the whole evening.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#6 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-August-28, 08:33

View Postlamford, on 2017-August-28, 06:44, said:

Indeed. One member of a North London club thought that "pass whenever it is turn to call" applied to the whole evening.

There is a tale of the player who didn't understand that pass by him was required only for the rest of that auction and his club where nobody realized this misunderstanding until more than three weeks later.

#7 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-August-28, 09:13

View Postlamford, on 2017-August-28, 06:44, said:

If he decided that it's not worth coming back again, I'm not sure the other club members would miss him.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users