• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Question and Answer UI or not UI that is the question

#41 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-January-13, 07:54

View Postblackshoe, on 2019-January-12, 22:00, said:

Basically, any bid which would be alerted because of its meaning, but which occurs at or after opener's second bid and is above 3NT is delayed.

Suppose the auction goes 1-(P)-4, where 4 is a splinter bid. 4 requires an alert because it's artificial. The alert is immediate because it's on the first round of bidding.

Now suppose instead the auction goes 1-(P)-1-(P)-4, where again 4 is a splinter. 4 requires an alert because it's artificial. However, because it occurs at (or after, in some cases) opener's second call, and is above 3NT, the alert is delayed until the Clarification Period - i.e., after the final pass of the auction.

Alerts for passes, doubles, and redoubles, if required, are always immediate.

Do delayed alerts work well in practice? In many slam auctions, time runs tight and nearly all the calls above 3NT are artificial: I imagine it might seem a bit dumb to alert them one by one, especially if the opponents are not asking explanations (and if they are, then it might be cleaner and just as fast to ask "please explain the auction").

#42 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-13, 14:58

The procedure, when there is an alertable call whose alert is delayed, is to show the alert card (or tap the alert strip, if you have one) and say "alert", making sure both opponents are aware of it. This applies whether one call is alertable, or many. Then when they ask (and they almost always will) you explain all the alertable calls. There's no need for multiple individual alerts.

In practice, people simply state the meanings without alerting or showing the alert card. This isn't proper procedure, but it's better than not alerting because "it's above 3NT".
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#43 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-13, 15:25

View Postblackshoe, on 2019-January-13, 14:58, said:

The procedure, when there is an alertable call whose alert is delayed, is to show the alert card (or tap the alert strip, if you have one) and say "alert", making sure both opponents are aware of it. This applies whether one call is alertable, or many. Then when they ask (and they almost always will) you explain all the alertable calls. There's no need for multiple individual alerts.

In practice, people simply state the meanings without alerting or showing the alert card. This isn't proper procedure, but it's better than not alerting because "it's above 3NT".

Thanks, so basically it works out the same way as when one asks "please explain the auction" over here. Considering the likelihood that at least one of the calls above 3NT will always be alertable, I'm not sure I agree that it is any better than just not alerting because "it's above 3NT", as per WBC policy.

#44 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-13, 21:11

I don't know if it's better. It's what we do here, at least those of us who understand the regulation. B-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users