• You cannot reply to this topic

Oh Dear! Trouble at the Club.

#41 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-August-17, 01:22

View Postthepossum, on 2019-August-16, 22:21, said:

Hi Felicity
Sorry if you thought my post was aimed at you.
The post wasn't at all aimed at you or your attitude to the game, more to some of the responses and common attitudes I have seen and read on this site and tables over the last 12 months

Regards P

PS However reading some of the comments in your post I'm assuming they are not aimed at me. I just believe in fair play, and that the right people are successful for the right reasons. I'm not resenting anyone :)

I'm watching football at the moment but will reply properly to all your comments when I have time in order to do justice to your response

There's no need to bother yourself with a reply Mr Possum. You have proved yourself through this forum that you are willing to learn, like myself, in the autumn of our years. Good luck with your bridge, and with that mercurial Mr Gib :)

#42 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-August-17, 07:54

View PostFelicityR, on 2019-August-17, 01:22, said:

There's no need to bother yourself with a reply Mr Possum. You have proved yourself through this forum that you are willing to learn, like myself, in the autumn of our years. Good luck with your bridge, and with that mercurial Mr Gib :)

Hi Felicity

Thankyou for your reply. I may try to address/clarify what I was trying to say above although I tend to struggle a bit and often seem to be misunderstood - part of a problem on my part communicating via discussion forums. I constantly have to add to, amend, edit, adjust my words when I read my forum posts. Nothing ever comes out the way it would in conversation and actually seems to give a false impression of what I am like in real life. However I do have some very strong feelings about the issues I raised (both in bridge and life) and I can see both sides of the issue you raised at your club. I was just rather dismayed at the attitude or sentiments of some of the responses but that is par for the course. My concerns have been informed by a number of bridge and non-related experiences through life. I think quite a few people need to have lessons about rules and ethcs of the game rather than just be taught the mechanics of the game.

Regarding learning late in life, I guess I am retraining my brain close to how I used to play, although I am no where near as able now as I was 30+ years ago, learning alien systems and also have very little confidence to play at anyones tables anymore except for social bridge. Much of the fun seems to have disappeared from it now and it seems, from some players, anyway that the aim is more about confusing opponents with unfamilar systems than actually a test of intellect and true ability. I can understand that at the top levels of the gam but it seems to have invaded the lower and middle echelons of the game too. That is a bit of an issue throughout many disciplines though. There is also a tendency of many to like to put down other players or posters through various means which I tried to indicate in my post

I wont bore you or anyone else here now.

At least my football team won today. I've just confirmed tonight that playing bridge when very tired is a waste of the match fees. I should have saved the $1.35 and gone to bed an hour ago, but wanted to respond to your post

See you on the forums :)

regards P

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users