BBO Discussion Forums: Strong Hand Over Weak-two in Diamonds - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Strong Hand Over Weak-two in Diamonds

#1 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-September-23, 10:25

Teams (IMPs)

What is your plan? If you double initially, partner will reply 2. Now what?
- What does a raise to 3 show?
- What does a raise to 4 show?
- What does a cue-bid show?
- Or will you bid no trumps? Or spades?

#2 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-September-23, 10:51

Not a situation ever really discussed, but I would expect:
- 3 = natural game invite if partner is at the maximum 2 response
- 4 = signoff
- 3 = strong, balanced with no stop and no fit
I would just bid 4 here.

#3 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-September-23, 10:56

There's some similarity between this hand and a hand Tony Forrester held in the World Championships. One less trump mind. And a one level opening as opposed to a weak two. (Board 32)

https://www.bridgeba...ch.php?id=65789

As the opponents haven't raised pre-emptively after the X at favourable vulnerability, it does suggest that the other suits may be stacked against you. I assume 3 would be invitational here, so I would just bid 4 a la Mr Forrester and hope for the best.

#4 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2019-September-23, 13:39

Playing Lebensohl over double of weak 2s helps here. Any bid at the 2 level that can be made shows the weakest hand 6-7 or less. Use of the 2 NT relay followed by the bid of a suit below the original weak 2 suit is also weak (here that would be passing the 3 relay).

in this auction, 2 by South is weak, but I think North should raise to 3 asking partner to carry on to game with a decent "weak hand".

#5 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-September-23, 15:31

One danger on this hand is that partner has responded with a three-card heart suit when he has diamonds that were insufficient to pass a takeout double. However the risk of trying to cope with this possibility have to be weighed against the danger of missing game or finding a different wrong spot.

For example, I think 2 is an option that guards against this danger and will help you find the right game when partner is 3-3 in the majors. If partner passes 2, which I guess will happen with a completely worthless hand, then you will probably be in a playable spot. Otherwise you will find game somewhere. Of course they almost certainly have a diamond ruff at trick two in this case, but hopefully they will also be endplayed at trick three.

When partner is 3-4 in the majors, he will raise two spades and now you might not be able to play in the 4-4 heart fit when you have a 5-3 spade fit. No-one said bridge was easy.

It helps if your partner is expecting a strong and flexible hand for this action rather than a spade single-suiter.

With my regular partner I would bid 2. With many other partners I would just bid 4.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#6 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-September-23, 15:36

I want to be in game opposite some pretty crappy hands, the only time I come seriously unstuck is when partner's 3343 or has absolutely nothing, but that doesn't mean that I have to bid it straight away. My inclination would be to bid 3 and see what partner does.

#7 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-September-23, 20:43

View Postpaulg, on 2019-September-23, 15:31, said:

One danger on this hand is that partner has responded with a three-card heart suit when he has diamonds that were insufficient to pass a takeout double. However the risk of trying to cope with this possibility have to be weighed against the danger of missing game or finding a different wrong spot.

For example, I think 2 is an option that guards against this danger and will help you find the right game when partner is 3-3 in the majors. If partner passes 2, which I guess will happen with a completely worthless hand, then you will probably be in a playable spot. Otherwise you will find game somewhere. Of course they almost certainly have a diamond ruff at trick two in this case, but hopefully they will also be endplayed at trick three.

When partner is 3-4 in the majors, he will raise two spades and now you might not be able to play in the 4-4 heart fit when you have a 5-3 spade fit. No-one said bridge was easy.

It helps if your partner is expecting a strong and flexible hand for this action rather than a spade single-suiter.

With my regular partner I would bid 2. With many other partners I would just bid 4.

I agree with Paul - I am worried that partner is 2344, 33(43), or 3352/2353 and can't pass our double for penalty. If I had 5 Hearts instead of 4 with this point count, I would go straight to game.
As is, I would bid 2. It is mostly forcing, and I can get a better idea. If partner passes, we are probably in the best spot, since my hand loses value if I can't take finesses.
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#8 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-September-24, 07:12

Partner did indeed respond with a three-card suit:

Maybe partner should have responded 3 - but the club suit is poor and I don't quarrel with the actual 3 choice.

I was lured by the vulnerable game at IMPs. The double-dummy analysis shows that 4 can make ... but it probably wouldn't make on any reasonable line and was three-off on partner's line!

Bidding 2 (or 2NT) would have kept us safe on this hand and I must admit that I was changing my mind and wanting to change my 4 bid to 2 almost as soon as I made the bid. I don't know what partner would do over 3, but I guess that she would bid 3.

#9 User is offline   TMorris 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-September-24, 11:25

Playing Leb partner might bid 2NT and you can then bid 3 whcih might show this hand type.

#10 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-September-24, 11:53

View PostTMorris, on 2019-September-24, 11:25, said:

Playing Leb partner might bid 2NT and you can then bid 3 whcih might show this hand type.

Possible, but I can understand why partner preferred to try to play in a major at the two-level.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users