• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Matchpoint madness

#1 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2019-December-07, 07:11

This one came up yesterday evening. Came against the strongest pair in the room (a couple of EBU grandmasters). They asked how it was going, I said good but you will probably stop that, they said we haven't done that well up to now, I responded by saying that every pair who says that ends up doing well against us.

Second board of the round:

2 was the multi.

Not a success, three off for a bottom, when NS have nothing on beyond 2.

This combined with 4+1 NS for 21% on the previous board and 4+3 NS for 21% on the following board (both of those we couldn't do better) to make a really awful round after a great start. I am very good at predicting when thing are going to go tits up during an evening. :lol: :rolleyes:

#2 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-December-07, 10:42

East's 5 is diabolical opposite a multi, knowing is partner's suit. As for passing the opening bid of 2 previously as well....

....if you're going to use a multi 2 opening bid - which I have used for over 20 years - then at least practice with hands like this.

If one of your options for the multi is a strong hand, then passing 2 is ludicrous. If not, at least go through the motions of bidding 2 and letting partner decide.

The level of opponents isn't a factor here, just your own judgement. And sorry for being so honest here: when you use any gadget or convention just be prepared for situations like this.

#3 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-December-07, 10:56

I gather you were West?
Does your Multi have any real strong options?
Would a 2NT response usually obtain a 3/3 reply?

#4 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-December-07, 11:07

View Postpescetom, on 2019-December-07, 10:56, said:

I gather you were West?
Does your Multi have any real strong options?
Would a 2NT response usually obtain a 3/3 reply?

Yes I was West. Our multi is either a weak two in a major, a strong two in a minor, or 19-20 balanced.

A 2NT is an enquiry, there are several responses, 3,,, showing various strengths and suit quality of a weak two, 4/ showing the strong two, and 3NT showing the strong balanced hand.

At the end of the evening, partner weakly suggested I could have made a penalty double over 4, on the basis he is marked with shortage in the majors, so two rounds of spades are likely to stand up, I may be able to give him a spade ruff, and the Q looks like a defensive trick.

It was small saving grace that I didn't correct to 5 which I probably should have done on the bidding, given that partner could easily be 6-5 in the minors after his initial pass. That is an even worse contract.

#5 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2019-December-07, 11:21

Thanks. I don't play Multi, but if I did I would be sure to have agreements about situations like this. Passing 2 looks bad, and psyching 2NT would be no better even if tolerated. I would expect the normal response to be 2 elicting 2 if opponents keep quiet, which doesn't look like an imminent disaster here - if they double, East can run to 3 or maybe bid 2NT if that shows both minors. I don't see how either of you could realistically act over 4.

#6 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2019-December-08, 08:28

Sir,in my personal opinion East hand is not worth passing the 2D by partner.An automatic 2H bid stands out.Furthermore ,suggesting West to double the 4H bid is in my personal opinion an expression just a little short of naiveness.

#7 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-December-08, 14:37

It is a big gamble to pass 2D, but you get a bit of luck when partner does have a weak variety. South has chosen to guess what to do (don't these grand masters have methods?) - second piece of luck. You know that you have plenty of defence against a heart contract (e.g. partner leads his suit and you get ruffs). You also know that this hand is a complete misfit. Bidding 5C is a terrible misjudgment. I can't imagine why?!

#8 User is offline   dsLawsd 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-December-08, 14:49

IMHO you should have bid 2! partner should figure it out.
If the suit was hearts partner will make a continuation (you need some agreements here) that will allow for a convenient out.
Good example hand sir.

#9 User is offline   zhammer 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-December-08, 23:55

Sorry. For a simple minded person like me, I think East has lost his mind.
East should figure out that partner has long spades.
So E-W has no fit.
Why bother to bid Clubs??

Common sense.

#10 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-December-09, 22:45

I might suggest you give up the multi, since your partner evidently doesn't know how to use it.

Passing over 2D is very bad; bidding 5C over 4H is simply insane.

Cheers,
Mike

#11 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-December-10, 07:56

View Postpescetom, on 2019-December-07, 11:21, said:

... and psyching 2NT would be no better even if tolerated.

I can't see how it is a psyche, as it is merely an inquiry. I wouldn't try it here, though, as you are too likely to receive an unwanted 3 response, and following with 4 would be taken as a forward move rather than a rescue.

System-wise, if you have a strong option for the opening, you cannot pass if there is a prospect of game opposite a strong option, and there certainly is here. "Scrap your multi", I would say, or have an obligatory 2 with a hand not interested in a heart game if a weak2.

#12 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-December-10, 08:02

View PostAL78, on 2019-December-07, 07:11, said:

I am very good at predicting when thing are going to go tits up during an evening. :lol: :rolleyes:

If this is typical bidding, I am not surprised ! :rolleyes:

#13 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-December-10, 12:57

View PostfromageGB, on 2019-December-10, 08:02, said:

If this is typical bidding, I am not surprised ! :rolleyes:

This one hand is not representitive of the rest of the evening. We played solidly the rest of the time, finishing second.

#14 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2019-December-10, 13:30

View PostfromageGB, on 2019-December-10, 07:56, said:

I can't see how it is a psyche, as it is merely an inquiry. I wouldn't try it here, though, as you are too likely to receive an unwanted 3 response, and following with 4 would be taken as a forward move rather than a rescue.

This is a matter of agreement and may have some national variation too, but over here at least 2NT is usually constructive and requires some useful strength. FWIW I see that wikipedia says:
2NT: Forcing, asking opener to clarify his hand. This bid will be used with stronger hands than those above, where opener is interested in bidding game on the basis of High card point strength rather than having a good fit.

So 2NT with this hand might be considered borderline for a psyche over here, and protected by system too if the 3/3 replies were highly likely (showing weak major of any range or of low-medium range).

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users