BBO Discussion Forums: Unlucky, or can partner play me for six spades? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Unlucky, or can partner play me for six spades?

#1 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2020-March-12, 16:45

A 20% board, as four out of five other pairs were in 4, one stopped in 3 (there is always one). Partner thought I could have been 5-5 so chose clubs over spades. What do you think, can East take a view that I likely have more extreme distribution and correct to the spade game?

Another alternative is for me to open 2 starting with a game force then try to show both suits, but I don't like doing that with a very distributional two suiter, as it takes away bidding space that could be better used to get both suits and strength across, although in the event, that is largely irrelevant when the opposition barrage in hearts.

#2 User is offline   KingCovert 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-March-12, 17:01

Why not double instead of 5?

Your partner passes with heart length, this isn't a bad thing.
Your partner bids 4NT with no minor suit preference and bad major suit holdings, given the auction.
Your partner bids 5 on hands where which minor suit game you play is not likely to make a difference, quite like this one, but in this case that's rather flukey.
Or, on hands like this one, your partner bids 4. Which is exactly what you want.

Double doesn't promise both minors by the way, it is takeout and says that defending 4 is wrong unless you have a stack, in which case, I'd like to penalize, and I don't want to bid past 4 as it could be the best spot.

#3 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-March-12, 17:04

5 is not a great contract, give N the 9 or J in exchange for a club and you're struggling on 3 rounds of diamonds, and that's with the trumps breaking.

#4 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-March-12, 18:47

View PostAL78, on 2020-March-12, 16:45, said:

2 .... but I don't like doing that with a very distributional two suiter, as it takes away bidding space .... although in the event, that is largely irrelevant when the opposition barrage in hearts.

This is actually backwards - In this auction you did get both your suits across. If you had opened 2, you would have to bid 4 to introduce your first suit.

I think all four possible choices - opening 2, 1 then double, 1 then 4 and 1 then 5 are reasonable. Maybe 4 is a bit better at MPs and 5 at IMPs.

Anyway, there's nothing your partner can do about it.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#5 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-March-12, 21:46

Technically, with old-fashioned (purist) Acol bidding rules - assuming Acol is what you play - partner can play you for six s as with 5/5 the correct opening is 1. But...

...many players now open 1 with 5-5 black suit hands, especially using 5M systems like 2/1, SAYC and even Acol.

#6 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2020-March-13, 09:45

Sir, Here is a hand with an intriguing choice of opening bids.Technically there are only 3 losers in the hand. .Quite a few aggressive players may perhaps choose a 2C opening as the spade suit beats them all.My bid is hence 2C .In the present case as posted I would bid bid 4S and not 5C as there is no reason to think that 5S will make if partner chooses it. Responder has passed 2H bid so there is no hope of him having much useful.And one just needs a favourable break in spades and clubs break .

#7 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-March-13, 10:17

I don't see where either E or W did anything so horribly wrong here. Sure, West might have bid 4S rather than 5C, but 5C is fine. Yes, East might have corrected back to 5S, but I think passing is OK, too.

Yes, your partner probably has six spades. With 5125, he might X. But it's not guaranteed. You can be sure he has at least 5 clubs.

You were unlucky in that your N/S opponents jammed the auction, whereas other N/S pairs may not have done so. Not every North would have bid over 1S. The hand is not good enough cardwise for 2H and not good enough trickwise for 3H vulnerable. So many Norths might have passed, in which case you get

1S 1NT (f)
3C 3D
3S 4S

Or something like that.

#8 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2020-March-13, 10:57

View Postmiamijd, on 2020-March-13, 10:17, said:

I don't see where either E or W did anything so horribly wrong here. Sure, West might have bid 4S rather than 5C, but 5C is fine. Yes, East might have corrected back to 5S, but I think passing is OK, too.

Yes, your partner probably has six spades. With 5125, he might X. But it's not guaranteed. You can be sure he has at least 5 clubs.

You were unlucky in that your N/S opponents jammed the auction, whereas other N/S pairs may not have done so. Not every North would have bid over 1S. The hand is not good enough cardwise for 2H and not good enough trickwise for 3H vulnerable. So many Norths might have passed, in which case you get

1S 1NT (f)
3C 3D
3S 4S

Or something like that.

Most N's I know would have bid 3 rather than 2, and S is raising that

#9 User is offline   beowulf 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Bridge, music, railroads, beer

Posted 2020-March-13, 11:56

Personally, I think pass of 5!C is Quixotic. You have said that 5!S and 5!C are both playable contracts at the 5-level. At IMPs, it would be OK to pass 5!C. But at matchpoints? No, with Qx versus xxx, I think partner owed you a spade preference.

#10 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-March-13, 11:58

I think I too would bid 2 as I'm basically only interested in diamonds control and the Q here, at least at MPs.

#11 User is offline   dsLawsd 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-March-13, 14:19

Some unlucky guesses here. Certainly at imps 5 seems perfect as you lack defense of the red suits. Depending upon who had what for dinner at matchpoints gives a tossup. I would bid 5
as East in case partner had the magic AKJxxx or better in spades.

#12 User is offline   SelfGovern 

• PipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge (huh?), Toastmasters, Data Storage, photography

Posted 2020-March-13, 18:56

There is a lot to be said for opening 55 black hands with 1!C. If that is your agreement, it works very well here; partner knows that you have 6-5 or better because you opened 1!S.

Other hands where you are 5-5, you might even be able to play at 4!S instead of at the five level.
Liberty breeds responsibility

#13 User is offline   nudnikbp 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2020-March-13, 20:21

North made a vulnerable overcall that deserved to be punished,but he got away with it this time and it hurt your auction.

#14 User is offline   daxx 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-March-13, 21:35

You are missing Q, J, 10 and 9 . I think bidding 4 is the limit for the hand. Turns out that the missing cards sat great but you can't know that while you're bidding.

#15 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-March-14, 19:43

View PostCyberyeti, on 2020-March-13, 10:57, said:

Most N's I know would have bid 3 rather than 2, and S is raising that

I wonder what sort of Norths you know then :unsure:

North has a 5-trick hand. You want him to overbid the hand by 4 tricks vulnerable. That deserves to get hammered.

Personally, I almost always play South or East, so I would not be among the Norths you know :D

#16 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-March-15, 23:06

View Postmiamijd, on 2020-March-14, 19:43, said:

North has a 5-trick hand. You want him to overbid the hand by 4 tricks vulnerable. That deserves to get hammered.

Personally, I almost always play South or East, so I would not be among the Norths you know :D

I think the point is that 2 is a significant overbid, because it shows around the values of an opening hand, while 3 shows a weak hand. If you don't feel like preempting because of the vulnerability, then Pass is the alternative.

#17 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2020-March-16, 03:00

View Postmiamijd, on 2020-March-14, 19:43, said:

If you play weak jumps as most do round here, this is quite a good one.

2 is not even a possibility for us it's 3 or pass, and I'm not passing.

I'm surprised nobody was in 5, 5 is actually a good save.

#18 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2020-March-16, 12:45

View PostCyberyeti, on 2020-March-16, 03:00, said:

I'm not. My guess is that no-one overcalled hearts, so EW had a free run to 4 (this sort of thing seems to happen quite frequently).

#19 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-March-16, 13:06

View PostCyberyeti, on 2020-March-16, 03:00, said:

I'm not keen on either 2H or 3H, vulnerable opposite a paseed-hand partner on a semi-balanced 7-count (I would want more shape - particularly a 7-card suit for 3H). I agree with Miamjid that 3H is asking to be whacked. But since it is pairs, I might consider a 2H bid, primarily to attract a lead. Yes, this should promise more, but opposite a passed hand the bid has a wider range and lead direction is important.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users