Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Adverts flashing on screen

#1 User is offline   CHJCBC 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-July-20, 11:49

In the last few days suddenly flashing adverts have appeared on the left hand side of my laptop screen while I am playing bridge on BBO.
I had to stick post it notes all down the left hand side to try to cover up the distracting feature.
I can't find a way to move them out of my sight while trying to play bridge!
Has anyone else encountered this problem and has anyone got a solution!?

#2 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-July-20, 17:17

View PostCHJCBC, on 2020-July-20, 11:49, said:

In the last few days suddenly flashing adverts have appeared on the left hand side of my laptop screen while I am playing bridge on BBO.
I had to stick post it notes all down the left hand side to try to cover up the distracting feature.

BBO is a free platform showing ads to cover part of the costs of maintaining the site free.

As soon as you spend money on the site, ads are hidden for a week.

Pay games range from 25 cents to 10+ dollars, depending on what type - any of them hides ads for a week. Or of you aren't the competitive type there's a BBO Prime subscription at $6 / month that offers access to a private clubs, free advanced robots, a magazine subscription and other goodies -- plus it hides ads.

#3 User is offline   Capt_Ravi 

• PipPip

Posted 2020-July-20, 23:14

Hi Diana, It would be just perfect if you can also add the rights to host pairs events for Prime Members, to go with the above privileges :)

View Postdiana_eva, on 2020-July-20, 17:17, said:

BBO is a free platform showing ads to cover part of the costs of maintaining the site free.

As soon as you spend money on the site, ads are hidden for a week.

Pay games range from 25 cents to 10+ dollars, depending on what type - any of them hides ads for a week. Or of you aren't the competitive type there's a BBO Prime subscription at $6 / month that offers access to a private clubs, free advanced robots, a magazine subscription and other goodies -- plus it hides ads.

#4 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-July-21, 06:10

View PostCapt_Ravi, on 2020-July-20, 23:14, said:

Hi Diana, It would be just perfect if you can also add the rights to host pairs events for Prime Members, to go with the above privileges :)

That's a great idea. Apparently BBO is constantly striving to add new features to the Prime area for us. I have started a thread about it.
It would be good if you could add your thoughts there. Just follow the link: https://www.bridgeba...age__mode__show
Fortuna Fortis Felix

#5 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-21, 11:00

In real life people need to pass some certification to become tournament directors.

#6 User is offline   mattias 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-July-21, 14:21

View PostCHJCBC, on 2020-July-20, 11:49, said:

Just move the browser window so that part of it is off screen?

#7 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-21, 15:51

View Postdiana_eva, on 2020-July-21, 11:00, said:

In real life people need to pass some certification to become tournament directors.

Are you suggesting that the people that come to play on BBO are not real? Or are you saying that the tournament directors on BBO lack some sort of competency that Directors not on BBO have? Or is it both?
Fortuna Fortis Felix

#8 User is offline   Capt_Ravi 

• PipPip

Posted 2020-July-21, 18:52

View Postdiana_eva, on 2020-July-21, 11:00, said:

While what you say is true in some real life cases, it certainly is not in all. For instance, in the small town that I play in I have been directing tournaments for over 6 years now without certification. I would like to get a certification, but I have to travel a few hundred miles and do the course and sit for the test. So I read up and keep abreast of requirements and developments and my players seem happy with it! May be, BBO could do that also online, and then award or not award the permission to host pairs tournaments. Just another suggestion!

#9 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-22, 02:04

View Postpilowsky, on 2020-July-21, 15:51, said:

Are you suggesting that the people that come to play on BBO are not real? Or are you saying that the tournament directors on BBO lack some sort of competency that Directors not on BBO have? Or is it both?

I'm saying that normally the ability to create tournaments is only granted to users who have some credentials or proven experience in being capable of running a tournament. At the very least some minimum seniority criteria in using the BBO platform.

The recent flood of users who need tournament permissions are real life club managers and directors who do know what a tournament is and how its supposed to work. Even so BBO turned into a jungle while they learned how to properly set the restrictions they wanted, and remembered to actually be online to attend their tournaments at the hours they were scheduled for and all sorts of new-to-BBO bumps and problems.

Prime is typically an offer for brand new users, new to bridge, shy to jump in to play with the others in the main club, perhaps eager to learn. Adding a superuser power tool like tournament management into this mix seems weird.

#10 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-22, 02:43

View Postdiana_eva, on 2020-July-22, 02:04, said:

I'm saying that normally the ability to create tournaments is only granted to users who have some credentials or proven experience in being capable of running a tournament. At the very least some minimum seniority criteria in using the BBO platform.

The recent flood of users who need tournament permissions are real life club managers and directors who do know what a tournament is and how its supposed to work. Even so BBO turned into a jungle while they learned how to properly set the restrictions they wanted, and remembered to actually be online to attend their tournaments at the hours they were scheduled for and all sorts of new-to-BBO bumps and problems.

Prime is typically an offer for brand new users, new to bridge, shy to jump in to play with the others in the main club, perhaps eager to learn. Adding a superuser power tool like tournament management into this mix seems weird.

In that case, there appears to be a major disconnect between your concept of Prime and reality.

It appears to me that the people that play in Prime are quite seasoned players who are not in the least bit shy. We use it to practice. It is an excellent space for this purpose.

You may have noticed that I am promoting it all over the place and I do not work for BBO.

I have met several players in the Prime area. They are not shy and they know what they are doing. I rarely do well in the Prime tournament. Of course, I rarely do well anywhere, but I doubt that your characterisation of this area is correct.

Regarding team matches, These do not require credentials to allow a person to set them up and run them outside the Prime area. Anybody can do it. I did myself for a while.
You just need to have 8 people who will stick around.
You need credentials if there is a dropout and there are sub. problems. Isn't that correct?

Fortuna Fortis Felix

#11 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-22, 02:49

View Postpilowsky, on 2020-July-22, 02:43, said:

Regarding team matches, These do not require credentials to allow a person to set them up and run them outside the Prime area. Anybody can do it. I did myself for a while.

Brand new users cannot create team matches.

#12 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-22, 02:53

View Postpilowsky, on 2020-July-22, 02:43, said:

In that case, there appears to be a major disconnect between your concept of Prime and reality.

It appears to me that the people that play in Prime are quite seasoned players who are not in the least bit shy. We use it to practice. It is an excellent space for this purpose.

You may have noticed that I am promoting it all over the place and I do not work for BBO.

I have met several players in the Prime area. They are not shy and they know what they are doing. I rarely do well in the Prime tournament. Of course, I rarely do well anywhere, but I doubt that your characterisation of this area is correct.

You just need to have 8 people who will stick around.
You need credentials if there is a dropout and there are sub. problems. Isn't that correct?

All I'm saying is that newbies are likely to subscribe because it's a somewhat "protected" place to get started. That doesn't automatically mean that experienced users won't be interested :) It's a subscription for everyone, obviously.

#13 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-22, 03:00

Leaving this aside, charging a monthly fee for tournament creation permissions is a reasonable payment model. It can be associated with some Prime powerusers like teachers and pros for example. But it is not the type of tool or feature to hand over like candy without ensuring whoever uses it knows what they are doing.

#14 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-22, 03:35

View Postdiana_eva, on 2020-July-22, 03:00, said:

Leaving this aside, charging a monthly fee for tournament creation permissions is a reasonable payment model. It can be associated with some Prime powerusers like teachers and pros for example. But it is not the type of tool or feature to hand over like candy without ensuring whoever uses it knows what they are doing.

I like candy. But on a more serious note. Please be serious.
Fortuna Fortis Felix

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users