BBO Discussion Forums: New Minor Forcing - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

New Minor Forcing First of a few questions about problematic bids

#1 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-September-03, 16:54

Hi all

After originally learning basic Acol with very few bells and whistles, I sometimes find aspects of GiB 2/1 rather complex, unnecessarily so, and occasionally so highly constrained that some sequences can get me into trouble - and if I didn't have the tooltips would not have a clue what some bids/systems actually mean

I'm not getting into really obscure ones but this one is one of the more commonly used forcing bids that occasionally causes me problems because we are looking at NT but it gives me no indication of Club holding at all

Eventually you just take the plunge and hope there isnt a gaping hole in your contract somewhere

#2 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-03, 17:38

Sometimes you do have to hope that there is not a suit wide open. Besides, they haven’t led it yet.

In any case, this “New Minor Forcing” is a checkback bid, so you should show your hearts.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#3 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-03, 17:54

View PostVampyr, on 2020-September-03, 17:38, said:

Sometimes you do have to hope that there is not a suit wide open. Besides, they haven’t led it yet.

In any case, this “New Minor Forcing” is a checkback bid, so you should show your hearts.

ok thanks Vampyr. As I said I don't know all the bids that GiB uses and the full system for each of them and often rely on checking the bidding tips to make a decision on an appropriate bid. will read up that system more

#4 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-03, 19:15

Wikipedia's page is a reasonable description (primarily applying to NMF over 1NT, but same principles over 2NT)

North might have 5 spades and wants to know if you have 3, or 4 hearts and wants to know if you have 4.

Strictly speaking the new minor forcing response to 3 would be 3 to deny both majors and a club stopper, after which North can bid 3NT himself. Though some may argue to not tell the opponents this and just bid 3NT directly anyway.

There are also better alternatives to NMF over 2NT, though obviously you have no choice with GIB.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users