• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Teams disaster board

#1 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2021-April-24, 12:44

2 was a strong Acol two in a suit (8 playing trick hand) or 22-23 HCP balanced.

I didn't know what to do over 2 so decided to pass and let partner clarify her hand. Unfortunately I got endplayed in the bidding. 3 was the best thing I could think of, raised to game, three down. We should be in 3NT.

This was played on RealBridge and for some reason on this round I couldn't see or hear my RHO and vice versa, so my partner decided to do the explanation of the 3 for me (yes I know it is not right, I could have communicated through LHO) and she explained 3 as forcing me to bid.

I did think of doubling instead of passing, but didn't know how partner would take that and it is not clear where the auction will go. Maybe we need some system after interference of a strong 2 bid like pass = 0-4 HCP, double=5-7 HCP, something else = 8+ HCP. What do you think?

#2 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-April-24, 13:29

View PostAL78, on 2021-April-24, 12:44, said:

Maybe we need some system after interference of a strong 2 bid like pass = 0-4 HCP, double=5-7 HCP, something else = 8+ HCP. What do you think?

The standard approach is that double shows a bad hand while pass shows some values. So I would also pass.

Your partner opened 2 intending to rebid 2N. I don't see any reason to change their mind after the interference.

#3 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-April-24, 13:43

View Postsmerriman, on 2021-April-24, 13:29, said:

The standard approach is that double shows a bad hand while pass shows some values. So I would also pass.

Your partner opened 2 intending to rebid 2N. I don't see any reason to change their mind after the interference.

My partner has a tendency to be afraid of bidding NT holding something like an ace as a solitary stopper in an opponent's suit. She was concerned I might have little or nothing useful and a NT contract could go badly after the defence knock out her ace and she cannot establish enough tricks before they run their hearts.

#4 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-April-24, 14:00

The standard approach is that double shows a bad hand while pass shows some values

This is sort of standard, but some large number of years ago I decided that I hate this treatment. I just use takeout doubles from both sides these days, similar to how preempts are handled in almost every other situation. Needs discussion with partner.

Opener clearly should have bid 2nt.

Cue bidding 3H when no one has doubled 2H should probably mean "I have hearts!" IMO. It's a good way to expose psyches from jokers who try to pick off your suit intending to run if doubled for penalty.

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-April-24, 14:39

The strong hand has only 2 options, 2N(best) or 3, 3 is ridiculous on that hand and shows something with a lot more shape.

#6 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-April-24, 14:50

View Postsmerriman, on 2021-April-24, 13:29, said:

The standard approach is that double shows a bad hand while pass shows some values.

I was taught that pass is always forcing, double of 4-level shows a bad hand but double of 2 or 3 level is punishment holding their suit. I guess it depends partly on how likely they are to psyche.

#7 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-April-24, 15:23

View PostAL78, on 2021-April-24, 13:43, said:

My partner has a tendency to be afraid of bidding NT holding something like an ace as a solitary stopper in an opponent's suit. She was concerned I might have little or nothing useful and a NT contract could go badly after the defence knock out her ace and she cannot establish enough tricks before they run their hearts.

But unafraid of forcing to the four level without a fit? Which I hope emphasises that three hearts is not the best choice.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#8 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2021-April-25, 00:42

Your partner's bidding is truly horrific. Honestly find a better player to play with or stop worrying so much about these types of hands.
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#9 User is offline   Douglas43 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Walking, boring my wife with bridge stories

Posted 2021-April-25, 02:59

I would rebid 2NT, but if your partner is reluctant to bid no trumps on ace-empty, which I kind of get, 3 has not worked out badly. 3NT over your 3 must mean "I have a balanced hand with just one heart stop and haven't got four card support for your suit".

#10 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-April-25, 03:11

View PostDouglas43, on 2021-April-25, 02:59, said:

I would rebid 2NT, but if your partner is reluctant to bid no trumps on ace-empty, which I kind of get, 3 has not worked out badly. 3NT over your 3 must mean "I have a balanced hand with just one heart stop and haven't got four card support for your suit".

Then partner doesn't know what to do, he doesn't want to pull to 4 on 6 to the J and out and find you have a massive hand with a lot of top tricks and a stiff spade. I don't think 3N is necessarily balanced, it may have 9 tricks in NT, it will have a heart stop and no spade fit.

#11 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-April-25, 03:19

What would a double by partner have meant? For me it would be takeout, which includes 22-23 balanced without a double guard in hearts. West might even convert it to penalties.

#12 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-April-25, 03:49

Not bidding 2NT with Axx was almost criminal but cue bidding with a flat hand like this, hoping partner would do sth intelligent is way beyond that.

Contrary to the others, above a low level intervention, X shows values, rather balanced, probably w/o stopper otherwise you can bid NT, and pass is nothing to say. Suits are natural, 5+, at least A, K or QJ, with values. Cue is like a positive with short in enemy’s suit. At least when 4th hand raises the overcaller, the big hand knows what to expect opposite.

But over high level interference, X is weak, meaning I am broke and not at ease to go play 5-sth, so do it on you le own, while pass welcomes a bid from partner.

#13 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-April-25, 03:59

View PostDavidKok, on 2021-April-25, 03:19, said:

What would a double by partner have meant? For me it would be takeout, which includes 22-23 balanced without a double guard in hearts. West might even convert it to penalties.

I would have interpreted it as strong balanced/semi-balanced, was planning to bid 2NT but has no heart stop or has one and is doubtful it is sufficient. The question is what do I do after that? Going for a penalty looks very tempting, the opponents are notorious for bidding on nothing and I would find it incredible if 2X didn't go for several multiples of 100.

#14 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2021-April-25, 04:33

AL78 'I didn't know what to do over 2 so decided to pass and let partner clarify her hand. Unfortunately I got endplayed in the bidding. 3 was the best thing I could think of, raised to game, three down. We should be in 3NT.This was played on RealBridge and for some reason on this round I couldn't see or hear my RHO and vice versa, so my partner decided to do the explanation of the 3 for me (yes I know it is not right, I could have communicated through LHO) and she explained 3 as forcing me to bid. I did think of doubling instead of passing, but didn't know how partner would take that and it is not clear where the auction will go. Maybe 2 was a strong Acol two in a suit (8 playing trick hand) or 22-23 HCP balanced. We need some system after interference of a strong 2 bid like pass = 0-4 HCP, double=5-7 HCP, something else = 8+ HCP. What do you think?'
+++++++++++++++++++
Over South's 2, I agree with West's Pass. For East I rank:
1. 2N = NAT 22-23. Quite descriptive :)
2. 3 = G/F Exaggerates the s :(
3. DBL = T/O but partner will expect more s :(

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users