BBO Discussion Forums: Points limited individual tournaments? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Points limited individual tournaments?

#1 User is offline   donnamf 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-September-17, 16:49

When I don’t have a real life partner, I sometimes try the individuals. Quality of bidding and play is all over the map. How about an option with master point ranges to even this out? Personally I would find it a lot more enjoyable.

#2 User is offline   Huibertus 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-September-18, 08:45

The problem being master points account for high age rather then skills.

#3 User is offline   donnamf 

• PipPip

Posted 2021-September-19, 09:20

View PostHuibertus, on 2021-September-18, 08:45, said:

The problem being master points account for high age rather then skills.

Well, sometimes. Then how about how players identify, i.e. advanced, intermediate, etc.

#4 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2021-September-19, 12:26

View Postdonnamf, on 2021-September-19, 09:20, said:

Well, sometimes. Then how about how players identify, i.e. advanced, intermediate, etc.

People have no idea how bad they actually are
Alderaan delenda est

#5 User is offline   Huibertus 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-September-19, 13:31

View Postdonnamf, on 2021-September-19, 09:20, said:

Yes, that is problematic too. In one of these individuals today i Partnered an "Expert" who bid an ambitious 6 Spades, losing two trumps with KQ9X opposing XXXX. JT had been played in front of him and the Ace taken second round in the other hand. Back on lead all he had to do was play Trump 9 and claim, but he managed to get overruffed for tricks further in the play...

#6 User is offline   donnamf 

• PipPip

Posted 2021-September-19, 14:17

View PostHuibertus, on 2021-September-19, 13:31, said:

Yes, that is problematic too. In one of these individuals today i Partnered an "Expert" who bid an ambitious 6 Spades, losing two trumps with KQ9X opposing XXXX. JT had been played in front of him and the Ace taken second round in the other hand. Back on lead all he had to do was play Trump 9 and claim, but he managed to get overruffed for tricks further in the play...

Yeah, I’ve had similar experiences. Oh well…

#7 User is offline   donnamf 

• PipPip

Posted 2021-September-19, 14:18

View Posthrothgar, on 2021-September-19, 12:26, said:

No question!

#8 User is offline   RD350LC 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-September-19, 18:09

View PostHuibertus, on 2021-September-19, 13:31, said:

When I see a partner make such a bone-headed play like that, I say "Nice compression play" Afterwards, when they say Thank You, I follow up by saying-nice compression play, you compressed 10 tricks into 8 (as the case may be).

#9 User is offline   gail1111 

• Pip

Posted 2021-September-19, 19:42

View Postdonnamf, on 2021-September-17, 16:49, said:

When I don’t have a real life partner, I sometimes try the individuals. Quality of bidding and play is all over the map. How about an option with master point ranges to even this out? Personally I would find it a lot more enjoyable.

I have found that keeping a list of friends, or follow is the best way to find partners that are compatible. I agree that some are expert or advanced rating but play does not match. I do not agree in being rude. These people do not realize that saying you are expert does not make it so. I put those players under ignore and if really bad in general play, one click and i am gone.

you could perhaps request one of the people on your follow list if they would like to take part in a tournament.

#10 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-September-20, 02:22

View Postdonnamf, on 2021-September-17, 16:49, said:

...Quality of bidding and play is all over the map...

Compared to what?

#11 User is offline   donnamf 

• PipPip

Posted 2021-September-20, 19:08

View Postpilowsky, on 2021-September-20, 02:22, said:

Compared to what?

Thanks for the laugh!

#12 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-September-21, 10:42

From the Imperious rules of bridge:

15. When playing in an individual, treat your partners with courtesy and respect. Don't make life tough on them, but give them a chance and you will often get pleasantly surprised. Give them no chance and you cannot win.

16. If you have not been passed in blackwood, you cannot win an individual.

20 years old, and still correct.

Everyone wants someone slightly better than as good as they are as partner, against opponents who are slightly worse on their level. For every person that "can't bid" to you, there's one that you "can't bid". That's the joy, and the pain, of an individual.

Yes, there could be flighted individuals. Yes, if you make it into a particular flight (or choose to play in that flight), you'll get a better class of CHO. But of course, the people in the lower flights never get a chance to get a better class of CHO, maybe the one (you? me?) that shows them the gateway into becoming a better class of player themselves.

But note that masterpoints are a horrible method of determining skill. Even worse on BBO, where players from all over the world exist, and who knows what their masterpoint scheme means.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#13 User is offline   donnamf 

• PipPip

Posted 2021-September-21, 11:16

View Postmycroft, on 2021-September-21, 10:42, said:

From the Imperious rules of bridge:
20 years old, and still correct.

Everyone wants someone slightly better than as good as they are as partner, against opponents who are slightly worse on their level. For every person that "can't bid" to you, there's one that you "can't bid". That's the joy, and the pain, of an individual.

Yes, there could be flighted individuals. Yes, if you make it into a particular flight (or choose to play in that flight), you'll get a better class of CHO. But of course, the people in the lower flights never get a chance to get a better class of CHO, maybe the one (you? me?) that shows them the gateway into becoming a better class of player themselves.

But note that masterpoints are a horrible method of determining skill. Even worse on BBO, where players from all over the world exist, and who knows what their masterpoint scheme means.

I couldn’t agree with you more! I even say hello sometimes before a match. I guess two things frustrate me. The ultra slow bidding and play sometimes for no reason that I can fathom. And, although BBO self-descriptions are utterly subjective, I’m not keen on “private”. Especially when you have no system or conventions listed, I’d like to have something to go on.

#14 User is offline   donnamf 

• PipPip

Posted 2021-September-21, 11:21

View Postgail1111, on 2021-September-19, 19:42, said:

I have found that keeping a list of friends, or follow is the best way to find partners that are compatible. I agree that some are expert or advanced rating but play does not match. I do not agree in being rude. These people do not realize that saying you are expert does not make it so. I put those players under ignore and if really bad in general play, one click and i am gone.

you could perhaps request one of the people on your follow list if they would like to take part in a tournament.

Thanks, Gail. I do have a couple of people I’ve friended and need to do some following up.

#15 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-September-21, 12:38

View Postdonnamf, on 2021-September-21, 11:16, said:

And, although BBO self-descriptions are utterly subjective, I’m not keen on “private”. Especially when you have no system or conventions listed, I’d like to have something to go on.

I think it gives a lot to go on :(

#16 User is offline   thesidster 

• PipPip

Posted 2021-September-25, 03:02

View Posthrothgar, on 2021-September-19, 12:26, said:

At the very least, people who self identify as Novice, Private or Beginner can be screened.
Soemthing is always better than nothing!

#17 User is offline   spade7 

• PipPip

Posted 2021-October-05, 03:56

Some real experts classify themselves as novice.

#18 User is offline   donnamf 

• PipPip

Posted 2021-October-11, 18:18

I got passed today in a cue bid and played in a 2-1 trump suit. Hilarious! My partner was “intermediate”. Anyway it’s always interesting. I do trust Beginner and Novice to be accurate (but will be watching for those experts Spade mentioned above.

#19 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2021-October-12, 09:12

View Postdonnamf, on 2021-October-11, 18:18, said:

I got passed today in a cue bid and played in a 2-1 trump suit. Hilarious! My partner was “intermediate”. Anyway it’s always interesting. I do trust Beginner and Novice to be accurate (but will be watching for those experts Spade mentioned above.

Last week I passed my partner's splinter raise. Luckily it was a game among friends and they let me undo.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users