BBO Discussion Forums: Lack of Convention Cards by Many Partnerships - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lack of Convention Cards by Many Partnerships Lack of Convention Cards

#1 User is offline   dtaneri 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-July-30, 12:00

I am truly disappointed by BBO decision not to require convention cards. I find myself playing against everything from stars to rank beginners that have not bothered to fill out a convention card. The ACBL requires two identically filled out convention cards at all events they run.

#2 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2021-July-30, 12:44

If it makes you happy, you can do exactly what the ACBL does and pretend that the opponents are playing SAYC or 2/1 or whatever rocks your boat...
Alderaan delenda est

#3 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-July-30, 14:01

In the main club, I sit down to play with someone I've never seen before. What card do you want? You drop in four hands later; should we have posted a card by now?

In a tournament, I'm a sub for the half-table, or for the person who just lost connection. Again?

I agree - pairs playing regularly should have a card for you. That's not everybody. That's not every game. That's not every tournament.

And "The ACBL requires two identically filled out convention cards at all events they run." - yes they do. Now tell me the last time every pair you played against in a face-to-face tournament even had one - for the partner they were playing with today (lots just had a "scorecard cover"), or that had been updated in the last 5 years. Because I don't remember my last time - probably one of the (four) sessions of the Chicago NABC+ Mixed Pairs.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#4 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2021-July-30, 14:14

View Postdtaneri, on 2021-July-30, 12:00, said:

I am truly disappointed by BBO decision not to require convention cards. I find myself playing against everything from stars to rank beginners that have not bothered to fill out a convention card. The ACBL requires two identically filled out convention cards at all events they run.

Yes, that's what the laws say but it is rarely enforced, to require even one convention card.
I don't believe there is any interest in applying this law, online or offline so don't disadvantage yourself by having a CC available.

#5 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2021-July-30, 14:43

View Postdtaneri, on 2021-July-30, 12:00, said:

On-line, you can adopt a standard card; or amend it to suit your preferences; It takes moments to create cards for regular partners. It's easy for BBO to ensure that partners use the same card. The WBF should enforce a law mandating that partnerships display identical cards in an acceptable international format (perhaps based on recent FD improvements like Kungsgeten's). Adequate disclosure is fundamental to creating a level playing field for enjoying Bridge. Responsibility shouldn't be delegated to local regulators.

#6 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2021-July-30, 15:47

View Postnige1, on 2021-July-30, 14:43, said:

It's easy for BBO to ensure that partners use the same card.

Yeap. Thats easy as pie.
Making sure that the pairs understand this card or are playing this card or are paying attention what-so-ever to this card...

That's a whole nother kettle of fish.

Consider the the number of players who claim to be playing SAYC
What percentage of them are playing anything close?

Cosmetic fixes and bands are really easy.
But they don't actually address any of the problems.
Alderaan delenda est

#7 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-July-30, 17:17

Edit (removed NR)

#8 User is offline   Chas_P 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-July-30, 19:24

View Posthrothgar, on 2021-July-30, 15:47, said:

Consider the the number of players who claim to be playing SAYC
What percentage of them are playing anything close?

Exactly. I see profiles that say "SAYC, strong jumpshifts, 2NT response shows opening bid". It's hilarious. Just go with the flow. It's not a perfect world.

#9 User is offline   dsLawsd 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-July-30, 23:56

It could be fixed but only full disclosure by the participants fills the bill really. What is worse is those who will not disclose their full names.
should be mandatory for serious tournament play.

#10 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-July-31, 10:03

Again, why?

Sure, it's easy - for BBO players - to find my real name. But if I have "Jim Smith" (yes, I know one, and yes, he plays (kitchen) bridge) instead of what's actually there, what's it to you?

The ACBL has a link between BBO handle and "bridge real name"; if there are issues, they get reported and things don't get lost. In other "serious tournaments" the organizer will also have that information.

But given the comments I've seen here and (especially) elsewhere, if I "couldn't play" the way I can't (you know, in the top 15% or so of tournament bridge players, but still "not real bridge"), but my name was Sandy or Katelyn (or Asif or Seema!), I could very easily understand not having my real name out there. Or, you know, if I have a stalker, which doesn't just apply to semi-famous players and hollywood stars. Or...
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#11 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2021-August-02, 03:44

I removed a series of posts going off thread.

Paul and Richard, cut it out please. Go play in the watercooler please.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users