Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Profiles

#1 User is offline   5cant 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-August-05, 20:24

Players of all levels...PLEASE add your PROFILE to your Account. I will not play with someone who doesn’t have a profile.

#2 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-August-06, 08:57

What would you want as a profile? Why do you want it? What's the issue? Do I care if you don't play with me?

Some of these are serious questions. Some are not. For one, I don't think that my profile - which was completed over a decade ago, and hasn't changed - would suffice for you.

One has an answer that you can't determine, but I'll tell you what it is: I only play with people I know or people they vouch for. I would much rather play with three robots than a random member of the Permanent Floating Pickup Party.

If you won't play with someone with a blank profile (or a private name, or ...) then you won't. Those without profiles, or with profiles that don't have what you're looking for, quite possibly have that because they don't want to play with you.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#3 User is offline   5cant 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-August-06, 12:19

View Postmycroft, on 2021-August-06, 08:57, said:

What would you want as a profile? Why do you want it? What's the issue? Do I care if you don't play with me?

I would want to know what system, convention and maybe "gadgets" you play. I "want it" because I prefer to play with people who have similar profiles as mine. The "issue is"...I prefer to play with someone who has a profile and NO I don't care if YOU don't want to play with me!! If you want to play with people you know or who people "they vouch for" well that's your prerogative. I like to meet new people and make new friends. If someone doesn't want to play with me for whatever reason...that's their choice.

Some of these are serious questions. Some are not. For one, I don't think that my profile - which was completed over a decade ago, and hasn't changed - would suffice for you.

You have a very negative opinion of me right from the "getgo" so yes I don't think your profile "would suffice" for me. Bridge is a game of communication and if I have a partner with no profile it's very difficult to communicate.

One has an answer that you can't determine, but I'll tell you what it is: I only play with people I know or people they vouch for. I would much rather play with three robots than a random member of the Permanent Floating Pickup Party.

If you won't play with someone with a blank profile (or a private name, or ...) then you won't. Those without profiles, or with profiles that don't have what you're looking for, quite possibly have that because they don't want to play with you.

This post has been edited by barmar: 2021-August-07, 10:22
Reason for edit: separate quote from replies

#4 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-August-06, 14:32

5cant5 said:

The "issue is"...I prefer to play with someone who has a profile and NO I don't care if YOU don't want to play with me!! If you want to play with people you know or who people "they vouch for" well that's your prerogative. I like to meet new people and make new friends. If someone doesn't want to play with me for whatever reason...that's their choice.

Everything you've just said there is 100% confirming mycroft's point. All of that is their choice, so it makes no sense to ask "players of all levels" to fill in a profile.

If you instead meant to ask "everything that joins my table in the MBC"; then simply lock the table, and only accept people with profiles. If you're playing at an unlocked table.. well, you're never going to be able to control anything there.

#5 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-September-22, 10:09

Late, but still:

View Post5cant, on 2021-August-06, 12:19, said:

I would want to know what system, convention and maybe "gadgets" you play. I "want it" because I prefer to play with people who have similar profiles as mine. The "issue is"...I prefer to play with someone who has a profile and NO I don't care if YOU don't want to play with me!! If you want to play with people you know or who people "they vouch for" well that's your prerogative. I like to meet new people and make new friends. If someone doesn't want to play with me for whatever reason...that's their choice.
Sure, makes sense. My profile, from memory: "2/1, K/S, Precision, EHAA, willing to learn others". My opinion is that if you want to discuss a convention card - that's what convention cards are for. I have some, you have some, post one and I'll tell you what I won't play. Because of that, it's likely that you don't want to play with me, our styles don't mesh.

You want to play with someone with a profile that contains all the standard gadgets. I want to play with someone I know, or can trust to be a good partner. Why is your choice more important than mine, that you shout about it? Or that you believe you can make the rules for everyone else?

Your last sentence is exactly my response: if you don't want to play with me, that's your choice. It's *not* your choice to demand what I, or anyone else, does with their profile. Okay, "PLEASE" is a request ... technically; when phrased that way, it's a demand.

You have a very negative opinion of me right from the "getgo" so yes I don't think your profile "would suffice" for me. Bridge is a game of communication and if I have a partner with no profile it's very difficult to communicate.
"What do you play, partner?" "Is my profile okay?" "check my card posted, please" "2/1, UDCA, usual ACBL gadgets?"

Seems easy to me.

I don't have a negative opinion of you, in particular. I do have an issue with "person X has one opinion. Person Y has another, and is so firmly convinced that their opinion is more important/correct that they demand in public to be acquiesced to, without thinking or caring or expecting pushback." When I hear that in a supposed "partnership" game, I tend to respond in kind, just to show the person what their position sounds like to others.

And what if my profile stated: "Be good to partner; try to keep him on your side. It's easy to convince him to join the enemy." - Imperious Rule #8? I promise you that's more important to me, and to many many bridge players, than whether she plays Flannery or Bergen or whatever.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users