BBO Discussion Forums: Another what do you bid here - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Another what do you bid here

#21 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2021-August-29, 07:07

View PostCyberyeti, on 2021-August-29, 00:56, said:

All on the card alongside the 4 card weak 2s, we assume for bumping them up that they're 5 cards long (it's rarely 4), 4-4 is much more likely than 5-3.

Yes if the trumps aren't splitting we can get doubled, but do you really want to double 4 in this sort of auction on Qxx or Kxx and find your partner has 0-1 of them rather than the other holding.

I take it you don’t encounter forcing passes very much.

After 1m (2S) 3H, we’re forced to game. You bid 4S, opener passes, what do you think responder does with no 5 level safety?

Yes, wild preemptions can cause problems. Even the best pairs will sometimes go wrong. That’s why Bergen-Cohen were notorious back in the day. It happens that they were often playing on a team with a wealthy but very weak sponsor….playing solid bridge was not ever going to be enough. Plus nobody had seen anything like it.

But good players these days have a better idea of how to deal with this sort of thing.

Finally: imo, simply putting this on your CC may help you win some director rulings but is (again, my opinion) extraordinarily unethical. I rethink you need to alert or pre-announce. Who looks at convention cards when a player makes a common bid, with no alert?

I know for sure I’d think anyone who thinks CC disclosure is enough is trying to win by hoping that the opps won’t notice what’s written on the CC. Count me out.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#22 User is offline   mikl_plkcc 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:sailing, bridge

Posted 2021-August-29, 12:23

View PostAL78, on 2021-August-28, 02:56, said:

Sorry, there were (unusually) a lot of interesting hands yesterday evening.

Teams, 5CM strong NT, no-one vuln:

2S = weak

Your call?

double

I don't think it's worthwhile to compete here as partner doesn't guarantee much value. The A and AK are good defensive values.

#23 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2021-August-29, 13:00

View Postmikl_plkcc, on 2021-August-29, 12:23, said:

double

I don't think it's worthwhile to compete here as partner doesn't guarantee much value. The A and AK are good defensive values.

Curious here - what system and in which country does 3H in this auction show a hand that doesn’t guarantee much value and what would that hand be?
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#24 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2021-August-29, 13:13

View Postmikl_plkcc, on 2021-August-29, 12:23, said:

double

You are possibly the only player in the world who, if not playing NFB, thinks 3H doesn’t deliver game forcing values

And I’m not sure how many pairs who play NFB would play them here….certainly when I flirted with them, this would NOT have been a NFB.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users