BBO Discussion Forums: One of the more ridiculous hands this year - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

One of the more ridiculous hands this year

#1 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2021-November-27, 11:31

This hand from the teams Friday evening is what I might call a comical train wreck:

This was the auction at my table (I was West). I got the Q lead and ended up with 8 tricks. You can make 3NT because the minor honors are perfectly placed and South and their heart suit can be cut off.

At the time I thought partner should have raised to 3NT (we play 1NT as 6-9 HCP, so she is maximum) which I would very likely make by playing to the diamond jack and the club tenace (I didn't fancy taking the club finesse for an overtrick at the time).

The result on the other table was ridiculous:

4 card majors on that table. 2NT went six off for -300. After the dreadful overcall South did well to pass, as whatever they try to scramble to, they are almost certainly going to get whacked. That was five imps out. It would have been a good sacrifice against 3NT had we bid and made it :lol: .

#2 User is offline   Gerardo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2021-November-27, 12:57

Why didn't East double 2NT at the other table (can penalize one of their suits)?

#3 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-November-27, 17:50

View PostAL78, on 2021-November-27, 11:31, said:

At the time I thought partner should have raised to 3NT (we play 1NT as 6-9 HCP, so she is maximum) which I would very likely make by playing to the diamond jack and the club tenace (I didn't fancy taking the club finesse for an overtrick at the time).
I agree.

View PostAL78, on 2021-November-27, 11:31, said:

The result on the other table was ridiculous:

4 card majors on that table. 2NT went six off for -300. After the dreadful overcall South did well to pass, as whatever they try to scramble to, they are almost certainly going to get whacked. That was five imps out. It would have been a good sacrifice against 3NT had we bid and made it :lol: .
2NT was crazy, and East not doubling was very generous.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users