Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Worst trump fits

#1 User is offline   madhu1955 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2022-February-20, 09:48

Has anybody ever played in a worse trump fit in a game contract?

https://tinyurl.com/ycdnfvxo

#2 User is online   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2022-February-20, 11:41

Had exactly that fit in a Canadian National Team Championship match many years ago. It’s rare only because it’s rare to hold 8 cards in a suit and not have a face card.

Never had an 8 card fit missing AKQJ10 tho. But such plays the same.

Btw, I’ve seen opps play in 5C on a 0=0 fit, which wasn’t a success.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#3 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2022-February-20, 17:19

View Postmikeh, on 2022-February-20, 11:41, said:

Btw, I’ve seen opps play in 5C on a 0=0 fit, which wasn’t a success.

That just trumps a team mate of mine who had the 1-P-4 auction with a less experienced partner who he wasn't sure knew about splinters, so she played in a 1-0 fit.

Same team mate played in xx opposite xx in 2XX which I suppose is game, the opening leader with 8 to the AKQ couldn't believe his luck.

#4 User is offline   Douglas43 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Walking, boring my wife with bridge stories

Posted 2022-February-21, 01:13

View PostCyberyeti, on 2022-February-20, 17:19, said:

That just trumps a team mate of mine who had the 1-P-4 auction with a less experienced partner who he wasn't sure knew about splinters, so she played in a 1-0 fit.

Same team mate played in xx opposite xx in 2XX which I suppose is game, the opening leader with 8 to the AKQ couldn't believe his luck.

Once upon a time I opened 1 with Qx. 4 on my left, 6 from partner. We had an agreement that 5 would be pick a suit, so I decided that 6 must be exposing a psyche...

#5 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-February-26, 13:19

Yeah, very early in my bridge career, I played 5 with stiff A opposite stiff 2. -2, when 6 (what I was cuebidding for) was cold.

We all have those stories.

Not in game, but I had a successful result in 2 [1] with 852 opposite 93 - took two trumps (!) and two high cards for the same -400 as the rest of the room. Got another in Penticton (and got my article in the bulletin!) for 3-8 [2]with Qx opposite stiff, for another "average" -400.

[1] 1NT (12-14)-X-2 (scramble, "to play unless doubled") all pass. Doubling 2 would have let us escape to 2x-1 for -200.
[2] (2 mini-roman)-3 (intended as Michaels)-p "I have a club suit, but Qx should be good enough support". After the defence started with two rounds of diamonds, and then continued, I started chanting silently to myself "take 1 trick. Just 1 trick." And she did.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#6 User is online   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2022-February-26, 15:54

View Postmycroft, on 2022-February-26, 13:19, said:

Yeah, very early in my bridge career, I played 5 with stiff A opposite stiff 2. -2, when 6 (what I was cuebidding for) was cold.

We all have those stories.

Not in game, but I had a successful result in 2 [1] with 852 opposite 93 - took two trumps (!) and two high cards for the same -400 as the rest of the room. Got another in Penticton (and got my article in the bulletin!) for 3-8 [2]with Qx opposite stiff, for another "average" -400.

[1] 1NT (12-14)-X-2 (scramble, "to play unless doubled") all pass. Doubling 2 would have let us escape to 2x-1 for -200.
[2] (2 mini-roman)-3 (intended as Michaels)-p "I have a club suit, but Qx should be good enough support". After the defence started with two rounds of diamonds, and then continued, I started chanting silently to myself "take 1 trick. Just 1 trick." And she did.

Many years ago, in a regional open pairs, I picked up Qxxx xx Qxxxx xx in third seat at favourable. My partner opened 3S. My RHO bid an in tempo 4S, over to me.

Clearly I’m saving and there’s a good argument for bidding 6S now. But I decided to muddy the waters.

I bid 6H.

Pass on my left. Pass by partner who must have known something odd was going on.

RHO went into a huge tank. Finally she emerged with a pass!

The opening lead was the spade A to which all followed. Dummy was something like KJxxxxx x Jxx xx

Then, after some thought, LHO switched to a heart.

I folded my cards, returning them to the board, saying ‘down 12’.

My partner turned bright purple, stifling his laughter. He had to leave the table.

RHO handled it wonderfully. She looked at me and said, laughing…’you asshole!’

She had logic behind her. She thought I had a heart void and she had a stiff small spade. She reasoned that I’d run to 6S if doubled, and that she couldn’t make anything she bid, so she hoped 550 or so would beat 300 or 500 in 6S.

This was long before BridgeMates. About two rounds later, the TD came by because he thought the reported score had to have been an error.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#7 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-February-26, 16:29

Great story!

You're lucky that you didn't get caught by That One Director who penalized you for Failing To Play Bridge, because any decent play would have had it -11...(yes, I'm still surprised at that story).
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users