Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's the best line? A reasonable 6C

#1 User is offline   MP7601 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2022-September-12, 10:58

The defenders were representatives of Hong Kong at the most recent Bermuda Bowl finals.

After some thought, South leads 7, plan your play.

If you play small from dummy, North will follow 10.

If you play an early spade to the Ace and ruff a spade, south will follow with J on the 2nd round.

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-September-12, 12:25

If I play large from dummy at trick 1 does the 10 also appear ?

#3 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-September-12, 14:03

View PostCyberyeti, on 2022-September-12, 12:25, said:

Good hand to post, MP7601. I see Cyberyeti's idea of a dummy reversal if the right non-honors appear, though timing is everything here. South has not led the A if he has it, as he has worked out that declarer is the one with K so leading an ace against a slam will make it easy for declarer.

There is probably a way to combine all chances of either dummy reversal or setting up 5th or as a final play leading towards the K and guessing the location of the missing honors. Not quite sure what is the best line of play here myself at this stage, and will come back to this.

#4 User is online   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2022-September-12, 14:16

Low from dummy. I reserve the right to rethink should north show out. Otherwise:

If the ten appears, then I play spade to the ace, ruff a spade high, diamond to dummy, spade, ruffing high, club to dummy.

At this juncture, if spades were 4-3, pull any remaining trump and claim twelve tricks.

If clubs were 2-2 I can keep cross ruffing even if spades were 5-2…I take a heart pitch and concede a heart.

If the ten doesn’t appear….still the same basic idea. Spade to the Ace, ruff low. Diamond to the Queen, ruff spade high. Club to dummy.

If spades behave, pull trump and claim.

If clubs were 2-2, but spades don’t split, take a heart pitch on diamonds and exit a heart.

If clubs were 3-1 and spades 5-2, I think I need to get lucky or have a winning guess in hearts if there is one.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#5 User is offline   MP7601 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2022-September-12, 23:05

View PostCyberyeti, on 2022-September-12, 12:25, said:

That was unknown to me, as at the table I chose to play small from dummy, and then spade to Ace and ruff, noting the fall of
J from South. I now had to decide whether J was a falsecard, or did spades really break 5-2, if so then I would need to ruff the hearts in dummy after taking a pitch on a diamond.

I was also not sure whether North would have followed 10 on the first trick if he had held Tx.

Perhaps I should have chosen to cash the AK first, in preparation for a full crossruff.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users