BBO Discussion Forums: I have 14, partner opens 1nt 15-17 - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +

I have 14, partner opens 1nt 15-17

#21 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2023-March-15, 07:35

View Postmikeh, on 2023-March-14, 15:24, said:

Another in a never-ending series of posts advocating for keycard even though plausible responses leave one with NO clue as to what to do.

Hmmm….partner shows two keycards and the heart queen. Can I make slam? I have no f*@king idea. So why did I ask a question when the answer leaves me utterly helpless?

Partner might have Jxx Qxxx AJx AKQx Or AKQx Qxxx AJx xx

Hint: if a plausible answer to keycard leaves you with no idea whether to bid slam, don’t use keycard. It isn’t difficult but so many people continue to use keycard to show slam interest rather than to learn when to stay out of slam, which is one of the two proper reasons to use keycard (the other is to look for grand).

I agree with much of that, and only advocated RKCB because I was told that my preferred method here of Italian control bidding was inappropriate for N/B. I would teach an Italian beginner to go the Italian way anyway, but I can see that would be inappropriate in NZ where even the author of OP is still getting to grips with this style. But while I agree that RKCB is a very blunt tool in this situation, I don't think it's totally pointless: yes, the 2 keycard + Q reply is no use, but 3 keycards is not impossible after the 3 positive (assuming it was positive) and it should be reasonably safe to stop in 5 after any other response.
It's not an auction I like or would use myself, but it is what happens in every club in the world and I imagine they are taught that way too.

#22 User is offline   bluenikki 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2023-March-15, 09:40

Another in a never-ending series of posts advocating for keycard even though plausible responses leave one with NO clue as to what to do.

Hmmm….partner shows two keycards and the heart queen. Can I make slam? I have no f*@king idea. So why did I ask a question when the answer leaves me utterly helpless?

Hint: if a plausible answer to keycard leaves you with no idea whether to bid slam, don’t use keycard. It isn’t difficult but so many people continue to use keycard to show slam interest rather than to learn when to stay out of slam, which is one of the two proper reasons to use keycard (the other is to look for grand).

I don't believe I've ever seen it stated explicitly, but you should have planned in advance your action over every possible Blackwood reply. Huddling before Blackwood is not as damaging as after. By far.

#23 User is online   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2023-March-15, 12:38

Partner has signed off after showing a club control and hearing 4 from partner, he can't have the A. If he shows 2+Q he has minor Aces, isn't slam a good prospect now?
Just curious :)
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#24 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-March-17, 07:35

View Postjillybean, on 2023-March-15, 12:38, said:

Partner has signed off after showing a club control and hearing 4 from partner, he can't have the A. If he shows 2+Q he has minor Aces, isn't slam a good prospect now?
Just curious :)

Mikeh was talking about jumping to keycard after 3H. Once you hear a 4C control bid, it's a fine choice.

Just to make it clear - 3H should agree hearts and show some slam interest. The possible bids with no slam interest are 3N and 4H.

My preference is to play all new suits as control showing for diamonds, but other people have other opinions.

#25 User is online   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2023-March-17, 13:46

I completely bypassed the quote and only read Mike's reply. Sorry
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users