BBO Discussion Forums: Dealing with Michaels intervention - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dealing with Michaels intervention

#1 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2023-May-01, 08:24

Swiss pairs playing Acol weak NT:

KQ92
T
KQ96
A643

LHO passes, partner opens 1, RHO overcalls 2 (5-5 majors). You haven't discussed a defence to two suited overcalls. Your call?

#2 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2023-May-01, 09:08

Without agreements, I will have to start with a double
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#3 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-May-01, 09:21

Length of the club ? Vul ?

Your options (if you play what we play) are:
X - ability to penalise at least one of opps suits
2 good hand with clubs (2 would be a good hand with diamonds)

#4 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-May-01, 10:40

View PostCyberyeti, on 2023-May-01, 09:21, said:

Length of the club ? Vul ?

Your options (if you play what we play) are:
X - ability to penalise at least one of opps suits
2 good hand with clubs (2 would be a good hand with diamonds)

Game all. 1 shows at least four. That defence is one that came to mind as I know an analogous one to the unusual 2NT but didn't fancy cue bidding one of their suits in absence of discussion. I decided to double as I have defence to one of their suits. The auction continues:

Your call?

#5 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2023-May-01, 11:25

2, must be 4, must be forcing. If partner bids 3 I will bid 3, looking for a stopper.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#6 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2023-May-01, 12:10

View Postjillybean, on 2023-May-01, 11:25, said:

2, must be 4, must be forcing. If partner bids 3 I will bid 3, looking for a stopper.

Why would you bid spades naturally when opp has shown 5 of them ? It is normal for this to be artificial, just a question of what it means.

#7 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2023-May-01, 12:13

View PostAL78, on 2023-May-01, 10:40, said:

Game all. 1 shows at least four. That defence is one that came to mind as I know an analogous one to the unusual 2NT but didn't fancy cue bidding one of their suits in absence of discussion. I decided to double as I have defence to one of their suits. The auction continues:

Your call?

If 1 is 4+ and particularly if you open most 4M4m hands with the major, 3 splinter was also in the frame.

Partner could easily be 2425 and if they are, this could be a bloodbath on 2 rounds of clubs ruffed in the long hand, less so if partner has doubled on a good 3 card heart holding, you're on a guess.

#8 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-May-01, 14:52

View PostCyberyeti, on 2023-May-01, 12:13, said:

If 1 is 4+ and particularly if you open most 4M4m hands with the major, 3 splinter was also in the frame.

Partner could easily be 2425 and if they are, this could be a bloodbath on 2 rounds of clubs ruffed in the long hand, less so if partner has doubled on a good 3 card heart holding, you're on a guess.

You are very good at reading the situation. Partner was indeed 2425. I took her double as penalty so I passed, although I wondered if we could extract enough to compensate for the 3NT or 5 game we almost certainly had on.

The full deal:

We took +500 out of this although I think on perfect defence +800 is there (double dummy says eight tricks are available in hearts EW). This was worth less than the cold 3NT or 5 which a few pairs found and one lucky EW pair had the pleasure of +1100 for defending 4X. Everyone else was playing in a club partscore so that was 55% for us which after the start we had I was grateful for.

#9 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2023-May-01, 15:20

View PostAL78, on 2023-May-01, 14:52, said:

You are very good at reading the situation. Partner was indeed 2425. I took her double as penalty so I passed, although I wondered if we could extract enough to compensate for the 3NT or 5 game we almost certainly had on.

The full deal:

We took +500 out of this although I think on perfect defence +800 is there (double dummy says eight tricks are available in hearts EW). This was worth less than the cold 3NT or 5 which a few pairs found and one lucky EW pair had the pleasure of +1100 for defending 4X. Everyone else was playing in a club partscore so that was 55% for us which after the start we had I was grateful for.

Almost all roads lead to 800 as long as you get the club force going early, declarer makes only 4 trumps and the diamond ace.

#10 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-May-01, 15:50

View PostCyberyeti, on 2023-May-01, 15:20, said:

Almost all roads lead to 800 as long as you get the club force going early, declarer makes only 4 trumps and the diamond ace.

We didn't get it going immediately. Partner led the spade ace and continued with another one. I can't remember what happened after that.

#11 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2023-May-01, 19:06

View PostCyberyeti, on 2023-May-01, 12:10, said:

Why would you bid spades naturally when opp has shown 5 of them ? It is normal for this to be artificial, just a question of what it means.

Why would I bid spades naturally? I've seen enough "michaels" on 45 to know that we could have a spade fit, I would not have expected (2)X to be penalty, 2 is describing my hand, finding our place to play. 's, 's, nt?
(still learning)

#12 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2023-May-02, 06:32

View Postjillybean, on 2023-May-01, 19:06, said:

Why would I bid spades naturally? I've seen enough "michaels" on 45 to know that we could have a spade fit, I would not have expected (2)X to be penalty, 2 is describing my hand, finding our place to play. 's, 's, nt?

It's pretty normal for the first double to be "I can penalise one or both suits" I've played this for so long that x of 2 is just routinely penalties for me.

#13 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2023-May-02, 07:51

View PostCyberyeti, on 2023-May-02, 06:32, said:

It's pretty normal for the first double to be "I can penalise one or both suits" I've played this for so long that x of 2 is just routinely penalties for me.

Wait, OP said no agreements over interference.
(still learning)

#14 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2023-May-02, 10:31

View Postjillybean, on 2023-May-02, 07:51, said:

Wait, OP said no agreements over interference.

Double as suggesting penalty is "just bridge", not a special partnership agreement.

Unusual vs Unusual (I think called Invisible Cuebids on the other side of the pond) is a special agreement requiring discussion.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users