Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Table Money

#1 User is offline   prescot_td 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2023-May-04, 06:53

I would like to hear of the experiences of anyone whose Bridge Club collects Table Money on-line.

Our Treasurer collects coins off each member each time we play and then has to take that cash to the bank. There's got to be a better way; what has your Club tried and what works and what doesn’t work?

#2 User is offline   Gilithin 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2023-May-04, 07:21

If you do not want to handle table money, make playing free for members and raise the base membership costs by the equivalent amount. Not only does it work out the same financially but it encourages the members to play more. You still have to issue of table money for guests though, so depending on your club's make-up that may or may not be a useful change.

#3 User is offline   prescot_td 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2023-May-04, 08:04

View PostGilithin, on 2023-May-04, 07:21, said:

If you do not want to handle table money, make playing free for members and raise the base membership costs by the equivalent amount. Not only does it work out the same financially but it encourages the members to play more. You still have to issue of table money for guests though, so depending on your club's make-up that may or may not be a useful change.

Interesting - I'd vote for that but I suspect it's a bit too radical an idea for most

#4 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2023-May-04, 08:29

The Kiwi's are doing this of course, via the Compa$$ scoring system.

https://orewabridgeclub.net/

If you are interested in more information, I can connect you with a person there. From a player point of view, it is excellent.

INTRODUCTION

The Compass Scoring System has two different modules that enable clubs to go (almost) totally cashless. These are

Compa$$ (pronounced Compass dollars)
Hello Club
Compa$$ is an inbuilt Compass module whereas Hello Club is a separate third app

COMPA$$ SCOPE

Compa$$ can manage:

the table money process
the payment of a playing or non-playing director
the payment of prizes for session winners and/or competition (ie ladder) winners
the processing and payment recording of annual subscriptions
miscellaneous transactions
Each member has a theoretical Compa$$ account that records their debits (table money or subscription payments), credits (director fees or prize money) and account top-ups that occur by internet banking or by cash or cheque.

MEMBERS AND TABLE MONEY

The players at any club session are:

Club members who manage their own Compa$$ account. These members will periodically top-up their accounts to cover their expenses.
Club members who do not actively manage their Compa$$ account. These members will periodically forward cash or cheque to the treasurer who will update their Compa$$ account on their behalf.
Visitors to the club. These players continue to pay table money by cash. The treasurer will record these payments against the club's visitor’s account.
GENERALISED PROCEDURE FOR TABLE MONEY

After each session has been played, the table money debits are posted to Compa$$.

The players computer numbers are checked prior to posting. Missing or duplicate names must be corrected before the posting is permitted.
If the director is payable for the session, their ID is entered.
If prizes are awarded for the session, these will also be posted.
GENERALISED PROCEDURE ACCOUNT TOP UPS

Members top up their Compa$$ accounts by internet banking or by forwarding cash to the treasurer.
Compa$$ analyses the club’s bank account transaction and inserts the relevant items into the members Compa$$ account.

MISCELLANEOUS TRANSACTION

From time to time, miscellaneous transactions will occur e.g. voucher reimbursements, transferring of credit between members, refunding of credits for resigning members. These transactions can be entered into the Compa$$ accounts.

REPORTING

A comprehensive set of reports of each member's transactions are visible on the screen and can be exported to MS Excel. Individual reports can also be emailed to members as required. Additionally, summary reports are available for the club treasurer and other officials.

#5 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-May-04, 10:32

We are just coming to the end of our first cashless season.

At the start of the season we gave members the option of how much to pay in advance. At the end of the season the treasurer will reconcile how much everyone has played with how much they paid. At the end of the season we will be owed around £200 so we are quite happy with the situation.

We also considered using a card reader: there are a number available and some are used by local clubs. Our concern was the time taken to collect the money, especially as everyone would want to pay at the start, although you can do it at any time during the evening. These solutions are cheap but take some small percentage of your turnover.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#6 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2023-May-04, 11:14

At my local club we have the option of vouchers which are sold in books of 11 for £25 and works out cheaper than the £3 table money. A few people are given the responsibility of selling books of vouchers and they tally up at the end of every month and put the money into the safe. This reduces the burden of cash on the treasurer.

#7 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2023-May-04, 11:27

/me dreams in "going to the bank, in a different banking system and language, in a country known for pickpockets, to deposit a 3cm stack of cash into [not my] account".

Sorry, I have no suggestions.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#8 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2023-May-04, 14:39

We are almost cashless: some older players will insist on paying cash to have credit, plus some visitors, but otherwise it is all electronic.
We wrote the software ourselves and people can see their situation on our website.
Much better all round.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users