BBO Discussion Forums: Satisfying hand with inexperienced partner - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Satisfying hand with inexperienced partner

#1 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2023-May-05, 02:48

I play with a keen inexperienced partner once a month with the aim of helping her progress. I try to give her advice if there is anything obvious that I can pick up on where she could have done better. Earlier this year there was a hand where I led a high spot card to give her a ruff which was signalling for a spade return and she didn't pick up the signal, so I went through this type of signal with her afterwards.

A hand came up yesterday where I used this signal and she picked it up immediately which resulted in an excellent defence:

That was worth 5/8 MPs.

It is satisfying to teach someone a concept which they haven't come across before and they are able to understand and apply it a considerable time later.

#2 User is offline   Gilithin 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2023-May-05, 12:09

Just a small extra tip here. How you play your honours can also be a signal. Here you should play the ace first, then the king and jack to provide a stronger signal for hearts. This sort of subtle extra granularity is a little more relevant in the classic case, where you want to give partner an extra ruff and distinguishing between a fast entry and just a general preference is more critical, but it is good to get into the habit of doing these things, not least of which because it encourages your partner to look for them, which is often half the battle for teaching new players.

#3 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2023-May-05, 13:48

View PostGilithin, on 2023-May-05, 12:09, said:

Just a small extra tip here. How you play your honours can also be a signal. Here you should play the ace first, then the king and jack to provide a stronger signal for hearts. This sort of subtle extra granularity is a little more relevant in the classic case, where you want to give partner an extra ruff and distinguishing between a fast entry and just a general preference is more critical, but it is good to get into the habit of doing these things, not least of which because it encourages your partner to look for them, which is often half the battle for teaching new players.

Thanks for the tip, I've never heard of that signal.

#4 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-May-06, 13:12

View PostAL78, on 2023-May-05, 13:48, said:

Thanks for the tip, I've never heard of that signal.

I'm not sure it has to be that way round, but certainly one of A then K or K then A should indicate this.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users