Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ethical hand signals? From a Jake Winkman novel

#1 User is offline   blindsey 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2023-May-08, 16:29

In Don von Elsner's "Jake of Diamonds", Jake Winkman is playing in a team-of-four. Each partnership on his team consists of one expert who knows the field well, and one p;ayer who doesn't. In what Jake describes as a "perfectly ethical signal", each expert will signal to his or her partner whether their opponents and their teammates are experts, middling, or lesser players. The information is used to determine how aggressively they play, whether to push for slams, etc.

Is this really ethical? Or was it in the 1960s when the book was written?

#2 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2023-May-08, 22:52

It was ‘perfectly ethical’ back then to help out partner in various ways that, today, would get you at the very least suspended.

There’s definitely nothing wrong with expressing one’s views of the opps to partner verbally, presumably preferably not in their presence. Indeed, when we played in the BB in 2000, we had briefing notes on every other team but one, with opinions on tendencies, strengths and weaknesses.

I can’t imagine doing it at the table via hand signals, nor should there really be any reason for it. I suspect either the author made it up, for the book, of it was a reflection of that fortunately bygone era of what Kaplan described, in a famous article as that old black magic
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#3 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2023-May-08, 22:52

We always look at whom we are playing and discuss the tactics to use beforehand.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#4 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-May-08, 23:28

I am no expert on Laws but I believe that such a hand signal is a valid way of communication provided the auction has not begun. It is akin to a verbal discussion to adjust tactics --- (e.g.) if opps are already at the table, a hand signal is a permitted way to convey the tactical adjustment.

I am quite certain any such signal needs to occur before either player pulls out the cards from the board.

#5 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2023-May-09, 02:45

View Postshyams, on 2023-May-08, 23:28, said:

I am no expert on Laws but I believe that such a hand signal is a valid way of communication provided the auction has not begun. It is akin to a verbal discussion to adjust tactics --- (e.g.) if opps are already at the table, a hand signal is a permitted way to convey the tactical adjustment.

I am quite certain any such signal needs to occur before either player pulls out the cards from the board.

Another option would be to introduce the inexp. player to the opponents, and use coded words, like
they are "nice", ...
And if they are really good, they wont mind a compliment like "they are real sharks", most of the times
this will be banter.
You would do this before you pulled out the cards.
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#6 User is offline   TMorris 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2023-May-09, 12:01

Many years ago when I was an even worse player than I am now I played in a county event. One of the best county players, a well known EBU name, was playing with a partner who was not local. When they sat down at the table the good local player put a thumb down in the middle of the table. I have always assumed it was this sort of signal.

It seemed rude & funny at the same time. They were after all going to beat us whatever happened.

#7 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-May-09, 12:06

I don't think it really matters how they go about it, so long as it cannot offend reasonable opponents and it takes place before cards are drawn.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users