Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Slam number two Or is it?

#1 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2023-May-09, 02:23

MPs, one of the final boards of the session.

Partner's 1 is not-quite-full-Dutch-Doubleton, showing any 12-13 or 17-19 balanced without an outside 5-card suit, any 11-23 unbalanced hand with primary clubs or any 4144 or 4414 in that range. 2 clarifies that partner has got an unbalanced minimum with 5(+) clubs (only 5 if 45 and too weak to reverse). 3 is natural. Do you agree with the bidding thus far, and what is your plan from here?

Edit: I just noticed I mistakenly put both of these in the General Bridge Discussion forum, rather than the Interesting Bridge Hands forum. I'm sorry. Could a moderator move these to the proper spot for me?

#2 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-May-09, 02:39

I bid 3S, FSF, asking for a spade stopper.
If he has one, I pass 3NT, if he bypasses 3NT, I guess, he will always bid 4C,
I will set diamonds as trumps and take it from there.

With a spade shortage he will bid 4S, and I will give it a try, otherwise we play 5D.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#3 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2023-May-09, 13:53

Technically, 3S here is not FSF, afaik. We’ve already made an artificial gf so any non game bid is, by definition, forcing.

Nevertheless, given that this is mps, I agree with 3S as a noise. Clearly not a suit and not a cuebid because we haven’t agreed a suit, even implicitly. Therefore, on the adage that game before slam,3S is a probe for 3N.

No way am I looking for slam here unless partner does something surprising. If he bids 3N, I pass. If he bids 4C, I bid 4D and await developments. I can’t imagine any other call over 3S, given that all he knows of my hand is that I have 4+ hearts, maybe 5, and no good spade holding and want to be (at least) game.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#4 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-May-14, 05:13

3 is the best bid. With our agreements that would have asked for a spade stopper (similar but not quite identical to either 4SF or 'a noise'). At the table I didn't think of it, and instead decided that the double minor suit fit justified looking for 6 - in diamonds (the 4-4 fit tends to play better since it lets us pitch losers on the long clubs). Our auction continued:

The diamonds split 3-2 for an easy 12 tricks (in fact, they didn't cash the spade immediately and I pitched them on the long clubs after drawing trimps, but the king of hearts was offside) and a 100% board - most of the field being in 3NT-2 losing the first six spades, with some pairs being in 5= and two in 5+1.

The slower 3 bid would have lead to the same contract (partner bidding 4), but much more securely. Unfortunately poor bidding isn't always punished.

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2023-May-14, 12:55

We would start 1-1 and have no further issues.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users