BBO Discussion Forums: 2D as a game forcing stayman and transfer to majors - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2D as a game forcing stayman and transfer to majors

#1 User is offline   giorgis_di 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2024-June-25, 03:56

Recently, I learned about the 2 as a game forcing stayman to 1NT opening bid. My question is how one could combine 2 game forcing stayman with jacoby transfers.

For instance, let's say that your partner opens 1NT (15-17hcp) and you hold:

A) xx xxxxxxx xx Ax

B) AKxx AKxxxxx xx xx

How would you respond with these two hands?

#2 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2024-June-25, 04:08

Normally when people use 2 as a game force, they play a structure similar to the following:

• 2: Invitational. Bids like Stayman, but only contains exactly invitational or some garbage/scrambling hands.
  • 2: Any game force that is not sure about the strain or level yet. Includes all choice-of-games and slam hands.
  • 2M: Weak, to play.
  • 2NT: Invitational NF, denies a 4cM.
  • 3+: To play. Game bids can be strong or weak.
Your first example hand would bid 3 (or 2 if you are feeling conservative), your second hand would bid 2 to investigate slam, intending to follow up with 3 to show 5(+), and the 4 (if necessary) to show 6(+). Some people prefer to use 2 as a relay, and have opener show exact shape below 3NT.

Personally I think these methods are not very good, but they are very popular over Kamikaze NT in particular.

#3 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-June-25, 04:22

The followup responses to 2D reveal openers shape, using 2D as relay as daveKok mentioneds,
and you can arrange the responses that you have a xfer effect.

So in short, if you play 2D as gameforcing stayman, you dont play xfer.
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#4 User is offline   giorgis_di 

• PipPip

Posted 2024-June-25, 10:10

View PostDavidKok, on 2024-June-25, 04:08, said:

Normally when people use 2 as a game force, they play a structure similar to the following:

• 2: Invitational. Bids like Stayman, but only contains exactly invitational or some garbage/scrambling hands.
  • 2: Any game force that is not sure about the strain or level yet. Includes all choice-of-games and slam hands.
  • 2M: Weak, to play.
  • 2NT: Invitational NF, denies a 4cM.
  • 3+: To play. Game bids can be strong or weak.
Your first example hand would bid 3 (or 2 if you are feeling conservative), your second hand would bid 2 to investigate slam, intending to follow up with 3 to show 5(+), and the 4 (if necessary) to show 6(+). Some people prefer to use 2 as a relay, and have opener show exact shape below 3NT.

Personally I think these methods are not very good, but they are very popular over Kamikaze NT in particular.

Thanks for your detailed response. I though something similar, but I wondered if there is a way to combine transfers and 2D game forcing stayman. I also do not like this approach.

#5 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-June-25, 10:18

Note: this is one of the reasons why 2-way Stayman is more popular by weak NT players.

Your transfer auction of 1NT-2; 2-2NT or -3 becomes 1NT-2; 2-2 (invitational, or I would have bid 2 directly); your initial (non-2m/NT) responses are natural and often make you declarer; the "partner has a 4 (5) card major" information you get from the initial response, assuming competition, doesn't apply. All things that go against "protect the strong hand and make it declarer".

But an invitation opposite a weak NT is almost the same strength; a game-force is the same strength (or frequently (significantly) greater). So "protecting the strong hand" isn't as big a deal. And "putting the known hand (to within 1HCP (of say 13), general shape to within 1 card (of 4432)) on the table, hiding the more unknown hand" is a benefit as well, especially against players who actually count.

There are other benefits of "no transfers" as well, that again play better with a weaker NT range. 1NT-p-2 - you're fourth hand, and you know that if you pass, your next decision will be what to lead. And with 12ish, you could have game, if declarer is 4-5 high to go with the 5-6 hearts. 1NT-p-2 (hearts) - now you know you're going to get two chances to call. And so does your defence to transfer bidding.

Now, the other reason people play transfers (even with a weak NT) is that even a well designed 2-way system has fewer paths available to show hands; and the 2 "any invitational hand" and 2 "any game force that doesn't want to/can't set the contract" bids are more fragile in competition. So there's that.

Following snark is ACBL-specific.
Spoiler

When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#6 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2024-June-25, 14:41

View Postmycroft, on 2024-June-25, 10:18, said:

1NT-p-2 - you're fourth hand, and you know that if you pass, your next decision will be what to lead.

Your partner would never balance?

#7 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-June-25, 15:33

You know what I meant.

But seriously, how often do they balance when they didn't find an overcall? Not zero, but in my experience, not very high.

But also, sometimes the 2 is bid to play with a good 10 with 5 hearts, but flat and the hearts aren't strong. I've definitely had people balance when I had that hand. Amusement tended to ensue.

But that goes back to my comment that "when they open a weak NT, sometimes you will have a guess, and you can't always guess right." And my comment that "when you open a weak NT, sometimes you're booked for a bad score. Sometimes they don't guess right. Sometimes they do." s/weak NT/preempt/g and it still makes sense. Because the weak NT is at least partially a preempt. And those who play 2-way and no transfers - especially the style DavidKok above mentions (which wasn't my style, 3M was "inv-with-6") - are leaning harder into its preemptive nature.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#8 User is offline   giorgis_di 

• PipPip

Posted 2024-June-26, 01:31

View Postmycroft, on 2024-June-25, 10:18, said:

Note: this is one of the reasons why 2-way Stayman is more popular by weak NT players.

Your transfer auction of 1NT-2; 2-2NT or -3 becomes 1NT-2; 2-2 (invitational, or I would have bid 2 directly); your initial (non-2m/NT) responses are natural and often make you declarer; the "partner has a 4 (5) card major" information you get from the initial response, assuming competition, doesn't apply. All things that go against "protect the strong hand and make it declarer".

But an invitation opposite a weak NT is almost the same strength; a game-force is the same strength (or frequently (significantly) greater). So "protecting the strong hand" isn't as big a deal. And "putting the known hand (to within 1HCP (of say 13), general shape to within 1 card (of 4432)) on the table, hiding the more unknown hand" is a benefit as well, especially against players who actually count.

There are other benefits of "no transfers" as well, that again play better with a weaker NT range. 1NT-p-2 - you're fourth hand, and you know that if you pass, your next decision will be what to lead. And with 12ish, you could have game, if declarer is 4-5 high to go with the 5-6 hearts. 1NT-p-2 (hearts) - now you know you're going to get two chances to call. And so does your defence to transfer bidding.

Now, the other reason people play transfers (even with a weak NT) is that even a well designed 2-way system has fewer paths available to show hands; and the 2 "any invitational hand" and 2 "any game force that doesn't want to/can't set the contract" bids are more fragile in competition. So there's that.

Following snark is ACBL-specific.
Spoiler

For what I have seen, they dont use it like this... (again, I dont play this convention). Specifically, the sequence 1NT - 2; 2 - 2 shows a weak hand with at least 4-4 in majors. The opener chooses its best 3 card fit and it is sign-off. I don't know how they handle invitational hands. Probably by bidding 3 of a major or 2NT?

#9 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-June-26, 01:37

Several different versions exist, you can include Crawling/Garbage in 2, which means that you have to force to the 3-level when holding a five card major and an invitational hand.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users