BBO Discussion Forums: Where to get online lessons (for my wife) - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Where to get online lessons (for my wife)

#1 User is offline   tgphelps 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2024-June-30, 17:52

I am "an old guy", getting back into the game after being away for 20 years. Last fall, my wife agreed to (try to) learn the game and be my regular partner at the local club. I started teaching her the game from ground zero. She's smart, but had never played card games much at all. I have taught her the basics of the game, enough that we can go play in the 0-500 MP game and not finish last most of the time.

When I teach her things, and when I "make her" watch a Youtube video on some aspect of the game, she is attentive and learns what is being taught. But I cannot get her to READ BOOKS! She just doesn't have the curiosity and desire to learn on her own. What can I do to get her to learn the game without having to spoon-feed her?

My latest thought is: Are there some online bridge video lessons available from some (paid?) website? If there were a series of videos that cover all/many of the fundamentals of the game, I could get her to watch them with me. I'm willing to pay a bit, but not a lot, for such video lessons. Some of you on the forum must have signed up for something like this.

#2 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted Yesterday, 10:54

Depends strongly on what you mean by "get better". At this level, basically anything can help.

If you want her to play better, maybe Level 1 Bridge Master (available on BBO) hands are for her?

If you want to learn a system so that you are on the same page more often, then do that.

If you hand her Kelsey, or even Watson, she'll bounce off them so hard it'll leave a bruise. I still like "5 Weeks", especially for the "that's enough for today" pacing, but it's 1960s bidding which will require unlearning (twice) to actually use the lessons.

There are lots of sites on newer player issues, taught very well and "bite-size". But it may be that Larry Cohen or Robert Todd is still "over her head".

Every NABC, there's a page in every bulletin for newer players, which includes a column aimed at them. Pull up a few of those and see if she likes the "two minute exercise"? (If so, there are collections of newspaper bridge columns out there, I have one of Frank Stewart's called "Two minute bridge tips". Of course, there are still (some) newspaper columns still as well).

Youtube search for "bridge lessons for newer players" brings up a lot of good things (once you get past the "true beginners" lessons). Peter Hollands has what looks like a great collection at all levels of play.

Of course, you will have to lead. Find out what she finds interesting, or "oh wow" for her - note, not for you! You don't matter here! (Unless "you like it" is her interesting or "oh wow", in which case, you're stuck with (carefully) spoon-feeding; she'll only do it because it's what will make you happy). When you find it, look for things that hit that "oh wow" button, and get her invested. The "oh wow" parts, should she stick with the game, will expand as she sees more of the joy and subtlety.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#3 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted Yesterday, 17:28

The ACBL is advertising beginner bridge lessons on their site ACBL.org. The direct link is

https://acbl.org/por...ntro-to-bridge/

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Google