BBO Discussion Forums: Slam, what slam? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Slam, what slam?

#1 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2024-September-26, 21:52

Match points. Considered just bidding 6

Any scientific methods of finding the right slam and which one? - although (hint) any slam is good

#2 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-September-26, 23:48

Hi,

you are allowed to play p for one useful card, as far as I see it,
you need 2 cards to make it, and KQ in diamonds may not even help you
at all, which may not be obvious for p.

I would start with a T/O and follow up with 5H, this should get the
message across.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#3 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-September-27, 00:26

Thx, I went with a cue bid and sadly was passed at the 5 level of something - I even missed the club slam - sadly the club response to the cue bid did not suggest enough for slam - the only people who made the heart slam bid it immediately - the only person who made the club slam bid hearts after the cue and was then corrected to 6 clubs. All missed the 3 grands on offer

But a simple heart overcall didn't cut it either (sadly nor did being left in 5) - will post the hand in a bit for anyone interested - maybe other comments will appear first :)

Is there nothing like pick a slam or anything. 5NT etc I was impressed with my favorite goto software which by itself found 7 clubs - but East did not up the ante

#4 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2024-September-27, 00:37

thepossum, on 2024-September-27, 00:26, said:

Thx, I went with a cue bid and sadly was passed at the 5 level of something - I even missed the club slam - sadly the club response to the cue bid did not suggest enough for slam - the only people who made the heart slam bid it immediately - the only person who made the club slam bid hearts after the cue and was then corrected to 6 clubs. All missed the 3 grands on offer

But a simple heart overcall didn't cut it either

The meaning of the Cue is ..., I would assume, that most would treat it as 2-suited, but it is not clear,
if this is so, and if yes, what kind of 2-suited hand.
Depending on system (not B/I) stuff, you have various ways to show 2-suited hands, and ...

The auction after a T/O will still be messy, i.e. blasting is not the worst idea.
It is a matter of how agressive you are, how sad you will feel, if you miss the slam compared, how sad you
will, if you go minus. I prefer to go plus, maybe too much, i.e. I will not the slam, if I have a chance to ask p
for help, ..., sometimes he cant help me in a sensible way, I may still try to ask for help.
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#5 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-September-27, 00:45

P_Marlowe, on 2024-September-27, 00:37, said:

The meaning of the Cue is ..., I would assume, that most would treat it as 2-suited, but it is not clear,
if this is so, and if yes, what kind of 2-suited hand.
Depending on system (not B/I) stuff, you have various ways to show 2-suited hands, and ...

The auction after a T/O will still be messy, i.e. blasting is not the worst idea.
It is a matter of how agressive you are, how sad you will feel, if you miss the slam compared, how sad you
will, if you go minus. I prefer to go plus, maybe too much, i.e. I will not the slam, if I have a chance to ask p
for help, ..., sometimes he cant help me in a sensible way, I may still try to ask for help.

I had no idea but figured 4 spades was very forcing - was sad - I got 5 clubs then advanced to 5 hearts and ... :(

Those who doubled, received clubs then corrected to hearts raised to club slam - something at least - it was just disappointing being in 5+2 with most of the field in 4+3

#6 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2024-September-27, 00:45

A final though: If the holding of p minor suits would be reversed, would slam still make?
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#7 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-September-27, 01:34

This is definitely in the wrong forum. This is a difficult problem, and scientific gadgets after a preempt are a challenging topic. That being said I'll bite and share what I play here, in the spoiler below. It's long.

Spoiler

#8 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-September-27, 06:38

DavidKok, on 2024-September-27, 01:34, said:

This is definitely in the wrong forum. This is a difficult problem, and scientific gadgets after a preempt are a challenging topic. That being said I'll bite and share what I play here, in the spoiler below. It's long.

Sorry I post in the forum people think I belong :)

On another subject. Maybe a rule change should 5+2 not score higher than 4+3 :) seems unfair

The beginner approach should be to assess and blast 6 hearts :)

Spoiler

#9 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-September-28, 16:08

Strange
I went to get the hand but that tourney's hands are missing. Only yesterday too

From memory my partner had 3 spades, 1 heart, 4 diamonds and 5 clubs with around 8 points. Enough for 3 grand slams anyway �� not that you would bid them of course but 6 clubs and hearts were definitely there to bid

I think west had 7 points and east 4. East's bid was rather questionable but very preemptive

Everyone in the field managed 13 tricks without too advanced play:)

Unless I can find the hand I can't recollect much more detail or anyone able to critique what I say :( it seems to be one tourney type records missing

Rather pessimistic update. While I have been assured the missing hands are being moved to a new system I fear the worst

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users