• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Alcoholic

#1 User is offline   Jlall 

• Follower of 655321
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:drinking, women, bridge...what else?

Posted 2009-June-22, 02:26

So, I enjoy drinking every night. Does this make me an aloholic?

#2 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2009-June-22, 04:13

it depends on whether or not you can (easily) refrain from drinking
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#3 User is offline   slothy 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2009-June-22, 05:12

wow Justin...

You have been quite confessional recently :)

I drink maybe 3 nights a week, sometimes more, 1 or 2 cans of beer (three on a bad night) if playing or JECCing on BBO, watching TV or reading.

If however i don't drink (sometimes don't drink for 2 weeks maybe) i don't miss it and certainly don't crave it.

Different story when it comes to cigarettes alas :) I have walked 2 kms to a gas station in the pouring rain (AND i mean POURING) at 2am in the morning to get a packet of cigarettes and come home with a sodden packet of wet tobacco (not going to confess what i did after that :) tooooo embarrassing).

So, yes, i have a problem with addiction to nicotine Hi my name is Alex and i am a nicotine addict and i recognise it and i am trying to stop with help (not very successfully to date)

If maybe you have done the same, or think maybe you would if the scenario arose, to get alcohol then maybe you should seek help.

Howeve,r i doubt very you are :) You seem the sort of guy who enjoys a drink (socially and recreationally as it were). Nothing wrong in that whatsoever . I think a good litmus test is if you drink, or continue to drink, and you don't enjoy it or drink so much that you are not in control (too often) i.e. there is something other than satisfaction which is propelling the 'habit'. This is the time to look in the mirror.

Alex

Cheers Justin (virtual clink of glasses in a haze of smoke)
gaudium est miseris socios habuisse penarum - Misery loves company.

#4 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2009-June-22, 06:42

Hey Justin

Here's my perspective, along with some background information:

1. My dad has a rather bad tendency to to down a fairly significant quantity of booze many / most nights.

2. In my high school and college days, I had a tendency to engage in pretty serious binge drinking.

3. On occasion, I have worried that I might develop some bad habits

Here's the what I settled on:

I never drink any significant quantity of booze if I'm alone. I think that drinking if your sitting along is a big warning sign.

I normally limit myself to a single beer if with lunch or dinner if I'm by myself and I typically don't get anything. I might have a couple if I'm someplace "special" like a japanese restaurant thats known for its sake or a brew pub. (I also make exceptions for red wine. Red wine is chock fulll of antioxidants. I'll often have a single small glass of red wine with dinner. I SO wish that I didn't dislike red wine so much)
Alderaan delenda est

#5 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2009-June-22, 08:02

When alcohol affects your judgment to the point where you ask questions like this in the water cooler, then, yeah, it's most definitely a problem. :)

Nobody loved drinking more every night than my grandfather. I don't think anybody who knew him would put alcoholic on the top ten list of adjectives that described him best. But it was definitely a problem in his otherwise amazing, productive, successful, long, full, life.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#6 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2009-June-22, 08:12

Jimmy is right.

But whether you are an alcoholic or not, I really think you should stop drinking. The posts you make here when you are drunk are amusing to Josh and maybe to others, but you could end up doing things you would really regret. Alcohol is scary stuff.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#7 User is offline   jkljkl 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2009-June-22, 08:19

Jlall, on Jun 22 2009, 03:26 AM, said:

I guess you are just experiencing one of your regular lows. But even then I am sure that you know better than anyone of us if your alchol consume is getting problematic.

In the past I would have suggest to listen to

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=GMn9iu5FKCM

(german song)

now I can only hope you are still taking your meds and find a better way if you need some contact/help,

ciao stefan

#8 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2009-June-22, 10:57

removed
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#9 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2009-June-22, 11:15

Alcohol is a depressant. If you drink when you're depressed, you just get more depressed. I'm speaking from experience here, btw.

I once had a shrink ask me if I drank. At the time, I was a 2 or 3 nights a week, 3 or 4 drinks, drinker. He told me to stop. I asked him why. He said "I can't tell if you're an alcoholic or not; the evidence I see is unclear. If you can stop drinking, you're probably not." This from a guy who had in a previous assignment run an alcohol rehab center for ten years. So I stopped. Funny thing. A few weeks after I stopped, I was driving down the freeway, and all of a sudden, the world seemed a brighter place, and I felt a lot better. Was there a connection? Damned if I know. But it did happen. Nowadays, I drink maybe once or twice a year, always with a meal. And then no more than a couple of glasses of wine, or a couple of beers. Turns out I'm not an alcoholic, but I am very susceptible to depression. See my first paragraph. :unsure:
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#10 User is offline   Jlall 

• Follower of 655321
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-June-22, 11:48

lol I love reading these in the morning.

Related question:

I have always considered myself someone who doesn't drink and drive. But driving to work this morning it occurred to me that my blood alcohol level was probably above the legal limit still. Can I get a DUI this way? Is it dangerous?

#11 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2009-June-22, 11:52

Jlall, on Jun 22 2009, 12:48 PM, said:

Related question:

I have always considered myself someone who doesn't drink and drive. But driving to work this morning it occurred to me that my blood alcohol level was probably above the legal limit still. Can I get a DUI this way? Is it dangerous?

Driving buzzed is driving drunk although I would bet Texas is behind the curve.

Here's a good test to see if you have a drinking problem.

Give it up for a month.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#12 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2009-June-22, 12:07

Can I get a DUI this way? Is it dangerous?

Yes. And yes.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#13 User is offline   Jlall 

• Follower of 655321
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-June-22, 12:10

blackshoe, on Jun 22 2009, 01:07 PM, said:

Yes. And yes.

How long does it take before it's out of my system? Like I assume if I sleep 8 hours I'm fine. What about 4 hours? How do I know (because it feels different from being normal drunk)?

#14 User is offline   Gerben42 

• Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2009-June-22, 12:16

About 8 hours per 1 0/00 alcohol. That means if you're really drunk, you still cant drive after 5-6 hours, and REALLY REALLY should NOT!
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#15 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-June-22, 13:03

Jlall, on Jun 22 2009, 01:10 PM, said:

blackshoe, on Jun 22 2009, 01:07 PM, said:

Yes. And yes.

How long does it take before it's out of my system? Like I assume if I sleep 8 hours I'm fine. What about 4 hours? How do I know (because it feels different from being normal drunk)?

I think it is about one hour per drink. But, there must be someplace on the internet where you can get a more reliable answer than BBO forums.

It strikes me that whether you are an alcoholic or not, the behavior described in this thread indicates in an unhealthy relationship with alcohol. It can't possibly be good for someone to be so drunk when they go to sleep that they're not sure whether they're drunk the next morning. And, driving this way is just plain stupid, not so much because of what you might do to yourself, but because of what you might do to someone else.

#16 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-June-22, 14:05

There's no easy way to calculate it precisely, having looked at some stuff online the approximation I've arrived at is

for a 180 lb male, 5 units of alcohol takes them over the US/UK limit

It takes one hour for your body to process one *unit* of alcohol - NOT the commonly quoted one drink.

I'd guess a typical US beer is 2 units - that's 20ml (0.7 fl oz) of alcohol - guessing you know this better than I do though.

A 160lb male would need an extra hour or so, depending on how much was drunk - 4.5 units would be sufficient to reach the limit initially in this case.

All calculations can be done from the time you start drinking, assuming you don't make the first drink last two hours or something.

#17 User is offline   skjaeran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, sports, Sci-fi, fantasy

Posted 2009-June-22, 14:14

Drinking every night does not in itself make you an alcoholic.

But that might lead to becoming an alcoholic some time in the future. Whether that will happen or not, and how long it takes is a function of how much you drink and your genes.

My father is an alcoholic. I never thought he'd stop drinking. But now he's been sober for 20 years, after going to a clinic 21 years ago, and staying there for a year. I (and my sister) spent a week there early on, as part of the program. When I left, I understood that statistically, having an alcoholic father, the chance I'd become one myself was 25-30%. So I decided to stop drinking, and I've never taken that habit up again.

Jimmy is perfectly right, as long as you've got no trouble stopping, you're not an alcoholic.
Kind regards,
Harald

#18 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2009-June-22, 16:39

Alcoholics Anonymous has this saying about real alcoholics: one drink is too many; a thousand isn't enough.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#19 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2009-June-22, 17:44

Jlall, on Jun 22 2009, 10:48 AM, said:

It seems like this is just a joke and not something to be taken seriously or get worried about?
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#20 User is offline   Apollo81 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-June-22, 18:33

Phil, on Jun 22 2009, 01:52 PM, said:

Related question:

Driving buzzed is driving drunk although I would bet Texas is behind the curve.

Here's a good test to see if you have a drinking problem.

Give it up for a month.

A not quite as extreme test would be see if you can go a month without having more than one per day. Most people who weigh more than 110lbs don't function differently on one than on zero.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users