• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

IFG Hand #1

#1 User is offline   rduran1216 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-February-06, 23:48

MPs

I caught alot of flack for doubling this contract because I dbld C players. I maintained that apart from Itabashi, I'd dbl with this hand against anyone. Was I out of line?
Aaron Jones Unit 557

www.longbeachbridge.com

#2 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

• Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2011-February-07, 00:20

I definitely wouldn't, but this looks like a pretty joker auction and at MPs I guess I maybe could find an excuse to consider it. Against anyone competent* I think doubling is very bad, against C players I think it's bad but not horrid.

*Edited, I failed my spelling bee. Or maybe I'm just tired.

This post has been edited by mtvesuvius: 2011-February-07, 00:53

Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!

#3 User is offline   dboxley 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-07, 00:24

View Postmtvesuvius, on 2011-February-07, 00:20, said:

I definitely wouldn't, but this looks like a pretty joker auction and at MPs I guess I maybe could find an excuse to consider it. Against anyone contempt I think doubling is very bad, against C players I think it's bad but not horrid.

I probably wouldn't dbl competent players but would certainly dbl contempt players, even at the nationals level.

#4 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-07, 00:49

The problem with weaker players is that you don't know just what their weakness is. Perhaps this pair are chronic underbidders. Plus, the percentage line in trumps may be one that picks up your jack, but they might not know it -- until you double.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#5 User is offline   andy_h 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Universe, Traveling, Squash, and Scandinavia.

Posted 2011-February-07, 02:15

I would have doubled 1C fwiw
- Andy -

We are all connected to each other biologically, to the Earth chemically, and to the rest of the universe atomically.
We're in the universe, and the universe is in us.

#6 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-February-07, 02:55

View Postrduran1216, on 2011-February-06, 23:48, said:

I caught alot of flack for doubling this contract because I dbld C players.

Let me get this straight: according to some people you shouldn't have doubled because your opps are poor players? Are you allowed to make a killing lead against poor players? Or play DONT just to mess up their agreements? This is ridiculous. The only way for them to get better is by getting punished severely when they make mistakes. You're a hero to help them improve!
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#7 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2011-February-07, 03:50

View PostFree, on 2011-February-07, 02:55, said:

Let me get this straight: according to some people you shouldn't have doubled because your opps are poor players? Are you allowed to make a killing lead against poor players? Or play DONT just to mess up their agreements? This is ridiculous. The only way for them to get better is by getting punished severely when they make mistakes. You're a hero to help them improve!

No, this can't be what he meant. I think the point was that the weak players' bidding was not to be trusted, so doubling on the sound of the auction was not a good strategy. And may be a big loser when they now find the trump jack.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#8 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel

Posted 2011-February-07, 03:58

View PostVampyr, on 2011-February-07, 03:50, said:

No, this can't be what he meant. I think the point was that the weak players' bidding was not to be trusted, so doubling on the sound of the auction was not a good strategy. And may be a big loser when they now find the trump jack.

For the record, imo Dbl on 4 is very poor. :)
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#9 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-07, 03:55

The main case where double gains is when the field is in game down one, and your opponents are down one doubled. That's quite a narrow target. If the field is not in game you don't need to double. If your opponents play a trick worse than the field you don't need to double either. The losing cases are any time game is cold, or when your double helps them. Surely that is more likely.

#10 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2011-February-07, 04:24

MPs
I caught alot of flack for doubling this contract because I dbld C players. I maintained that apart from Itabashi, I'd dbl with this hand against anyone. Was I out of line?

View PostFree, on 2011-February-07, 03:58, said:

For the record, imo Dbl on 4 is very poor. :)
IMO _P = 10, _X = 9. The downside of double is that it may allow declarer to make a contract that would normally fail and a club lead may not be best. The upside of double is that opponents appear to be stretching.

#11 User is offline   rduran1216 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-07, 10:35

My reason for doubling was that i couldnt imagine them making 10 tricks. Every time I got in I led a trump, I eventually got 2 clubs, 2 hearts and my partner's Q of diamonds.

Assuming their bids are solid, which IMO they were, I'm imagining semi flat hands on both sides. If anyone has 4 hearts it is my RHO which is good news for my A10xx. Partner is marked with about a Q or K, and with this dbl screaming for a club thru RHO suit i just envisioned 4441 trumps around the table and an impossible path to 10 tricks. Is this too much speculation?
Aaron Jones Unit 557

www.longbeachbridge.com

#12 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2011-February-07, 10:46

View Postrduran1216, on 2011-February-07, 10:35, said:

My reason for doubling was that i couldnt imagine them making 10 tricks. Every time I got in I led a trump, I eventually got 2 clubs, 2 hearts and my partner's Q of diamonds.

Assuming their bids are solid, which IMO they were, I'm imagining semi flat hands on both sides. If anyone has 4 hearts it is my RHO which is good news for my A10xx. Partner is marked with about a Q or K, and with this dbl screaming for a club thru RHO suit i just envisioned 4441 trumps around the table and an impossible path to 10 tricks. Is this too much speculation?

Well, nothing succeeds like success. Why were you hassled?

#13 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-February-07, 11:35

I maintained that apart from Itabashi, I'd dbl with this hand against anyone.

There is no code, written, or otherwise, that you shouldn't double weak players. Please lose this baggage, and kindly tell people that suggest you should not double to STFU. Direct them my way if you want.

OK, don't double your girlfriend, wife or mother if they are weak, but thats a different issue. Or the girl you are trying to bag. :P

The players would have to be pretty bad for me to double with this. I can't be at all confident I am beating it. How many matchpoints are you getting for them getting to a no-play game (answer - a lot). How many matchpoints are you getting for -420? (some) 590? zero
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#14 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel

Posted 2011-February-08, 04:08

View PostPhil, on 2011-February-07, 11:35, said:

OK, don't double your girlfriend, wife or mother if they are weak, but thats a different issue. Or the girl you are trying to bag. :P

I disagree except with the last part. If you always Double with this hand, you'll let them make more than you'll defeat them (I think). So if you want to be the nice boyfriend/husband/son you just double and give some points away.

However, if you Double the girl you're trying to bag and she makes her contract, you'll be considered a loser and you've blown all your chances... :lol:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

7 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users