BBO Discussion Forums: GIB can't count (or bid, I don't know which) - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

GIB can't count (or bid, I don't know which)

#1 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-March-30, 20:59

Bridge Bingo - http://tinyurl.com/4lqobfn

I needed 3NT to Bingo so I bid it. I think that my 3NT bid in this case should show 13-16 HCP, at least 1 stop in , 2-3, 2-3, 1-3. However, that isn't the issue. The issue is GIB then bidding 4NT, showing 15-16 HCP (it only had 12). Since a 7-level contract would have given me 4 in a diagonal (and I sadly believed the bidding), I bid 7 thinking there could be some play.
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#2 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-March-30, 21:12

What 3NT should show is irrelevant in nearly all cases when it comes to what the GiB bids. In it's system you showed 15-20HCP, and so while it's a mild overbid, it's not completely crazy.
Wayne Somerville

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-April-03, 02:23

I think GIB doesn't understand that you don't count points for shortness in NT auctions.

#4 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-April-03, 10:08

View Postbarmar, on 2011-April-03, 02:23, said:

I think GIB doesn't understand that you don't count points for shortness in NT auctions.
I hope you don't mean that x, AT9x, AJx, KT9xx isn't better than xxx, AT9x, AJx, KT9. I think this is more a problem with the description of the 4NT bid than with the choice to make it. If I held the North hand and my partner showed 15-20 balanced HCP, I'd want to invite slam in some way.

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-April-05, 15:35

View PostBbradley62, on 2011-April-03, 10:08, said:

I hope you don't mean that x, AT9x, AJx, KT9xx isn't better than xxx, AT9x, AJx, KT9. I think this is more a problem with the description of the 4NT bid than with the choice to make it. If I held the North hand and my partner showed 15-20 balanced HCP, I'd want to invite slam in some way.

With that second hand, GIB wouldn't have overcalled 2 in the first place.

Exploring for slam is not unreasonable, but not in NT when it has a distributional hand. GIB is usually really scared of playing in NT when it has a singleton, it's really surprising that it was OK with it this time. I'd have expected it to bid 4.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users