• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gib's sampling technique Just Curious.

#1 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-April-05, 09:04

Obviously, Gib will make fewer errors if it samples more hands, but I have on and off been watching these crazy plays, and it occurs to me that none of them represent truly no play options from Gib. Clearly in some way it does not have enough hands to sample, so I was wondering how many hands it will typically sample?

The BBO dealer seems to produce some number of hands, and then apply the constraints which eliminates some huge fraction of the total hands dealt. Presumably GIB does something similar, and then DD solves all the hands that remain to determine the best play. So my question is, how many hands will GIB initially sample, and is it along the lines of "Collect the first x hands that satisfy the bidding constraints" or "deal x hands and then solve however many satisfy the bidding constraints", because if it is the latter, it might occasionally be the case that GIB is effectively sampling from only a few hands, particularly in complicated auctions.

Even better at imps might be "collect the first x hands that satisfy the bidding constraints where the contract can be defeated".
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#2 User is offline   hotShot 

• Axxx Axx Axx Axx
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-05, 09:46

I think that GIB uses a time constrain.
So the less cards are left, the bigger the sample size.

#3 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-05, 10:25

View Postphil_20686, on 2011-April-05, 09:04, said:

... I have on and off been watching these crazy plays, and it occurs to me that none of them represent truly no play options from Gib.

It appears to me that some of the plays (such as discarding an ace) have been plays that could not possibly be right.

#4 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-05, 13:27

View PostBbradley62, on 2011-April-05, 10:25, said:

It appears to me that some of the plays (such as discarding an ace) have been plays that could not possibly be right.

I think you misunderstand me. It is not to difficult to construct layouts where nothing west does matters on this deal, and he collects KC but nothing else. Suppose that all the hand GIB samples its defence makes no difference, then it will discard randomly.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users