BBO Discussion Forums: Disappointing KO hand from Louisville - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Disappointing KO hand from Louisville

#1 User is offline   jh51 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-March-23, 13:05

I held the North hand in a KO event in Louisville (spot cards in both hands are approximate). The bidding went as above (no excusing the opposition). When the play ended my partner had taken 7 tricks. I really expected to pick up IMPs on this hand.

Alas, at the other table, our teammates found themselves in 3NT. North did not open my hand - not everyone is as daring (reckless?) as I, so East opened 1NT. South overcalled 2, alerted as showing diamonds and a minor. Somehow both east and west got the idea that partner had a diamond stopper. Alas, 5 diamonds were cashed for down 1 - a push.

#2 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-March-23, 13:14

I have a notebook that I like to write hands when my partners and teammates do dumb things. I did it here a long time ago, but got properly chastised for it.

Back to the hand, I would not have opened your hand. What is the point? It consumes no room, gets you into a difficult position if your hand bids 1, and its not clear I want a club lead. It offers gratuitous information to the opponents if they end up playing the hand.

Your opponents were pretty hopeless if they can't find 4 here, but they might have both had borderline decisions. I don't think your action contributed much to the result.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#3 User is offline   jh51 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-March-23, 13:25

Normally, I would not have opened my hand either, but I felt that this was a pair that would think I actually had my bid. I had come to expect odd results from our teammates. One another occassion, their bidding went 1NT-3NT - reasonable with responder having 4-3-3-3 distribution and game going values. The problem was that both of his red suits were hearts!

As far as doing dumb things, I would find it of more value to keep a notebook of dumb things that I do myself. On the final Saturday in Louisville, I had plenty of those in the Gold Rush Pairs, yet managed to finish 4th (1st in the lower strat that we were also part of). Dumb things can happen when it is your 8th day in a row playing bridge.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users