Opps vul

1N - dbl* - 2 - pass;
2 - 2 - 2** - pass;
Pass - 3 - dbl - pass;
?

* - DONT
** - weak invite with 5 spades
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#2 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-March-31, 10:15

1. Delay unusual 2NT.
2. We have an agreement (meta, shmeta) When pard has opened 1NT, a double behind the opponent who has bid his same suit twice without support from his partner, or a double of any 3-level bid, is a strong desire to defend the contract doubled. We don't play transfers over a "Don't" double? If we do, then partner has 4 Hearts by definition to begin with.

In EBU, of course, they believe penalty doubles are highly unusual at any level, and we had better alert our audacity in trying to exact a penalty. You are in ACBL for now, so it's cool.

This post has been edited by aguahombre: 2011-March-31, 10:21

"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#3 User is offline   kayin801 

• Modern Day Trebuchet Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-March-31, 10:59

1. I want to stand up, switch seats with my partner, and then wait for it to get passed to me so I can reopen with a X so partner can pass.

I think partner has a spade stack and LHO has a heart stack, but we suffer in the position. I expect X to be passed out, but if partner bids 3 I'll pull to 3. I'm still not convinced I want to X though so can someone convince me one way or the other?

2. Auto pass, I have Qx in their suit, good defensive values in the other suits, and partner made a penalty X, AND they're red?
I once yelled at my partner for discarding the 'wrong' card when he was subjected to a squeeze that I allowed by giving the wrong count with too high a card. Now he's allowed to pitch aces when the opponents have the king in the dummy. At trick 2. When he could have followed suit. And blame me.

East4Evil sohcahtoa 4ever!!!!!1

#4 User is offline   quiddity 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-31, 12:50

1. X based on the bullets and the SQ. I'm not sure what to do if partner responds 3 - this should almost always show 5+ cards so I suppose I would pass.

2. Pass. I hope partner is 5431.

#5 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-31, 13:06

1. X. If partner passes he will not be surprised or disappointed by my hand.
2. I think this is obvious if we know what the double is. If I don't know I bid 3 but I play all of these kind of doubles for takeout and would have told partner that in any minimal system discussion.

#6 User is offline   quiddity 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-31, 13:28

View Postnigel_k, on 2011-March-31, 13:06, said:

2. I think this is obvious if we know what the double is. If I don't know I bid 3 but I play all of these kind of doubles for takeout and would have told partner that in any minimal system discussion.

Point taken, but I don't understand a takeout double here combined with the "weak 5-spade invite". What would this show, a 51(34) 8-count? Why would you want to make a takeout double of 3 with that?

#7 User is offline   Echognome 

• Deipnosophist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-01, 01:07

1. I would bid 3 showing a 6-4 in my book (5-5 or better and willing to bid to the 3-level would have started with 2 spades).
2. I would bid 3. I can understand passing 2, but I have suppressed KQx in support and my defense is not that great. I interpret partner's double as a DSIP double.
"Half the people you know are below average." - Steven Wright

#8 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-April-01, 17:27

View PostEchognome, on 2011-April-01, 01:07, said:

1. I would bid 3 showing a 6-4 in my book (5-5 or better and willing to bid to the 3-level would have started with 2 spades).
2. I would bid 3. I can understand passing 2, but I have suppressed KQx in support and my defense is not that great. I interpret partner's double as a DSIP double.

This matched my actions.

On #1, LHO held KJxx so I walked into 500. Partner didn't correct with T8x, but 3 really isn't any better.

On #2, the table talk said 'pass is right', but partner made a lightning quick double. It was the last board of a 6 board match and we were already up by about 30 by my estimation. The combination of the UI and the SOTM made me pull. 3 is 800 but partner doesn't have to have J9xx.
Hi y'all!

#9 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2011-April-02, 02:48

View Postaguahombre, on 2011-March-31, 10:15, said:

In EBU, of course, they believe penalty doubles are highly unusual at any level, and we had better alert our audacity in trying to exact a penalty. You are in ACBL for now, so it's cool.

In England we do, however, understand the proper use of the definite article. Your national bridge organisation may illterately call itself "ACBL", but ours is "the EBU".
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#10 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2011-April-02, 03:01

View PostPhil, on 2011-April-01, 17:27, said:

On #1, LHO held KJxx so I walked into 500. Partner didn't correct with T8x, but 3 really isn't any better.

Except that it might not have been doubled.

What were the shapes around the table? Something like 2245-4342-6214 ? If so it will be very hard for them to double 3.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#11 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-02, 03:57

View PostEchognome, on 2011-April-01, 01:07, said:

View PostPhil, on 2011-April-01, 17:27, said:

This matched my actions.

I would never bid 3 here unless I have specifically discussed that such an auction denies 5-5 and tends to show 6-4.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#12 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2011-April-03, 11:39

View Postgnasher, on 2011-April-02, 02:48, said:

In England we do, however, understand the proper use of the definite article. Your national bridge organisation may illterately call itself "ACBL", but ours is "the EBU".

Just noticed this bit. The organization is certainly "the" EBU, or "the" ACBL. I was referring, however, to the players governed by and playing in boundaries of the organization(s) --hence "in EBU" and "in ACBL". I could have said "in England", but did not know if the EBU encompassed more territory.

Sometimes members of the ACBL play in EBU; Sometimes members of the EBU play in ACBL. Sorry if that is illiterate, rather than literary license, to you.

It did remind me, though, of the final line in a movie I enjoyed: "Do you refer to God as 'the God'?" It was in referrence to why the Agency was called CIA, not the CIA.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#13 User is offline   hatchett 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-April-04, 01:21

View Postcherdano, on 2011-April-02, 03:57, said:

I would never bid 3 here unless I have specifically discussed that such an auction denies 5-5 and tends to show 6-4.

5-5 hands will Michaels so logically this should show 6-4

#14 User is offline   Echognome 

• Deipnosophist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-06, 13:40

Whether this bidding sequence should logically show 6-4 depends entirely on your Michael's agreements. Some play a split range Michael's (Weak or Strong) with the intermediate hands overcalling. This is not a style I play in any of my partnerships. Therefore, if I overcall and then bid again, I will tend to show 6-4 (or perhaps a 6-5 with a bad minor). However, that is my style, so completely understand Arend's comment.
"Half the people you know are below average." - Steven Wright

#15 User is offline   Phil 

Posted 2011-April-06, 14:09

View Postgnasher, on 2011-April-02, 03:01, said:

Except that it might not have been doubled.

What were the shapes around the table? Something like 2245-4342-6214 ? If so it will be very hard for them to double 3.

From me clockwise:

1=6=4=2
3=1=4=5
4=3=4=2
5=3=1=4

I'm pretty sure this LHO would double 3, although I can't be certain.

Partner did mention after the hand he thought I was 5-5.
Hi y'all!

#16 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2011-April-06, 15:24

So the hand on the left had something like xxx x KJxx xxxxx but chose to pass 2 rather than support spades, and the hand on the right reopened by rebidding a five-card suit, despite holding Kxx in the suit bid on his left?

I suppose it would be consistent for LHO to double 3 on a small singleton, despite holding undisclosed three-card support for the suit his partner rebid twice. But not in a good way.

#17 User is offline   Phil 

Posted 2011-April-06, 15:26

View Postgnasher, on 2011-April-06, 15:24, said:

So the hand on the left had something like xxx x KJxx xxxxx but chose to pass 2 rather than support spades, and the hand on the right reopened by rebidding a five-card suit, despite holding Kxx in the suit bid on his left?

I suppose it would be consistent for LHO to double 3 on a small singleton, despite holding undisclosed three-card support for the suit his partner rebid twice. But not in a good way.

They play canape (Blue Club).

I realize this is only a partial explanation for their bidding.
Hi y'all!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

13 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users