Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's this then...? Scotland

#1 User is offline   jules101 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-March-29, 13:07

East says - at their turn to bid in a somewhat jocular tone - "What's this then...? Bid game, and try and make it...?"

Is West now compromised?

#2 User is offline   richlp 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-29, 13:17

View Postjules101, on 2011-March-29, 13:07, said:

East says - at their turn to bid in a somewhat jocular tone - "What's this then...? Bid game, and try and make it...?"

Is West now compromised?

Not if I'm North or South. It sounds like something I might say.

I realize that duplicate bridge is a serious competition and that it's not "just a game so why is everyone so upset." OTOH, there's nothing wrong with having some fun while you play and to treat this as anything other than an attempt at humor goes a bit further than I would prefer.

#3 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-March-29, 13:31

Agree. We're not told what level this is but I'd imagine it's probably best to refrain from this kind of thing in national and higher level competitions?

ahydra

#4 User is offline   jules101 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-29, 13:40

Regional qualifier for National Pairs

#5 User is offline   axman 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-29, 17:52

View Postrichlp, on 2011-March-29, 13:17, said:

Not if I'm North or South. It sounds like something I might say.

I realize that duplicate bridge is a serious competition and that it's not "just a game so why is everyone so upset." OTOH, there's nothing wrong with having some fun while you play and to treat this as anything other than an attempt at humor goes a bit further than I would prefer.

I’m reminded of my first nationals. It was the Sunday swiss where I arrived with my partner to find, miracle of miracles….the boards had been made. Well, while playing the boards I had the feeling that the opponents seemed to know a bit too much about the cards. I didn’t say anything and as expected we were blown out. And to this day I still wonder about those boards. The point is that we should have made the boards with both sides present so that there would be no question of hanky-panky.

Just like this situation. East says something that sounds like a coded message- even if it is off the cuff and meant to humor. It can distract an opponent, put him off, or even put him out- affecting the outcome of a large number of boards. Personally, I want my opponents to be at their best- even in a setting of familiarity where I am ironclad positive they wouldn’t mind in the least.

As such, the problem is not merely whether W is compromised- but the unknowable quantity of the opponents [possibly] not knowing they have been distracted or subsequently feel they may have been cheated.

#6 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-30, 04:47

View Postaxman, on 2011-March-29, 17:52, said:

Just like this situation. East says something that sounds like a coded message- even if it is off the cuff and meant to humor. It can distract an opponent, put him off, or even put him out- affecting the outcome of a large number of boards. Personally, I want my opponents to be at their best- even in a setting of familiarity where I am ironclad positive they wouldn’t mind in the least.

As such, the problem is not merely whether W is compromised- but the unknowable quantity of the opponents [possibly] not knowing they have been distracted or subsequently feel they may have been cheated.

I don't think it sounds like a coded message, and I wouldn't be wondering if my opponents were cheating. However, it does sound like the sort of comment that would not be made if East had anything to think about, so that is UI that West has. I don't suppose it's likely to become relevant, but it could.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#7 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2011-March-30, 12:29

It sounds like a normal casual comment, and I am amazed that anyone should take it otherwise.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#8 User is offline   AlexJonson 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-31, 14:25

West is certainly compromised since the remark implies comfort with defending.

If you can deconstruct the remark to mean something else, I can't.

Does it matter? Possible, but not likely.

#9 User is offline   shintaro 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-31, 14:37

mmm

some of us more laid back players do make comments at the table especially so when we know the opps ;)

I have made rude comments to Bluejak and he to me but we would not think of fetching the Pigs in

Wrong in Law maybe but we just enjoy the Game and Banter

#10 User is offline   AlexJonson 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-31, 16:23

View Postshintaro, on 2011-March-31, 14:37, said:

mmm

some of us more laid back players do make comments at the table especially so when we know the opps ;)

I have made rude comments to Bluejak and he to me but we would not think of fetching the Pigs in

Wrong in Law maybe but we just enjoy the Game and Banter

So do we all, but not very often on this forum mate.

#11 User is offline   shintaro 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-01, 01:10

View PostAlexJonson, on 2011-March-31, 16:23, said:

So do we all, but not very often on this forum mate.

ROFL :D

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users