BBO Discussion Forums: Declare or Defend? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Declare or Defend? GIBs are not allowed.

Poll: Declare or Defend? (16 member(s) have cast votes)

So?

1. Declare! (13 votes [81.25%])

Percentage of vote: 81.25%

2. Defend! (3 votes [18.75%])

Percentage of vote: 18.75%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-April-12, 15:38

The contract is 3NT by South.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#2 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-April-12, 15:45

Declare? Looks like a real life hand btw.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#3 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-12, 16:22

.edited.

i might have had my mind changed.

#4 User is offline   Quantumcat 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Archery, classical guitar, piano, watercolour painting, programming, french

Posted 2011-April-12, 18:35

Do we get to defend/declare double dummy?

Declaring, on a spade lead, can duck the first spade and discard a diamond on the second, discard another diamond on the ace of spades, then run the diamonds and A for 9th trick. And if defense don't attack spades then I don't see where they are going to get any tricks from. If they start with a non-spade, win in dummy and cash one diamond or play a diamond to dummy, take spade finesse and discard any remaining diamonds in dummy, and take nine tricks as before.

edit.
They can just exit a diamond, and they haven't given up a trick in clubs or hearts so I think we are beaten. We have to duck the 1st spade otherwise diamonds stay blocked. I change my vote to Defense.

edit once more.
Since they can exit passively after winning the ten of spades and beat us, say we take it. Then play 2 diamonds and the jack of clubs. If West takes it and plays say a heart, we duck his queen. He can't play a spade cause the diamonds are running now, so he plays a heart, we win and play a club through the king, East has to take it or else we run lots of tricks. He's run out of hearts and anything he plays lets us run lots of tricks! So, say instead of West winning the jack of clubs, East wins it. Say he plays a heart. We duck the queen. West has to play another (spade gets us to hand) and we take it. We drop the ace of clubs. Win the next heart. Come back to hand with the queen of clubs and run plenty of tricks :-)
So maybe I change my vote back to Declare.
(Unless I have accidentally missed letting the defense take five tricks at some point)
I Transfers

#5 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-12, 21:00

quantumcat said:

Since they can exit passively after winning the ten of spades and beat us, say we take it. Then play 2 diamonds and the jack of clubs. If West takes it and plays say a heart, we duck his queen. He can't play a spade cause the diamonds are running now, so he plays a heart, we win and play a club through the king, East has to take it or else we run lots of tricks. He's run out of hearts and anything he plays lets us run lots of tricks! So, say instead of West winning the jack of clubs, East wins it. Say he plays a heart. We duck the queen. West has to play another (spade gets us to hand) and we take it. We drop the ace of clubs. Win the next heart. Come back to hand with the queen of clubs and run plenty of tricks :-)
So maybe I change my vote back to Declare.
(Unless I have accidentally missed letting the defense take five tricks at some point)

Heh. not that i have this figured out, or anything, but I think it is a mistake for either defender to win the first club trick (CJ), as that sets up the club queen as an entry with sufficient stoppers in H. If one of the opps does win the first club, i think it is a mistake for declarer to duck a heart. defenders can then switch back to spades -- declarer will get their two spades and six diamonds, but on the run of the diamonds EW pitch their heart losers, keeping spades and a master club.

Once both EW duck a club, you exit a club to W's ACE and i *think* you can force them to win the fourth round of hearts, after only losing two, at which point they have to lead a spade to S.

#6 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-12, 22:05

Spoiler

If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#7 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2011-April-13, 06:54

I can see two ways to make it: y66's line, or this one:

Win the spade, cash AK, cash J, play a club to West, duck the heart return, win the next heart, exit with 8 (retaining the 2 or 3, in case East unblocked).
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#8 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-April-13, 09:01

By the way, west can avoid the endplay with some pyrotechnical unblocking in hearts, but in that case you are winning A + five hearts + 2 + the club they must let you win.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#9 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-13, 11:59

This is from the (otherwise nice) book "Bridge - 80 classic problems" by Erwin Brecher & Danny Roth that I somehow picked up in a book store recently. They mistakenly claim that the contract cannot be made after a spade lead to the king.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#10 User is offline   Trumpace 

• Hideous Rabbit
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-13, 14:15

This hand reminds me of this hand I posted a while back: http://www.bridgebas.../26693-3c-hand/

#11 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-13, 14:37

errr...

syntax error.

abort? retry? fail?

#12 User is offline   Trumpace 

• Hideous Rabbit
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-13, 15:08

matmat, on 2011-April-13, 14:37, said:

errr...

syntax error.

abort? retry? fail?

Wrong thread error. Please try again in 20 years.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

14 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users