BBO Discussion Forums: know your opponent before going to war - BBO Discussion Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

know your opponent before going to war

#61 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2011-August-14, 04:19

2 must be weak in that case because there's no other bid with a weak hand that wanted to pass 2. 2 is weak for a similar reason (5-4 or 4-5 or 4-4 in the majors, whichever way you play it).
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#62 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2011-August-14, 05:01

At my second turn turn to bid, I would reason as follows:
Partner knows I have an opening NT count and he knows, from my XX, that I have values in clubs. If it is right to play these hands in some number of NT, I trust that he would have bid some number of NT. He didn't, so I pass 2. And then, if lho (who is probably wondering how a deck can have so many clubs in it) bids 3, I will pass that too.

There have been times when I make somewhat pushy bids based on my assessment of the opponents but 2NT at my second turn is way over the top.

In keeping with the general theme of the thread, knowing partner and opponents, I guess bidding 2NT means "Partner, I am supposing that you have the values for a raise to 2NT but you are too dumb to bid it, so I will". Am I reading this right? If so, I would imagine that you have trouble keeping partners.
Ken

#63 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2011-August-14, 05:02

View Postthe hog, on 2011-August-13, 19:02, said:

There is no need to be rude to people,

Wish you could always keep that in mind, Hog.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#64 User is offline   vianu2 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:not to be taken seriously

Posted 2011-August-14, 07:51

View Postkenberg, on 2011-August-14, 05:01, said:

In keeping with the general theme of the thread, knowing partner and opponents, I guess bidding 2NT means "Partner, I am supposing that you have the values for a raise to 2NT but you are too dumb to bid it, so I will". Am I reading this right? If so, I would imagine that you have trouble keeping partners.

No, i didn't seriously think to the fact that 2CL might be weak that's all. People often get nervous when i bid 2CL like that and they think that is a psyche. But let's say i would pass 2D and LHO come in with 3CL. I would double again (excuse me) wtf is mp and i have some trics. And partner should pass anyway . I said i agree with him as i was dumb, but 3D cannot be better. He reasoned that if i X 3CL opponents will not stay here and they will finally find their fit...then he was anticipative with 3D :D rofl

#65 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2011-August-14, 10:22

Looking back at the hands I suppose that when 2 comes back to me I might try 2. It's a horrible contract as the cards lie but after all partner did bid 2. He must have been prepared for a 2 response to his 2 so I might give it a shot. It might be down 2 or 3 tricks but it may not be so easy for them to double here. My guess is that they contest to 3. Now, having shown my count, shown my club values and shown my spade suit, I can't imagine overruling any decision partner makes.

Btw, I also would not have bid 3 with your partner's hand. My view would be that I said my piece when I pulled the XX, and if partner now doubles 3 that's his choice. I suppose there are nine tricks in clubs, but of course you have a reasonable expectation that the club honors will be placed differently. Counting on three clubs, a spade and a heart probably isn't crazy, but it's no sure bet either. For example, even if the clubs are where you think, there are various trump coups that even an inexperienced player might execute without having to know what he is doing. He isn't going to just hand you all of those club tricks.

As to them suddenly finding their heart fit after 3 is doubled, I think that as a practical matter you can forget it. For either of them to call 3 would be a total shot in the dark. Such things happen, but I think the far bigger worry is that 3 X may come in.

Fwiw, if I do bid 2 over 2 and we eventually defend a club contract declared on my left (as it would be) I have upped the chances of a spade lead from partner at trick 1. This is good.
Ken

#66 User is offline   babushkka 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2011-August-14, 20:41

I was playing in a team match once where one of the opps psyched about 5 of the 8 hands. But somehow he kept winning IMPs every hand. Ridiculous stuff like opening 1nt with a 3 count and 6 clubs in 1st seat. Sure enough when my partner and I reach 4h, and his partner doubles, he now pulls to 5cx and gets rewarded with 5 clubs in the dummy. I didn't mind him psyching early on, but when he continued to psyche the final few hands when he was well ahead I was way pissed. Then he apologized to his teammates for dropping an IMP on one board. Only time I completely outraged on BBO...

#67 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2011-August-15, 04:14

View Postmgoetze, on 2011-August-14, 05:02, said:

Wish you could always keep that in mind, Hog.

Pot calling kettle?
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#68 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2011-August-15, 05:26

View Postthe hog, on 2011-August-15, 04:14, said:

Pot calling kettle?

Yes, that's exactly what I thought when I saw your post.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#69 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2011-August-15, 18:39

View Postmgoetze, on 2011-August-15, 05:26, said:

Yes, that's exactly what I thought when I saw your post.

Thank you for agreeing with me. Unlike you I am not rude, I just don't suffer fools gladly.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#70 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-17, 17:36

My favorite psyche was a double one by my partner in an out of town Regional. He opened 1nt on a 2 count in first chair and it worked.

The opps SCREAMED for a Director who noted no fielding, no adjustment and started to walk away. They then SCREAMED for a recorder form which he brought and jumped into my partners face with WHAT'S YOUR NAME!

He gave them mine.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#71 User is offline   655321 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-17, 17:56

View Postggwhiz, on 2011-August-17, 17:36, said:

My favorite psyche was a double one by my partner in an out of town Regional. He opened 1nt on a 2 count in first chair and it worked.

The opps SCREAMED for a Director who noted no fielding, no adjustment and started to walk away. They then SCREAMED for a recorder form which he brought and jumped into my partners face with WHAT'S YOUR NAME!

He gave them mine.

http://www.bridgebas...ndpost&p=467330
http://www.bridgebas...ndpost&p=479763
http://www.bridgebas...ndpost&p=530031
http://www.bridgebas...ndpost&p=544666
That's impossible. No one can give more than one hundred percent. By definition that is the most anyone can give.

#72 User is offline   dustinst22 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Spades, Bridge, good food/wine, MMA, classical music, cycling

Posted 2011-August-18, 10:40

View Post655321, on 2011-August-17, 17:56, said:

lol, some people like telling the same story over and over.

#73 User is offline   slothy 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-30, 02:47

Lol, it does really amaze me what the motivation was behind the thread creation and the inflammatory title he gave it.

Just to echo the majority of the repliers: hrothy, hoggy, jlogic, et al and to attempt to rephrase into an amusing metaphor: he seemed to arrogantly wave his head above the parapet and then was resentful when people started to take pot-shots at him.

If he meant it as a humorous display of his bridge savviness (and failure to appreciate that he was lucky to get away with most of them) it reminds me of the pheasant who stuck peacock feathers on his back to attract a mate more successfully. He was still shot in a pheasant-shoot because, after all, he was still identified as a pheasant, just lacking the natural camouflage and the feathers made him 4 times more noticeable. Also, he shouldnt indict others of not having his same sense of humour.

Alex
gaudium est miseris socios habuisse penarum - Misery loves company.

#74 User is offline   Wackojack 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have discovered that the water cooler is a chrono-synclastic infundibulum

Posted 2011-August-31, 11:17

Consider: Will the 2NT psyche on a balanced 6 at green gain or lose in the long run? Say partner has a balanced hand also. Then these are the possibilities in decreasing liklihood:

HCP HCP
We Opps Imps We Opps Imps
Most likely 17 23 -4 not dbled
Less likely 18 22 -3 or -10 16 24 -3
Less likely 19 21 -4 or -16 15 25 +9 assuming undoubled

Looks like most of the time you are on to a small loss if you are lucky and a big loss if you luck runs out. If you happen to find your partner with a far less than likely 6-9HCP and your opponents dont find a double then you can crow.

PS Sorry the table inserted does not arrange as pasted. Hope readers can decifer.
May 2003: Mission accomplished
Oct 2006: Mission impossible
Soon: Mission illegal

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users