• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3NTXX--ATB

#1 User is offline   fuburules3 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-December-03, 07:25

IMPS.

The spots are approximate. You have played with this partner before, but you do not have much in the way of agreements other than you are playing a simple 2/1 card. If it matters, there was a bit of a tank between X and XX.

What do you think of 3 bid? Would you bid 3 instead? If so, under what conditions would you bid first? In some partnerships, I have a meta agreement to always show the major if you will only get to bid once, but this was not one of these partnerships.

How strong of a hand should X and then bidding 3NT show? Is south too weak for this action?

What should XX show in this auction? Is south right to leave this in?

#2 User is offline   gartinmale 

• PipPipPip
  • Interests:statistics, bridge, sound recording and editing, crosswords, American football and baseball, making redoubled contracts (16 out of 35 and counting...)

Posted 2011-December-03, 07:38

If it matters (maybe it does based on likely general preempt strength?) I played this hand and E/W were vulnerable.

#3 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2011-December-04, 06:54

I think South's actions are fine, double-then-3NT shows a good hand but some doubt about playing in 3NT.
North's redouble should mean he wants to play there, unless you've agreed otherwise, so I hate it. I would bid 4C on the North hand with or without the double, I expect to play in 4S or 5D.

#4 User is offline   mfa1010 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-December-04, 07:38

I would have responded 3. The difference in suit quality/length between / is not great enough to surpress the major, and I do have a few values, so it is ok if partner raises 3. After partner's 3NT I would have passed (given a 3 bid). His sequence is implying some hope for finding a major fit but we have little guarantee to find a spade fit and not just four hearts opposite. Redoubling for blood is not appreciating that partner is under a lot of pressure in these situations and should have some leeway.
Michael Askgaard

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users