BBO Discussion Forums: NV @ MP returns - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

NV @ MP returns

Poll: NV @ MP returns (25 member(s) have cast votes)

your call

1. pass (1 votes [4.00%])

Percentage of vote: 4.00%

2. 3C (24 votes [96.00%])

Percentage of vote: 96.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-January-12, 15:59

Qxx
ATxx
xx
Kxxx

again all NV at MP, this time LHO opens 1D.

1D-p-1H-p
1N-2C-2D-??
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-12, 18:45

If someone didnt steal my 3 card from bidding box i would not mastermind and bid it and save my energy to another board. :)
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-12, 22:40

3, fold my cards and put them in my pocket.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#4 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-13, 00:23

Csaba?
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#5 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-January-13, 00:29

View Postcherdano, on 2012-January-13, 00:23, said:

Csaba?

LoL, now u know why i asked him on the other thread, this was first and then other one came, and i know Csaba well enough that he wouldnt ask those questions if he wasnt upto something :)
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#6 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2012-January-13, 01:35

There were two problems with this hand:
-i never know what I'm supposed to do when partner bids like this since I would personally never pass then bid in a no fit auction like this.
-i missaw the vulnerability! we were unfavourable:( I told that to my partner but he thought it would have been a bad bid anyway

George Carlin

#7 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2012-January-13, 10:54

If pard is the sort of person who will have a logical reason to bid like this (i.e. might have a 4-2-2-5), then 3C is normal.

If pard is a bit of a random guy who likes to be funny, who knows? It's anyone's guess.

#8 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-16, 06:34

I voted "pass" before reading further. Surprised to see so many votes for 3.
I am very happy partner has managed to push them up a level, so leave it there. This is definitely not our hand, partner failed to bid 2 first time round, so he has probably no more than a 10 count, possibly fewer, and only 5 clubs, having failed to WJO. So we have definitely less than half the pack, and only a 9 card fit. The doubleton diamond looks bad, my spade is sat on, and I see no reason to sacrifice.

Another factor is the possible damage to partnership morale. When I make a successful push, to have a better chance at defending, and then partner goes and bids further for bad score, it really annoys me.

#9 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-16, 06:49

The decision on what to bid on this hand depends to a great extent on what you expect from a 2-level overcall initially. I see from the other poll that my 2-level overcalls are lighter than most, who may demand a 13 count if 2335 shape? If that is the case, then maybe a delayed 2 is only slightly weaker, or as whereagles says, a high count mild 2-suiter. In this case, a 3 bid would be essential, I think.

#10 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-January-17, 12:39

I BBF.

#11 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2012-January-17, 14:05

View PostfromageGB, on 2012-January-16, 06:34, said:

I voted "pass" before reading further. Surprised to see so many votes for 3.
I am very happy partner has managed to push them up a level, so leave it there. This is definitely not our hand, partner failed to bid 2 first time round, so he has probably no more than a 10 count, possibly fewer, and only 5 clubs, having failed to WJO. So we have definitely less than half the pack, and only a 9 card fit. The doubleton diamond looks bad, my spade is sat on, and I see no reason to sacrifice.

Another factor is the possible damage to partnership morale. When I make a successful push, to have a better chance at defending, and then partner goes and bids further for bad score, it really annoys me.

I also have no idea what partner has to bid like this, my partners never do it, so I would just assume he mis-sorted his hand the first time and raise.
But I don't think you can say we have 'pushed them up a level', who's to say RHO was passing 1NT anyway?

#12 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2012-January-18, 01:16

View Postgwnn, on 2012-January-13, 01:35, said:

There were two problems with this hand:
-i never know what I'm supposed to do when partner bids like this since I would personally never pass then bid in a no fit auction like this.
-i missaw the vulnerability! we were unfavourable:( I told that to my partner but he thought it would have been a bad bid anyway

So, as we all want to know, why DID partner bid like that?

#13 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2012-January-18, 02:07

View PostCthulhu D, on 2012-January-18, 01:16, said:

So, as we all want to know, why DID partner bid like that?

He had xxxxx in clubs and some points. I didn't follow the play very closely. His reasoning was that "he didn't want to let them play 1NT". I asked him what would have happened if RHO passes and we go for -500 or if I have a less fitting hand and we go for -1100 on the 2-level, he said well RHO didn't pass did she?
      George Carlin

#14 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-January-18, 03:35

I think partner's sequence shows diamonds as well as clubs, though obviously that's inconsistent with my hand and the rest of the auction.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#15 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-18, 03:44

What could possibly the point of bidding 2C if we don't raise with this hand ?
I mean, if it was 800 at 3level opposite this hand it could easily be 1400 at 2 level opposite some random hand.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users