BBO Discussion Forums: Another Hand to make a bidding decision - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Another Hand to make a bidding decision

#1 User is offline   barsikb 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-July-28, 08:56

East:

Dealer is West. None Vul.

Bidding: 1(W) - 2(N)- 2(E)-3(s)-3(W)-4(N)-?

I wouldn't mind if you tell me that somethimg must be wrong with this bidding but still need to know if bidding did go like this, what East should do next? Just game? Or...?

#2 User is offline   louisg 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-28, 09:32

View Postbarsikb, on 2013-July-28, 08:56, said:

East:

Dealer is West. None Vul.

Bidding: 1(W) - 2(N)- 2(E)-3(s)-3(W)-4(N)-?

I wouldn't mind if you tell me that somethimg must be wrong with this bidding but still need to know if bidding did go like this, what East should do next? Just game? Or...?

I will assume that West's 3S bid is nonforcing, since I think that would be the common treatment. Even so, slam is possible for EW opposite a hand like Kxx Axx KQxxx xx. I would bid 4D, which must be a slam try showing help in diamonds since spades have been agreed. If opener now cooperates with a 4H bid then East can continue with either 4NT or 5C.

#3 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-July-28, 15:01

louisg has it right, but the hand is too borderline to commit to slam itself, after 4-4 you have to avoid 4NT at all cost, 4NT doesn't invite any more, it forces to slam whenever 2 aces aren't missing, his could mean a slam missing KQ and an ace!

after 4 then we have 2 reasonable options: 4 and 5, I would go for 4 since the hand is just a marginal invite to slam and really needs to find the nuts opposite.

#4 User is offline   louisg 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-28, 15:57

In all fairness, this may depend on the partnership's rules for cuebidding. This may be too detailed for the N/B forum, but in my partnerships 4H would not only promise heart control (presumably the Ace since the King would be of little value after the overcall), but also a hand interested in cooperating. I'd be hard pressed to imagine such a hand that didn't include at least the King or QJ.

#5 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-July-29, 04:20

I totally agree with you, but note that missing just one of K/Q (and the jack can be in the picture) makes slam poor. We need more than above average hand in front (assuming 3 is nf)

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users