BBO Discussion Forums: Happy New Year - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Happy New Year I'll have a new day, if it will have me.

#21 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-January-01, 21:36

I found the service road/frontage road/access road question interesting. I'm certain I've used all three, so my answer should be "I use them interchangeably" but obv that wasn't an option.

I don't recall which option jlall picked, but it was unique to Dallas and San Antonio and presumably was a big influence on the test's final (correct) results for him.
OK
bed

#22 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-01, 22:06

Happy New Year, all!

Sorry to hear about your trials, Phil, but it sounds like it's working out okay, so that's good.

I took the test too. It came up with three cities: Philadelphia, Newark/Patterson NJ, and Yonkers. I was born in Chicago, moved at three to Long Island, at five to Silver Springs MD, at seven to Manhattan (NYC, not KS), at nine to Pelham, which is pretty close to Yonkers. Stayed there until I graduated from high school, and since then I've lived in a lot of places, but I've been here in Rochester NY for the last twenty years. So it did pretty good, considering. I'd have thought that my time in places like SoCal and Hawaii, not to mention foreign countries, might have confused it, but I guess not.

I call 'em subs, and as far as I can remember, always have. I'm familiar with other terms, though, such as "grinder", and "hero". I remember a series of books back in the eighties, a take off on John D. MacDonald's Travis McGee. The main character was a guy named "Pepperoni Hero". He lived on a houseboat (in Chicago, of all places), as did McGee, but he won his in a crap game, and duly named her "The Crap". The first book was "A Hero Ain't Nothin' But A Sandwich". Memory sure is strange, ain't it? :lol:
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#23 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-January-02, 04:02

View Postblackshoe, on 2014-January-01, 22:06, said:

I call 'em subs, and as far as I can remember, always have. I'm familiar with other terms, though, such as "grinder", and "hero". I remember a series of books back in the eighties, a take off on John D. MacDonald's Travis McGee. The main character was a guy named "Pepperoni Hero". He lived on a houseboat (in Chicago, of all places), as did McGee, but he won his in a crap game, and duly named her "The Crap". The first book was "A Hero Ain't Nothin' But A Sandwich". Memory sure is strange, ain't it? :lol:

Indeed. The books, by Bill Kelly, were actually

• Sandwiches Are Not My Business
  • Peanut Butter & Jelly Is Not for Kids
  • Tuna Is Not for Eating

If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#24 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-02, 08:22

I often have memories that involve a phrase or so. Many years ago I was on something of a Travis McGee kick. I think it was in The Girl in the Brown Paper Bag that I came across the following: There was this villain. It was clear that he was the villain, but proof was lacking. Through a series of events that I cannot recall at all, he became strung up dangling from a tree, still alive. Travis and the Sheriff came across this scene, and of course good guy Travis starts toward him to cut him down. The Sherrif grabs hin and says "Don't disturb the evidence, boy". I remember nothing else about the story, or of the other McGee stories either, except that as is often the case in such series they don't much differ one from the other. But this line I remember. Perhaps I will have an opportunity to use in myself sometime.
Ken

#25 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-January-02, 08:51

I took the quiz also and ended up in New York City but noticed that several of the individual answers placed me in the South, Midwest, New England, Mountains, California, North West, Alaska. Not sure about Hawaii, though.

Of course I am not really part of the target audience. The pronunciation questions I can answer but many of the concepts I don't have words for as I am not a native speaker (and only spent three weeks in the US in total).
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#26 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-02, 09:07

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-January-02, 08:51, said:

I took the quiz also and ended up in New York City but noticed that several of the individual answers placed me in the South, Midwest, New England, Mountains, California, North West, Alaska. Not sure about Hawaii, though.

Of course I am not really part of the target audience. The pronunciation questions I can answer but many of the concepts I don't have words for as I am not a native speaker (and only spent three weeks in the US in total).

Aha. Perhaps the site really is a sting to uncover foreign nationals living in the U.S.. You are now on the governments watch list. :)
Ken

#27 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-January-02, 19:21

View PostGreenMan, on 2014-January-02, 04:02, said:

Indeed. The books, by Bill Kelly, were actually

• Sandwiches Are Not My Business
  • Peanut Butter & Jelly Is Not for Kids
  • Tuna Is Not for Eating

Huh. So much for my perfect memory. Now what was I doing again? :lol:
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#28 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-January-03, 07:54

in case some of you still need some inspiration for new years resolutions, here is some: http://www.theguardi...doned?CMP=fb_gu
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users