"Generic Game Try"

#61 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-February-01, 05:06

View Postmycroft, on 2014-January-31, 11:11, said:

Given that nobody who doesn't play Last Train understands Last Train, using an - accurate, but not terribly descriptive? - phrase like "generic slam try" for it is, in my opinion, at best useless.
Given that at least a minority of people in this thread took "generic game try" in the OP case as "game try in spades, could be short or long" - unless we're the only thick ones, it seems like another one of those explanations like 2 "11-15, 4=4=1=5 minus a card" that are much more helpful to the explaining side than the asking one.
(note, as I said before, I play both of these, and *use* these descriptions - internally.
IMO: "Last train" is the more common description but incomprehensible to those unfamiliar with the metaphor. "Generic game try" (or "Generic slam try") is concise and accurate. Nevertheless, just as with descriptions like "11-15, 4=4=1=5 minus a card", you should keep paraphrasing until opponents seem to understand.

#62 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-01, 17:29

View Postmycroft, on 2014-January-31, 11:11, said:

Given that nobody who doesn't play Last Train understands Last Train, using an - accurate, but not terribly descriptive? - phrase like "generic slam try" for it is, in my opinion, at best useless.

If you are looking for a descriptive phrase for a non-descript bid, how about "non-descript, neither showing nor denying anything about the suit bid"?
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#63 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-February-01, 20:38

View Postaguahombre, on 2014-February-01, 17:29, said:

If you are looking for a descriptive phrase for a non-descript bid, how about "non-descript, neither showing nor denying anything about the suit bid"?
Fine if you also mention that it's a game-try :)

#64 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2014-February-01, 22:19

View Postaguahombre, on 2014-January-30, 20:42, said:

My prescription drugs are name brand or generic. Our bids are descriptive, or asking, or generic noises. If Last Train says nothing one way or another about the suit bid, but is merely a last train attempt to offer (game or slam) -- it is generic.

I am not sure this analogy is helpful in this context.

The significant difference between a branded drug and a generic one is simply the brand name. The generic drug is real but marketed for its active component not is brand name.

I think generic is used in a different sense when applied to game try. It's not just unbranded its general rather than specific although it may or may not be impacted by any other specific game tries that are available. As such a partnership may need to be very careful to achieve full disclosure.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#65 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-February-01, 22:31

View PostCascade, on 2014-February-01, 22:19, said:

I am not sure this analogy is helpful in this context.

The significant difference between a branded drug and a generic one is simply the brand name. The generic drug is real but marketed for its active component not is brand name.

I think generic is used in a different sense when applied to game try. It's not just unbranded its general rather than specific although it may or may not be impacted by any other specific game tries that are available. As such a partnership may need to be very careful to achieve full disclosure.

Yeh, I was being a little more simplistic than that. Generic as opposed to the "name brands" like HSGT, LSGT or SSGT. General is better than generic.

We mistreat "vanilla", also. It has a distinctive flavor and is not colorless.

#66 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-February-01, 22:52

View Postaguahombre, on 2014-February-01, 22:31, said:

Yeh, I was being a little more simplistic than that. Generic as opposed to the "name brands" like HSGT, LSGT or SSGT. General is better than generic.

Well, quite. In this context "generic" would apply not to a non-name brand drug (a very specific and non-literal use of the word) but to any old drug.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#67 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2014-February-03, 10:52

The problem with all of this (and, as I said, I have some of them in my repertoire myself; one that comes to mind immediately, but I'm sure some that don't) is that even if you mean it as "general game try", it's unclear if you have "specific game tries", and if so, what they are (and therefore, what you don't have). Witness my befuddlement, even with an explanation that the implication is that there are 2 spades, on aguahombre's generic game try = "what I know, which is unspecified LSGT".

Now, all the people here will be comfortable with the followup "what does it deny?" or "what other game tries do you have?" But at least some of the opponents will be those who can't see what they're not being told, *and* are the type to think "well, he does it, therefore it must be right" and start giving out similarly vague and less-than-full disclosures on their calls (for instance, 1 precision - 1 "waiting". Yes, I've heard that, from people who should know better as well as people who don't.) Also, those people *aren't* comfortable with the above kind of supplemental question - partly because they don't actually *know that they know* it, but also because their opponents didn't explain that part, so why should they?

I also know that trying to explain 2NT Lebensohl or 2 Keri, or my 2 scramble from 1NTx (any hand that can't make any other call to play. To play, at least undoubled, even in the possible 2-1 fit. See, even here I have trouble explaining).

Blackshoe, I also like the 4=4=1=5 without a card explanation - as I said, I use it internally with my partners that play it. It's intutively obvious, if you've played the convention. After trying it twice on standard bidders, I've reverted to "11-15, three-suited, short in diamonds. Could be 34 either way in the majors." and my answer to any vaguely relevant supplemental question is the 4 shapes.

While I appreciate the vanilla comment - absolutely, it has a (strong!) flavour, and it certainly isn't "vanilla" when you do it right - *that* comes from ice cream - "ice cream" without qualification, for many years and still now in cases like pie à la mode, means vanilla (or "vanilla", which means they waved a bean over the ingredients sometimes in production). Note that not only is vanilla in this context a (North) Americanism, so is "pie à la mode" - the fashion in France isn't "with a scoop of ice cream on top" :-)
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#68 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-February-03, 11:25

View Postmycroft, on 2014-February-03, 10:52, said:

Now, all the people here will be comfortable with the followup "what does it deny?" or "what other game tries do you have?"

The law says that players can ask about calls available but not made. It doesn't say we have to volunteer that level of detail when explaining the calls that were made. I'm not saying you should try to hide behind the laws to give the minimum disclosure required, but there should be a happy medium.

In the end, it comes down to personal judgement. Try to be reasonable and give people the benefit of the doubt when their standard doesn't meet your expectations. Most people aren't trying to get you with legal technicalities, they just have slightly different understandings about the requirements than you.

#69 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2014-February-03, 15:33

I think "generic" is fine. It means "non-specific" in this context. The alert shows that it is artificial (unless natural game-tries are alertable in the US!)
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#70 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-February-04, 11:18

View Postlamford, on 2014-February-03, 15:33, said:

I think "generic" is fine. It means "non-specific" in this context. The alert shows that it is artificial (unless natural game-tries are alertable in the US!)

That's correct, natural game tries are not alertable. Short-suit game tries are, though. So you can't assume that an alerted game try says nothing about the suit bid.

#71 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2014-February-05, 11:02

and I would believe that "help needed in [suit], could be long or short" would also be Alertable (because it could be short), and given that that's the misread of "generic" those of us who are having one are having...
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#72 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-February-05, 14:05

View Postbarmar, on 2014-February-04, 11:18, said:

That's correct, natural game tries are not alertable. Short-suit game tries are, though. So you can't assume that an alerted game try says nothing about the suit bid.

But help-suit game tries are, I assume?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#73 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-February-05, 15:46

View PostVampyr, on 2014-February-05, 14:05, said:

But help-suit game tries are, I assume?

Help suit game tries don't seem to be alertable in the ACBL, AFAICS. But, having seen people allegedly use them I agree that they don't say anything about the suit.

#74 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-February-05, 15:58

View Postaguahombre, on 2014-February-05, 15:46, said:

Help suit game tries don't seem to be alertable in the ACBL, AFAICS. But, having seen people allegedly use them I agree that they don't say anything about the suit.

I guess it always shows length, well three at least, which is likely why it is not alertable.

#75 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-February-05, 15:58

Why can't I make a single post on my mini iPad? :(

#76 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-05, 18:08

View PostVampyr, on 2014-February-05, 15:58, said:

Why can't I make a single post on my mini iPad? :(

I don't know, Steph. Most likely for some reason your ipad isn't picking up a return message from the forum quickly enough to suit its protocols, so it's resending. Either that or it's picking up your 'click' on the send button as multiples. It may have something to do with your internet connection. :unsure:
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users