Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dubious stoppers

#1 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-September-13, 16:00

I recently encountered 2 hands where I decided to bid NT with dubious stoppers. Both ended well playing 3NT+2 and 4S= but I wonder if they were good bids (needless to say, partner and/or opps were shocked and I was a bit worried before dummy hit the table). What would you have bid (IMP context).

Hand 1, R/W, you open 1C (probably bidding 2NT or 2D next depending on partner's bid) but LHO preemps 3S and 2 passes follow:

K
AJx
AKT
KT9xxx

Hand 2, all red, RHO deals and opens 1D

Ax
AQxx
J9x
KQTx

Thanks for your valuable comments.

For post mortem partner had been conservative on the 1st hand (QJxx xxx xx AQJx) and might not have balanced on the 2nd (KJTxxx Jx Qx Jxx) had I passed.

#2 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-September-13, 16:19

Hand 1 is an obvious double. Hand 2 I can live with 1NT, pass is awful and double is also pretty bad. Honestly I would choose 1 over pass/double.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-September-13, 19:58

Double should be unanimous on Hand 1.

Hand 2, I like 1NT because it gets across your values and orientation in one bid and the 1D opening won't always be a 5C suit.

#4 User is offline   Trump Echo 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-September-14, 05:07

I give credit to the OP on the 3 NT. The double seems obvious, but when Spades are led defending 3 NT, RHO is not likely to take it with the Ace. So the King wins. Point is, 3 NT might produce game, but a double likely will not.

Hand 2 - I'd have passed the first round...

#5 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2015-September-14, 11:32

I would double with the first hand. If responder passes, it looks like you'll take at least 6 tricks, possibly 7 if a holds up. 3 NT is a big gamble. It worked because LHO decided to preempt on Axxxxx(..). If the preempt had been made QJ10xxx(..), you better hope your partner has A or RHO opponent holds stiff A else 3 NT goes down a ton. You were also lucky to find partner with AQJx so there were 9 tricks available as soon as you got in.

On the second hand, double is out because there's a big problem if partner bids . So the choice is between pass and 1 NT. I'd probably bid 1 NT and be ready with the old "Sorry, but I had a heart in with the s" ploy if they a bunch of tricks at NT. With a very partner who is conservative about balancing, that is probably the best action. But I think partner has an easy 1 reopening bid even Vul.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users