BBO Discussion Forums: Another lead question - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Another lead question

Poll: Another lead question (33 member(s) have cast votes)

What suit do you lead?

1. Club (19 votes [57.58%])

Percentage of vote: 57.58%

2. Diamond (12 votes [36.36%])

Percentage of vote: 36.36%

3. Heart (1 votes [3.03%])

Percentage of vote: 3.03%

4. Spade (1 votes [3.03%])

Percentage of vote: 3.03%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is online   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-February-04, 05:05

View PostCyberyeti, on 2019-February-04, 04:52, said:

Yup, this is to me a much more difficult problem if W just bid 6 rather than 4 and E bidding 6. Now he could be something stupid like 0490 and the diamond lead could be right.

I did not look too much at the auction ... and also not at the arguments for a diamond,
which are likely sensible.
In the end get it right, club is dangerous, so is any other suit.
If the X asks for dummys first suit, go with it.
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#22 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-February-04, 05:43

View PostP_Marlowe, on 2019-February-04, 05:05, said:

I did not look too much at the auction ...

Just as well. It was complete nonsense. Even after seeing the E/W hands I can't work out what system they are playing or what their bids mean!

#23 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-February-04, 07:24

I chose the club lead without looking at the replies, so I will give some of my thoughts.

I took the 2D bid as strong. Of course at the table I might ask, but w/o an alert I assume it is strong.

Now what about doubles of slams reached by an uncontested auction? If the slam is 6NT I think the X asks for the first suit bid by dummy. Don't think, just lead it. Against suit slams I think it is a different story. I think I can find literature that agrees with me but I am still on my first cup of coffee. I think X asks for an unusual lead, not a trump or a spade, but other than that I am to look at my hand and try to judge what partner has in mind.With my 3 card D holding I find it hard to believe pard has a void there, but Rho started with 1C and then bid 2H. That doesn't prove too much but at least it is consistent with a C void in partner's hand. So a C it is.

As to the bidding: I play strong jump shifts with one partner but even with him this wouldn't be enough for me. My plan would be to start with 1D and then reverse into 2H. Of course then, when pard bids 1H over my 1D, I will have to think again. I don't see this as demonstrating any weakness on the part of the opponents. They bid differently than I do but that's a different story.
Ken

#24 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2019-February-04, 14:19

My thinking is that it must not matter what I lead - or I must lead a club. As long as 2D is a strong jump shift, this auction is screaming a 4-6 or even 5-6(7) pattern from declarer. Partner is warning me off normal spade lead - and opp would not have jumped into a suited headed by the J. Partner either holds KQJ of trumps or Axx(x) with a club void.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#25 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2019-February-04, 14:21

View Postsilvr bull, on 2019-February-02, 10:07, said:

Playing in BBO with a good partner, but no previous discussion about the implications of this double. What suit do you lead?

Leading away from any of my honours would be risky. I'd lead my singleton trump. It doesn't give anything away.
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#26 User is offline   Caitlynne 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-February-04, 16:23

I lead the 10 of diamonds. If partner is merely an experienced player, partner has made a Lightner double asking for the first suit bid by dummy - and that is diamonds. If partner is a good player, either s/he has it beat no matter what you lead, or partner has made a Lightner double asking for the first suit bid by dummy. This is THE widely understood meaning for this double.

#27 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2019-February-04, 22:56

Most good players don't restrict Lightner to dummy's first suit, although that is high on the list of suspects. Lightner is to alert partner that a non-standard lead will defeat the contract.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#28 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-February-07, 12:51

does Lightner actually request/demand dummy's first bid suit? That seems weird. I always just thought it was "find me" and most often based on a void. I know the results are posted but it looked like an obvious club lead to me.

and it's BBO pickups, trying to pick apart the auction is hopeless. regardless, blaming their auction for not helping us to find the lead is not useful. you will always find people who bid differently from you, and you just have to do the best you can.
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users