BBO Discussion Forums: Third hand opening - Manx hands 1 - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Third hand opening - Manx hands 1 When to open light in third

#1 User is offline   Douglas43 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Walking, boring my wife with bridge stories

Posted 2021-January-30, 05:52

This is the first in an occasional series that I plan to post for players from the Isle of Man, looking at hands that came up in club bridge. Unless otherwise explained, bidding will be based on Acol (weak NT and 4 card majors)

Is K106, 863, AK86, 763 worth an opening bid? Generally the answer would be "no" but in third position after two passes it might be, as we see from West's bid in the hand below.

In this hand (Douglas Bridge Club 27/1/21, board 14) East dealt at love all, and passed, South passed too. West opened 1 Diamond and the competitive bidding proceeded as shown in the diagram below. The final result was that West played in 3 – 1, NS+50

The board was played at 8 tables. At six tables West passed; three of those North-Souths made 1NTwith overtrick(s) and the other three played in 2 (=, +1 and+2). One other West opened (choosing 1NT) and played there for -50.

I would draw attention to four reasons why a light opening bid in third position on this hand was worthwhile:

• It indicates a good lead for partner. This is important because the best hand at the table is probably on your left, and you will often finish up defending;
  • East-West are not vulnerable. Even if the contract had gone two down, minus 100 would still have been above average (five NS pairs made 110 or more), but -200 for two off vulnerable would be a zero.
  • West can cope with partner's reply. If East bids a new suit, West can pass.
  • NS were a strong pair who could be expected to get a good score if left to their own devices.

The full hand, including the play can be found here:
https://www.bridgebase.com/tools/handviewer.html?lin=nt|Douglas43 has sent you a hand. |st%7C%7Cpn%7Cmanxjohn%2CDouglas43%2CTadhg64%2Cfatbunny1%7Cmd%7C4SA43HJ94DJ943CQ82%2CSKT6H863DAK86C763%2CSJ852HAK7DQCKJT54%2CSQ97HQT52DT752CA9%7Csv%7Co%7Crh%7C%7Cah%7CBoard 14%7Cmb%7CP%7Cmb%7CP%7Cmb%7C1D%7Cmb%7C2C%7Cmb%7CD%7Cmb%7C3C%7Cmb%7CP%7Cmb%7CP%7Cmb%7C3D%7Cmb%7CP%7Cmb%7CP%7Cmb%7CP%7Cpc%7CC4%7Cpc%7CCA%7Cpc%7CC8%7Cpc%7CC3%7Cpc%7CC9%7Cpc%7CCQ%7Cpc%7CC6%7Cpc%7CC5%7Cpc%7CD3%7Cpc%7CDA%7Cpc%7CDQ%7Cpc%7CD2%7Cpc%7CH3%7Cpc%7CHK%7Cpc%7CH2%7Cpc%7CH4%7Cpc%7CHA%7Cpc%7CH5%7Cpc%7CH9%7Cpc%7CH6%7Cpc%7CH7%7Cpc%7CHQ%7Cpc%7CHJ%7Cpc%7CH8%7Cpc%7CHT%7Cpc%7CS3%7Cpc%7CC7%7Cpc%7CS2%7Cpc%7CS7%7Cpc%7CSA%7Cpc%7CS6%7Cpc%7CS5%7Cpc%7CS4%7Cpc%7CST%7Cpc%7CSJ%7Cpc%7CSQ%7Cpc%7CD5%7Cpc%7CD4%7Cpc%7CD6%7Cpc%7CCT%7Cpc%7CDK%7Cpc%7CS8%7Cpc%7CD7%7Cpc%7CD9%7Cpc%7CSK%7Cpc%7CCJ%7Cpc%7CS9%7Cpc%7CC2%7Cpc%7CD8%7Cpc%7CCK%7Cpc%7CDT%7Cpc%7CDJ%7C&v3b=web&v3v=5.6.22

#2 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2021-January-30, 08:38

Douglas43's deal.
+++++++++++++++++
If local regulations permit, and your bidding structure can cope, then Douglas43's arguments persuade me that West should open 1, in 3rd seat :)

Culbertson would also approve :)
2.5 quick tricks :)

#3 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2021-January-30, 17:14

View Postnige1, on 2021-January-30, 08:38, said:

If local regulations permit, and your bidding structure can cope, then Douglas43's arguments persuade me that West should open 1, in 3rd seat :)

Culbertson would also approve :)
2.5 quick tricks :)[/hv]

playing matchpoints this is a great opening as if you are defending you are likely going to get the best lead.
Plus you can pass any response from partner so won't get into trouble.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#4 User is online   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2021-January-31, 00:43

I disagree. I do think it close, but I think it’s a poor idea to open 4333 10 counts in 3rd chair.

Yes, on this hand it works well. However, adopting an approach to bidding based on one or even a few hands is an excellent way to become a bad player.

Here, as it happens, North has minimum opening hand (it would not occur to me to overcall 2C. This looks like an easy takeout double) but sometimes he’ll have a good hand and competent opps will brush the opening bid aside. Sometimes he’ll have a pass and we may turn a pass out into a minus when our 4-3 major plays poorly or partner over-competes.

If I had a 5th diamond, I’d happily open
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#5 User is offline   Douglas43 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-January-31, 01:41

Thanks nige1, Steve and mikeh, it's good to get extra comments and different views. I'm going to do a few of these as part of an initiative to work with local improvers, so I know they will appreciate seeing other perspectives. Do please keep an eye out for future posts and chip in.

The opening gives North a choice of double or overcall 2C, either of which could be right on the day. Without it he has the world's easiest 1C opening and a tranquil sequence of 1C-1D-1S-1NT (or just 1C -1NT).

As to whether 1D is good bridge, remember this is matchpointed pairs! Posted Image

#6 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-February-11, 16:19

It might surprise you to learn that I would be more likely to open the West hand without the K, more likely still with a weak hand and some shape. For me, super-balanced 10 counts are amongst the worst for 3rd hand psyches since the chances are much lower than usual that it is their hand. Of course if I knew that my opps would overcall 2 on hands like Jxxx AKx Q KJTxx I might feel differently. But against those players we can expect to get a decent plus anyway. This is hand is not "a choice of double or 2", it is a clear and obvious double.

Edit: just as an extra aside, what was your plan as West if South had passed (or XXed)? It is not like you know that they have great support here so if you say 2 we can look at some hands where you end up in a 4-2 fit.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#7 User is offline   Douglas43 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-February-12, 08:03

View PostZelandakh, on 2021-February-11, 16:19, said:

It might surprise you to learn that I would be more likely to open the West hand without the K, more likely still with a weak hand and some shape. For me, super-balanced 10 counts are amongst the worst for 3rd hand psyches since the chances are much lower than usual that it is their hand. Of course if I knew that my opps would overcall 2 on hands like Jxxx AKx Q KJTxx I might feel differently. But against those players we can expect to get a decent plus anyway. This is hand is not "a choice of double or 2", it is a clear and obvious double.

Edit: just as an extra aside, what was your plan as West if South had passed (or XXed)? It is not like you know that they have great support here so if you say 2 we can look at some hands where you end up in a 4-2 fit.

Hi Zelandakh, plenty of good points there, I'll do my best to reply:
On opening very light at the one level, that would (as I understand it) be a genuine pysch as opposed to just light. My convention card indicates that third hand openings may be down to 9 hcp. Personally I prefer not to make outright pysches, and remember I am writing here for our local improvers;
While I appreciate that you don't rate West's bid, EW have a current NGS rating as a pair of 62.63, which (at my standard anyway) makes them tough opponents,and they are friends of mine!

If South had passed the negative double of 2C, I would have to bid 2H and pray. If he redoubles I can pass, which cannot be to play.

Once again, your comments much appreciated

#8 User is online   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-February-12, 08:13

View PostDouglas43, on 2021-February-12, 08:03, said:

If South had passed the negative double of 2C, I would have to bid 2H and pray. If he redoubles I can pass, which cannot be to play.

Don't be so sure of that. It's a good thing to have a clear rule about when a pass of a redouble is to play and when it shows no preference, and this auction will fall in the 'to play' category for many pairs.

So I would have to bid 2H if RHO passes or redoubles. I can live with that problem given the upside of opening in other auctions.

#9 User is offline   Douglas43 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-February-12, 14:56

View Postsfi, on 2021-February-12, 08:13, said:

Don't be so sure of that. It's a good thing to have a clear rule about when a pass of a redouble is to play and when it shows no preference, and this auction will fall in the 'to play' category for many pairs.

So I would have to bid 2H if RHO passes or redoubles. I can live with that problem given the upside of opening in other auctions.

OK. It does of course also depend on the agreed meaning of oppo's redouble. Assuming redouble is for blood and not SOS, I'm relying on partner to take out. Can I be making a penalty pass under the bidder and after a "strength and tolerance" bid on my right?

#10 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2021-February-12, 16:41

Reminds me a bit of a hand I held yesterday in third seat.

Q9
AKJ95

After two passes I opened 1. 1 on my left, partner doubled, passed round to me. I had no option but to bid 2 and I played there. It was one of those misfit deals, partner conveniently put down Q2. Just made it for a 92% board, theoretically should go one down. Opponents have a similar 7 card fit and can make 3.

#11 User is online   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-February-12, 16:50

View PostDouglas43, on 2021-February-12, 14:56, said:

OK. It does of course also depend on the agreed meaning of oppo's redouble. Assuming redouble is for blood and not SOS, I'm relying on partner to take out. Can I be making a penalty pass under the bidder and after a "strength and tolerance" bid on my right?

If I know you have that agreeement, I can simply redouble with any weak hand and there is no way for you to penalise me anymore. Even without an opponent doing that to you, redouble will often show values without a real fit (maybe Hx in clubs). Now you still can have a hand worth penalising overcaller with everyone having their calls. It's a shame to take that away and keep on bidding when the hand is a misfit for both pairs.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users