Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2021 NFL Thread

#1 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-May-26, 15:29

NFL fans, can we talk about Aaron Rodgers and Green Bay?

Spoiler

#2 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-May-27, 06:08

View Postshyams, on 2021-May-26, 15:29, said:

NFL fans, can we talk about Aaron Rodgers and Green Bay?

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2021-May-27, 16:08

Spoiler
:lol:
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#4 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2021-May-27, 16:21

View Posteagles123, on 2021-May-27, 16:08, said:

Spoiler
:lol:

Green bay packers quarterback, been one of the best in the league for many years, wants to leave because he wasn't consulted in the hiring of a new general manager among other things

#5 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-May-27, 18:08

Good grief.
He's only a quarterback.
If he was a halfback or a fullback then I could understand.

He should tighten his end and get over it.

#6 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-May-28, 15:56

View PostCyberyeti, on 2021-May-27, 16:21, said:

Green bay packers quarterback, been one of the best in the league for many years, wants to leave because he wasn't consulted in the hiring of a new general manager among other things

It is possible that he is in a huff because he feels neglected by the Green Bay organisation -- e.g. the GM hiring, changing the coaching staff, other reasons.

However, I feel that the main reason for his theatrics is money. Rodgers has a contract that runs upto 2023 end with a pay typical for an average QB ($25 million per annum) and much of it is NOT guaranteed. If, for any reason, Rodgers cannot play or the team decides they have their rookie QB (Jordan Love) who they would rather put on the field, Rodgers will be left with only $7 million (all in 2021) and the Packers can trade him / cut him for no cost.

The Packers don't want to cut him but they also don't want to tie themselves into a 4-5 years binding contract with a $150m - $200m guaranteed outlay. This is especially true if they feel Jordan Love is progressing well and can take over pretty soon.

#7 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2021-May-28, 17:00

I met Aaron about 3 or so years ago when he was dating my daughter and I can tell you from personal experience that I know nothing.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#8 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-May-28, 18:11

View PostCyberyeti, on 2021-May-27, 06:08, said:

Spoiler

In the last 15-20 years, black quarterbacks have started to get respect from NFL management. If you are one of the top 2 or 3 quarterbacks in the NFL, you should be a precious commodity no matter what your color is.

Compare that to the 1970's and 80's when NFL Hall of Famer Warren Moon had to prove himself in the Canadian Football League for 6 years before getting a chance to play in the NFL.

#9 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2021-May-29, 03:39

View Postjohnu, on 2021-May-28, 18:11, said:

In the last 15-20 years, black quarterbacks have started to get respect from NFL management. If you are one of the top 2 or 3 quarterbacks in the NFL, you should be a precious commodity no matter what your color is.

Compare that to the 1970's and 80's when NFL Hall of Famer Warren Moon had to prove himself in the Canadian Football League for 6 years before getting a chance to play in the NFL.

I feel they get less time to prove themselves, it takes longer for them to start, and one bad season they get shuffled on to another team faster than their white equivalents. I would need to look at Rodgers first few seasons before I judged whether he might not have been in Green Bay, had he been black. The treatment of Kaepernick shows the NFL has a long way to go although he's nothing like the talent Rodgers is, he's better than many of the white journeymen backups.

#10 User is offline   Gilithin 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-June-01, 23:18

View PostCyberyeti, on 2021-May-29, 03:39, said:

I feel they get less time to prove themselves, it takes longer for them to start, and one bad season they get shuffled on to another team faster than their white equivalents. I would need to look at Rodgers first few seasons before I judged whether he might not have been in Green Bay, had he been black. The treatment of Kaepernick shows the NFL has a long way to go although he's nothing like the talent Rodgers is, he's better than many of the white journeymen backups.

By my reckoning CK has the 22nd best passer rating of all active QBs and that is not even counting his rushing ability, so it would be difficult to claim that he is not better than at least some of the white starters. I am not so sure he is the ideal example for pure racism though as the politics surely have at least something to do with his lack of a contract. It would certainly be interesting to see some statistics on white vs black vs other wages in the NFL though. I would be shocked to find out that there was equality in this area.

#11 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-June-03, 14:37

Although things are getting better in the NFL, there are still things like

NFL vows to stop use of "race-norming" in reviewing brain injury claims

The NFL on Wednesday pledged to halt the use of "race-norming" — which assumed Black players started out with lower cognitive function — in the $1 billion settlement of brain injury claims and review past scores for any potential race bias.

The practice made it harder for Black retirees to show a deficit and qualify for an award. The standards were created in the 1990s in hopes of offering more appropriate treatment to dementia patients, but critics faulted the way they were used to determine payouts in the NFL concussion case.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users