Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Voice Control Input by voice commands rather than keyboard

#1 User is offline   GuyThomas 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2024-September-22, 03:20

Does BBO have any plans to implement voice control for bidding and playing hands?

#2 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2024-September-23, 10:25

That question doesn't belong here. I'd recommend https://www.bridgeba...r-the-software/

Maybe you can get an admin to move the thread.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#3 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-September-23, 14:53

View Postblackshoe, on 2024-September-23, 10:25, said:

Maybe you can get an admin to move the thread.

And maybe provide an answer.

BBO has never thanked people providing useful add-ons but seems convinced it has no duty to provide a solution to those with disabilities, visual or manual.

#4 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2024-September-24, 01:26

View Postpescetom, on 2024-September-23, 14:53, said:

BBO has never thanked people providing useful add-ons but seems convinced it has no duty to provide a solution to those with disabilities, visual or manual.

That's a lot of assertions in there...

#5 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2024-September-24, 10:29

View Postdiana_eva, on 2024-September-24, 01:26, said:

That's a lot of assertions in there...

A lot of history, unfortunately, at least as far as assistance to the visually impaired is concerned.
There have been multiple discussions here and some partial solutions provided by third parties, not by BBO itself.

Knowing you, I am certain you wlll be concerned about this and I would be very happy if you can get things moving towards a standard built-in solution.
The ideal would be national language voice in both directions, but even English-only voice to user and keyboard commands to system would be a step forwards.

#6 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2024-September-24, 16:27

View Postpescetom, on 2024-September-24, 10:29, said:

A lot of history, unfortunately, at least as far as assistance to the visually impaired is concerned.
There have been multiple discussions here and some partial solutions provided by third parties, not by BBO itself.

Knowing you, I am certain you wlll be concerned about this and I would be very happy if you can get things moving towards a standard built-in solution.
The ideal would be national language voice in both directions, but even English-only voice to user and keyboard commands to system would be a step forwards.

Hi. May i say ? The English voice for bidding could be to make as internazionale solution but keyboard commands i think not (such as braille language for blinds how is possible to convert/apply) ?

#7 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2024-September-25, 15:32

View PostLovera, on 2024-September-24, 16:27, said:

Hi. May i say ? The English voice for bidding could be to make as internazionale solution but keyboard commands i think not (such as braille language for blinds how is possible to convert/apply) ?

We have a blind player in our club, and he was (just about) able to play on Realbridge using the combination of voice explanation from system and keyboard commands. In that solution the system to player voice was nationalized and we were able to record our own numbers, suits and so on in Italian... but that introduced arbitrary delays compared to simple voice synthesis and I'm sure he would have managed almost as well with just English. The normal keyboard commands were no problem in themselves (he also had a braille keyboard available, but the solution did not use it and I doubt he would have found it advantageous anyway) but the interface as a whole was clumsy and in particular slow at reading out his cards or the dummy whenever he needed a reminder. The end result was that he was could play, but not maintain a reasonable tempo in a tournament, as he was used to doing playing f2f with braille embossed cards.
I'm still waiting (with hope and impatience) for someone to to better and for the companies involved to recognize that the removal of barriers to disabilty is a fundamental duty just like privacy and safeguarding, not something that can be deferred to otherwise legitimate objectives such as short term profit.

#8 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2024-September-27, 14:02

View Postpescetom, on 2024-September-25, 15:32, said:

We have a blind player in our club, and he was (just about) able to play on Realbridge using the combination of voice explanation from system and keyboard commands. In that solution the system to player voice was nationalized and we were able to record our own numbers, suits and so on in Italian... but that introduced arbitrary delays compared to simple voice synthesis and I'm sure he would have managed almost as well with just English. The normal keyboard commands were no problem in themselves (he also had a braille keyboard available, but the solution did not use it and I doubt he would have found it advantageous anyway) but the interface as a whole was clumsy and in particular slow at reading out his cards or the dummy whenever he needed a reminder. The end result was that he was could play, but not maintain a reasonable tempo in a tournament, as he was used to doing playing f2f with braille embossed cards.
I'm still waiting (with hope and impatience) for someone to to better and for the companies involved to recognize that the removal of barriers to disabilty is a fundamental duty just like privacy and safeguarding, not something that can be deferred to otherwise legitimate objectives such as short term profit.

Here, as I sensed, it is not easy to apply and, perhaps, also to share. As we know and it was also said by barmar, let's say that there are some types of "resistance" that prevent BBO from completely fulfilling the requests that, I believe, however, it is legitimate to present otherwise it would not be known.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users