BBO Discussion Forums: know your opponent before going to war - BBO Discussion Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

know your opponent before going to war

#1 User is offline   vianu2 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:not to be taken seriously

Posted 2011-August-11, 15:50

My game is a mixture of poker and russian roulette. When i have cards i bid with accuracy (or at least i try).
It was useless anyway, and i played many times the minor on the level 4 , in slam trying auctions. Because i used to leave the table during the contest, i got banned years for playing in tourneys.
But the funniest thing is when i don't have cards, and as usually, a partner even weaker than me.
The following boards I played in real tourneys .
If anyone else would like to post here boards he enjoyed the most, i'll be very happy and even more interested in that forum:). Not sure if this is the right place.

That was an easy claim.

Just made. Opps a bit anxious during first 3 trics, when my partner followed suit. Many tables played 3NT.

Here we were playing matchpoints and i made some trics , opponents sitting in their chairs total aloof. At the end, writing -200 in our score sheet, my partner blamed me for such a bad declarer, yelling at me that i was the only one who scored minus, when 3NT was cold. He took a few minutes to understand what happened in fact.

#2 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-August-11, 16:01

Looks like your partner was in on the joke on the last hand.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#3 User is offline   vianu2 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-11, 16:11

View PostPhil, on 2011-August-11, 16:01, said:

Looks like your partner was in on the joke on the last hand.

Lol i need to correct the board i played 3NT not 2NT there.
That's why he wondered about the score because all the tables were in 3NT and i was the only one who got down .
We were playing puppet 2nt-3cl-3nt (anyway i didn't have any major)))

#4 User is offline   xxhong 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-11, 17:14

I am wondering what would your partner say when west makes a simple penalty double over 3NT.

View Postvianu2, on 2011-August-11, 16:11, said:

Lol i need to correct the board i played 3NT not 2NT there.
That's why he wondered about the score because all the tables were in 3NT and i was the only one who got down .
We were playing puppet 2nt-3cl-3nt (anyway i didn't have any major)))

#5 User is offline   vianu2 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-11, 17:32

View Postxxhong, on 2011-August-11, 17:14, said:

I am wondering what would your partner say when west makes a simple penalty double over 3NT.

Well i agree that he took about 2 mins to pass but he passed.
But u are kidding at me : having let's say19 hcps in my hand do u really think i will go down? I don't remember every card and perhaps few of them are not in the right place as they were, but per totally opponents had 27 and that shape. And at the table i made 5 trics:) 3 hearts :P k cl and the ace. Do u imagine that i will go plus with a few more hcps in my hand ?

#6 User is offline   Elianna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-11, 17:42

Where are negative votes when they are needed?
My addiction to Mario Bros #3 has come back!

#7 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-11, 18:53

Hand 1 I think you were ridiculously lucky, most of the time your partner will raise or jump raise diamonds when you do this. Psyching your short suit is much better when you have somewhere to run (like a higher suit), and also when you don't have so much defense, and also when your partner isn't unlimited? Yes when partner has a yarb with short diamonds it's going to work out like this though, wd...

Hand 2 you don't have to overcall 2H to do this, you can just overcall 1H (which I think is a good bid) to achieve the same thing.

Side note, funny story on this: there was some hand where larry cohen overcalled his AKQJ fourth. The opps messed around and eventually got to 3N anyways. Larry knew he only had 4 so this would make...so he Xed! The opps made some kind of doubt showing redouble, and they sat! If you think about it, the double is very transparent, Larry would not double with AKQJx since he doesn't want the opps to run. Still, I don't think the opps were thinking that when they sat for the XX.

BTW I actually think overcalling 2H is a reasonable ploy if partner is a passed hand. The only time I ever did it was actually semi recently, w/r opposite a passed hand with AKQT. But it seems like too much of a gamble opposite a passed hand, especially when 1H will often work just as well.

Hand 3: Again I think you picked a pretty random hand for it, you have nowhere to run if they double, and you have enough defense that the opps might not make a game. But opening 2N as a psyche in 3rd seat is very effective.

So basically I think #1 is hopeless, #2 is almost reasonable (if partner was a passed hand), and #3 is a good concept but your hand sucks for it.

#8 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

• Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2011-August-11, 19:33

2N on hand 3 is best for a 1-5-2-5 yarb :)
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!

#9 User is offline   Elianna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-11, 19:33

View PostJLOGIC, on 2011-August-11, 18:53, said:

Hand 1 I think you were ridiculously lucky, most of the time your partner will raise or jump raise diamonds when you do this. Psyching your short suit is much better when you have somewhere to run (like a higher suit), and also when you don't have so much defense, and also when your partner isn't unlimited? Yes when partner has a yarb with short diamonds it's going to work out like this though, wd...

You know, in other circumstances, I could see someone trying to use hand 1 as evidence of c***ting. In fact, I know of a case where a similar hand WAS used in a hearing about c***ting. Not to say OP was (I hope that if he was he wouldn't post), but some people on the committee thought that it was a reasonable psych, and others thought it was unheard of, but I guess here's OP to show that someone else thought of something like that.
My addiction to Mario Bros #3 has come back!

#10 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2011-August-11, 21:21

It's funny how this was the guy who posted a lot of hands with dubious successful decisions taken at the table by the same player.

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#11 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-11, 22:55

View Postvianu2, on 2011-August-11, 15:50, said:

Not sure if this is the right place.

Well, I don't see why not. After all, there isn't a "Ridiculously lucky stupid bidding" forum.

Pot and kettle eh?

#12 User is offline   vianu2 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-12, 00:23

View PostHanoi5, on 2011-August-11, 21:21, said:

It's funny how this was the guy who posted a lot of hands with dubious successful decisions taken at the table by the same player.

Yes very funny and I"m glad u noticed that (pity u lost the essential) . I find it even more funny than your endless topics ( with puerile questions) i decided to never read because i just got bored.

#13 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-12, 00:33

View Postvianu2, on 2011-August-12, 00:23, said:

Yes very funny and I"m glad u noticed that (pity u lost the essential) . I find it even more funny than your endless topics ( with puerile questions) i decided to never read because i just got bored.

He does raise a good point. First you post hands where you are suspicious of someone else making questionable decisions that work. Now you post hands of you making questionable decisions that work. Seems to me that these hands are just as suspicious, maybe those other hands were you too and you're suffering from double personalities? :)

#14 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-12, 05:33

I am surprised noone has even mentioned yet the part in the OP about leaving the table during the contest. Even on BBO this is regarded as a "serious offence", let alone in F2F bridge. Could a yellow perhaps look into whether this claim is actually true on BBO - if it is then I submit the account should be banned. Perhaps this is what happened to vianu1...
(-: Zel :-)

#15 User is offline   vianu2 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-12, 07:02

View Postmtvesuvius, on 2011-August-12, 00:33, said:

He does raise a good point. First you post hands where you are suspicious of someone else making questionable decisions that work. Now you post hands of you making questionable decisions that work. Seems to me that these hands are just as suspicious, maybe those other hands were you too and you're suffering from double personalities? :)

Yess!!! "Suffering from double personality " may be the answer . Wow good idea. You are a little genius and i like you. I agree totally :rolleyes:.
Just put yourself in my place , you , as good as u are, facing with partner's mediocrity ...u know the result will be the first place ...bottom-up lol.. why should you not try to entertain at least?
The boards were played in real tourneys anyway. Not on BBo (here i do very rarely make such things, because 1) host remove me from the table 2) nothing can work here , people often double based on points and having your "suit".
And i really enjoy to use that not vulnerable 2NT every time i have in 3rd any balanced 5--8 hand. What is the fun to make a psychic with any 5-5 , u want to run if u get doubled? But u will always be doubled when opponents are unbalanced too:) So i want to play it , not only to bid it! I want to play 3NT not doubled:)
If u want to kill your opponents, try to preempt with akq only, they just cannot double you (having bad trumps and one of them is thinking that other is short )))
Wow, if psychics are allowed in competitions, we should not have a problem here.

#16 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2011-August-12, 07:06

View Postvianu2, on 2011-August-12, 07:02, said:

And i really enjoy to use that not vulnerable 2NT every time i have in 3rd any balanced 5--8 hand.

This makes it systemic (hence no longer psychic) and illegal. Please let's not advocate that.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#17 User is offline   vianu2 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-12, 07:11

View Postwyman, on 2011-August-12, 07:06, said:

This makes it systemic (hence no longer psychic) and illegal. Please let's not advocate that.

Ok that i don't know. I have no clue when a thing becomes systemic then illegal. So perhaps that's the reason people do not often make psychics in tourneys.

#18 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-12, 07:50

It becomes systemic when you've done it enough times for partner to be aware of the possibility (which isn't very many)
Wayne Somerville

#19 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-12, 08:56

2) nothing can work here , people often double based on points and having your "suit".
Where do you play that someone holding a 20-count over you doesn't double the 3NT you're declaring?

#20 User is offline   vianu2 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-12, 09:23

View PostAntrax, on 2011-August-12, 08:56, said:

Where do you play that someone holding a 20-count over you doesn't double the 3NT you're declaring?

Hey if u have 20 u already know that my 2NT is psychic . U must have only 15-17 ugly , with 17 u still suspect that something is wrong there (if my partner moved ) but u aren't so sure. U can imagine i bid 2nt with 18 right?
Please i invite u to X me with your 17 being LHO . Do u really think it matters? U give trics every time u are in your hand, starting with the lead, which is essential and can ruin all the defense.

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users