#1 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-April-26, 23:22

Imps, world class opps.

What do you suggest here ?
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#2 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2012-April-26, 23:50

3H seems straight forward.

#3 User is offline   S2000magic 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:magic, horseback riding, hiking, camping, F1 racing, bridge, mathematics, finance, teaching

Posted 2012-April-27, 00:41

View PostMrAce, on 2012-April-26, 23:22, said:

I assume that the last pass by South is incorrect; i.e., that's supposed to be the question mark we're answering.

I have a partner who may have bid 1 on:

x x x
x x x x
x x x
x x x

I think that 2 is enough here. If partner has substantially more than the minimum (above) he can bid again. An ace would quialify as substantially more.
BCIII

"If you're driving [the Honda S2000] with the top up, the storm outside had better have a name."

Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.

#4 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-27, 04:11

This is a situation that like balancing with 1NT you should play very different at IMPs and MPs. 2 at MPs only shows 4 cards and nothing else, at IMPs it shows a middle 14-17 range. I would downgrade my hand to that. So 3 at MPs, 2 at IMPs.

#5 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-April-27, 08:51

View PostS2000magic, on 2012-April-27, 00:41, said:

I have a partner who may have bid 1 on:

x x x
x x x x
x x x
x x x

Jeez, maybe we should pass then. Or not even doubled in the 1st place.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#6 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-April-27, 09:33

View PostPhil, on 2012-April-27, 08:51, said:

He thinks that is a bad hand? I have a partner who bid 1 on xxx xxx xxxx xxx :D

I knew I should have stayed in bed that day.

Jeesh.....there I was, thinking that I was the most 'glass half empty' bidder on the fora, and along comes this.

As for the problem, I bid 2. I hold, in essence, slightly worse than AKJx AKxx x 10xxx, since my possession of the diamond K means that opener has compensating, and thus defensive values, and my K ain't worth diddley squat offensively most of the time.

I don't bid 2 on absolute minimum takeout double hands...I allow partner to bid if 2 is appropriate on those holdings (and I know the arguments both ways...this is how I and my partners choose to bid) so this hand, deducting the diamond K, is at the very top of the 2 range.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#7 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2012-April-27, 09:56

Wouldn't you bid 2H on any hand with 4414? Having a stiff is a big extra value to me, I don't bid 2H with minimum Xs either but I would with 4414 and 11 or 4423 and 14 pretty routinely. I think you have to bid 2H with some extras and 4 hearts when RHO bids. Here I have 4414 and "15", that is still far stronger than minimum hands I would bid 2H with.

#8 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-April-27, 10:03

View PostS2000magic, on 2012-April-27, 00:41, said:

I assume that the last pass by South is incorrect; i.e., that's supposed to be the question mark we're answering.

Ah I was about to ask why we didn't redouble last round... and why Justin thinks we need to ask for a heart stopper when we have one ourselves... LOL.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#9 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-April-27, 12:24

View PostJLOGIC, on 2012-April-27, 09:56, said:

Wouldn't you bid 2H on any hand with 4414? Having a stiff is a big extra value to me, I don't bid 2H with minimum Xs either but I would with 4414 and 11 or 4423 and 14 pretty routinely. I think you have to bid 2H with some extras and 4 hearts when RHO bids. Here I have 4414 and "15", that is still far stronger than minimum hands I would bid 2H with.

Not 'any hand' because I may already have 'counted' my shape to justify my double...by counting it again....to say that my minimum hand, which warranted a double because of ths stiff now warrants another call seems, to me, to be counting the same values twice.

However, I don't think that is where we disagree....I think we disagree about where the line is drawn between 2 and 3. I may be mistaken, but I read your posts as suggesting that this is a minimum (tho clear) 3 call, while I see this as an absolute maximum 2 call, and, if so, we are extremely close in our views of the strength of the hand and merely draww different conclusions.

Put another way...if we had fractional bidding, would you be at about 2.75, thus obviously rounding up to a clear 3, with me at about 2.48, thus rounding down?
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#10 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2012-April-27, 12:48

I'm a 2 bidder. Any upward adjustment in strength and I'd bid 3. Vul at teams, I'd bid 3. If partner held the same hand and bid 3, I would not worry about his choice. (ie, I think you've hit my borderline hand on the nose).
Chris Gibson

#11 User is offline   Phil 

Posted 2012-April-27, 12:51

I feel like I got in a time transport back to 2007. Justin is going on and on how raising is automatic. Han will chirp in too.

MikeH is saying that he needs extras, and Josh will mostly agree with him and I will support Josh.

Maybe the recession was just a bad dream.
Hi y'all!

#12 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2012-April-27, 13:27

I'll side with Justin on this one and think that while assuming my K is the 2, there's just enough extras to bid 3 here. My hand is prime, the hook if needed is likely to work, however the situation could be troublesome if there are too many losers.

I certainly understand those who bid 2 here and that depends on what you've agreed to with partner but I prefer what I see as the "modern" way of bidding 2 in comp on almost any 4 card support.

.. neilkaz ..

#13 User is offline   S2000magic 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:magic, horseback riding, hiking, camping, F1 racing, bridge, mathematics, finance, teaching

Posted 2012-April-27, 14:25

View PostPhil, on 2012-April-27, 08:51, said:

The sarcasm seems misplaced. Partner has about 8 points tops, and zero at the minimum, so the single raise seems spot on.
BCIII

"If you're driving [the Honda S2000] with the top up, the storm outside had better have a name."

#14 User is offline   mfa1010 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-27, 14:49

3 down the middle for me. We support to 2 with any excuse in these situations.
Michael Askgaard

#15 User is offline   Phil 

Posted 2012-April-27, 15:26

View PostS2000magic, on 2012-April-27, 14:25, said:

The sarcasm seems misplaced. Partner has about 8 points tops, and zero at the minimum, so the single raise seems spot on.

Sorry the sarcasm is also 'spot on'.

If you choose to present yarboroughs to demonstrate your action in the expert forum, then I think you'll get this kind of greeting.

Note that I am also a single raiser.
Hi y'all!

#16 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-27, 16:04

View PostPhil, on 2012-April-27, 12:51, said:

I feel like I got in a time transport back to 2007. Justin is going on and on how raising is automatic. Han will chirp in too.

MikeH is saying that he needs extras, and Josh will mostly agree with him and I will support Josh.

Maybe the recession was just a bad dream.

If this was 2007, cherdano would point out the BWS agreement.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#17 User is offline   Phil 

Posted 2012-April-27, 16:40

View Postcherdano, on 2012-April-27, 16:04, said:

If this was 2007, cherdano would point out the BWS agreement.

Cherdanno you mean?

I almost added how you would mention your disdain for the LOTT.
Hi y'all!

#18 User is offline   S2000magic 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-27, 17:12

View PostPhil, on 2012-April-27, 15:26, said:

If you choose to present yarboroughs to demonstrate your action in the expert forum, then I think you'll get this kind of greeting.

I think that you're right. That doesn't mean that it's appropriate, however.

I also think that in a case where we've essentially forced partner to bid even with a yarborough, considering what might happen with a yarborough is appropriate as a worst case, which is exactly how I presented it.

View PostPhil, on 2012-April-27, 15:26, said:

Note that I am also a single raiser.

Noted.

It seems that you, too, might be considering that partner might have a yarborough.
BCIII

#19 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2012-April-27, 17:16

View Postmikeh, on 2012-April-27, 12:24, said:

Not 'any hand' because I may already have 'counted' my shape to justify my double...by counting it again....to say that my minimum hand, which warranted a double because of ths stiff now warrants another call seems, to me, to be counting the same values twice.

However, I don't think that is where we disagree....I think we disagree about where the line is drawn between 2 and 3. I may be mistaken, but I read your posts as suggesting that this is a minimum (tho clear) 3 call, while I see this as an absolute maximum 2 call, and, if so, we are extremely close in our views of the strength of the hand and merely draww different conclusions.

Put another way...if we had fractional bidding, would you be at about 2.75, thus obviously rounding up to a clear 3, with me at about 2.48, thus rounding down?

Yes I agree with you, we are not far off, I am just a little more optimistic as usual :P

#20 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-27, 17:44

p 1h response has a huge range. Our hand is
worth around 17 a perfect 2h bid. This allows
p to compete to 3h (with say an ace) if lho
bids 3d and to go to 4h if they are closer to
the top of their 1h bid.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic