• You cannot reply to this topic

cue, end of the honeymoon

#1 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2015-January-03, 01:29

So our afternoon game was good but the hands this evening were distributional and I made some bad mistakes, we dropped 10%

2 hands that took me off guard:

#1 uncontested auction: 1 2 3 3 3

if you are not a bbfer , 3 is ?

#2 (1) X (P) 2

same question, 2 is ?
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)
"At last: just calm down, this kind of disrupted boards happens every day in our bridge community. It will always be an inherent part of bridge until we move to a modern platform, and then will we have other hopefully less frequent issues." P Swennson

#2 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-03, 01:55

1) 3s is forcing bid natural(3h=slam try in h) Ax...AKxxx...Kxxx..xx
2) 2d is forcing..just rebid natural(make your natural rebid)

#3 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2015-January-03, 02:12

3S is a cue bid.
Disagree with Mike about 2D. 2D = pick a Major.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#4 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-03, 02:39

I think I agree with Mike about 2 - I play it as forcing to suit agreement implying invitational or better values. So the auction can finish at 3M if I simply raise partner's major suit.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#5 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2015-January-03, 04:40

View Postpaulg, on 2015-January-03, 02:39, said:

I think I agree with Mike about 2 - I play it as forcing to suit agreement implying invitational or better values. So the auction can finish at 3M if I simply raise partner's major suit.

Not sure these things are mutually exclusive, esepcially if Ron uses a doubling style that guarantees a 4 card major. If not then the only real time there is conflict is holding something like 3325, where the "natural" call would be 3 or 2NT. But many play these as promising the big hand and have to bid a 3 card major instead. If so then both descriptions are essentially the same (just that yours has better disclosure).
(-: Zel :-)

#6 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-03, 06:33

3S = cue for H. How strong it is depends on whether you're playing 2/1 or not.

2D = "values, no clear direction", e.g. 4-4 in two suits with about 9 points. (May not be both majors - I prefer a style where jumps after TOX promise 5 cards. But doubler should default to rebidding a major if he has one)

ahydra

#7 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2015-January-03, 08:51

#1 3 was interpreted as bidding out my shape , showing a 3 suited hand.

The rest of the auction was my fault, I pushed to a slam thinking partner had 5 diamonds, 2-3 hearts when in fact he had
AKJ7,763,Q653,QJ

#2 The complete auction:
1 x P 2
3 P P 3

Dummy, J542,KQ6,T7,AQJ6

I was surprised at how far apart we were on cue bidding.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)
"At last: just calm down, this kind of disrupted boards happens every day in our bridge community. It will always be an inherent part of bridge until we move to a modern platform, and then will we have other hopefully less frequent issues." P Swennson

#8 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2015-January-03, 09:00

View PostZelandakh, on 2015-January-03, 04:40, said:

Not sure these things are mutually exclusive, esepcially if Ron uses a doubling style that guarantees a 4 card major. If not then the only real time there is conflict is holding something like 3325, where the "natural" call would be 3 or 2NT. But many play these as promising the big hand and have to bid a 3 card major instead. If so then both descriptions are essentially the same (just that yours has better disclosure).

I am not sure this is what Ron meant, but many play 2D as not promising a rebid if partner bids 2M. In that style, the most typical hand for 2D would be 4=4 in the majors with 9-11 hcp, intending to pass 2M.
This means opener has to do something else with extras.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#9 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-03, 10:23

View Postjillybean, on 2015-January-03, 08:51, said:

#1 3 was interpreted as bidding out my shape , showing a 3 suited hand.

The rest of the auction was my fault, I pushed to a slam thinking partner had 5 diamonds, 2-3 hearts when in fact he had
AKJ7,763,Q653,QJ

#2 The complete auction:
1 x P 2
3 P P 3

Dummy, J542,KQ6,T7,AQJ6

I was surprised at how far apart we were on cue bidding.

Your partner seems to have developed an allergy to bidding the spade suit. Hard to play with this style unless it's diagnosed first.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#10 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2015-January-03, 10:38

View Postpaulg, on 2015-January-03, 10:23, said:

Your partner seems to have developed an allergy to bidding the spade suit. Hard to play with this style unless it's diagnosed first.

Yes, I wondered about that, 2 was to create a game force. We were playing nmf and 4sf
(still learning)

#11 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-January-03, 10:43

On the first one, I ALWAYS expect 5+ for 1-2, partner not starting with 1 because they "have to GF" is absurd. I've come around to 1 - 2 on 4-4 GF hands, but this is something else.

On the second one, the 2 bid was great, but the 3 bid is nuts!
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#12 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2015-January-03, 10:45

View Postchasetb, on 2015-January-03, 10:43, said:

Really, do you pass?
(still learning)

#13 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-03, 11:12

I think you have misread - the PASS of 3 is nuts (we have yet to see the hand that BID 3).

#14 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2015-January-03, 11:56

Ok, I must have misread :)

My hand is KQ86,AT98,Q2,T75
(still learning)

#15 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2015-January-03, 17:46

Hand #1 - I'd ask why isn't partner replying 1 rather than bidding 2 on such an anemic suit. After 1 - 2 - 3 , I'd make a fast arrival signoff at 4 with partner's hand. Your hand is showing 8+ cards in the red suits, so the bulk of partner's points are less likely to be working or useful.

After 3 , I'd take the 3 bid as being a control.

Hand #2 - 2 shows a good hand at least 11-12+. So after the 3 bid, I think doubler owes you another bid. Since you're 4-4 in the majors and in reopening position, might you consider a reopening double and let partner pick the major. Or would that have some other meaning the way you play?

#16 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2015-January-04, 00:22

View Postcherdano, on 2015-January-03, 09:00, said:

I am not sure this is what Ron meant, but many play 2D as not promising a rebid if partner bids 2M. In that style, the most typical hand for 2D would be 4=4 in the majors with 9-11 hcp, intending to pass 2M.
This means opener has to do something else with extras.

This is indeed what I meant. Thank you, Arend.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users