• You cannot reply to this topic

JEC 1/3 Board 24

#21 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2016-January-09, 11:38

We haven't had time to go over this sequence in any detail , hopefully we will get chance after todays game.

My initial thoughts;

We play the strong jump by opener as a 19-22, 2 suited hand, unsuitable for opening 2C, it is game forcing.
We play a 12-14nt so partner knows after our opening bid that we have 15+ or an unbalanced hand.

After the strong jump we play 2 nt as an offer to play in nt, forward going.
I think it is safe to say that once opener has made a strong jump we are going to play in one of opener's suits or in nt.

Once we are in a game forcing auction I want to avoid any jumps to show extras, it seems to be a horrid waste of space.
3 nt by responder would be a rare bid, I have stoppers in the other suits, no slam interest and this is where we should play.

If responder has extras and slam interest, they want to be in control so a 2 nt asking bid seems preferable to a 3n telling bid.
How is opener to bid over 3 nt after they have already described their 2 suited hand? We are now at the 4 level.

I think jumping to 3 nt with extras, missing a good fit in a suit and possibly a slam is a crisis. Wank, I don't understand how your 3 discrete ranges
(can jump, can bid 2N and respect partner, can bid 2N and bid on) would work. How is the 2N and can bid on different from the jump to 3N?

Thanks & I look forward to more discussion from the bbf'ers with considerably more experience than I have :)
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#22 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-09, 11:55

Jumping to 3nt is modest extras, think 10/11 hcp. Bid 2nd and advance is a very serious move towards slam, say 12ish+

#23 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-09, 12:54

I think playing a jump to 3N as weak is playable, as long as your definition of "weak" takes into account how good your hand is for suit slams.

I think the jump to 3N being <8hcp, also denying 2 keycards (counting both suits) or 1 keycard + both queens, is perfectly playable. This is a case where you should do what fits with the rest of your system. (For example, you probably should match what you do after an inverted minor.)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users