Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Team Match Results Having Trouble Understanding - Am I missing something

#1 User is offline   panther786 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-July-17, 10:43

The recording of the results in terms of + and - does not seem to make sense to me. Can some one explain the reasoning for the sign of +/- or am I missing something.

Let me describe a specific recording of a board to explain my confusion.

Tourney # 6450 Teams TGCE played between Sohail Team and Maarij Team hosted by Sherwanik.

Board 3 was bid 3S and made 5 at Table 1 and the Total Points of +200 were accordingly credited to Sohail Team, which was playing at EW position on Our Table. The same Board 3 was bid 4S and made 5 at Table 2 and Total Points of +650 were accordingly credited to Maaarij Team, which was playing at EW position on Their Table.

To a reader of the results from any of these teams, the +/- signs can easily convey points scored by them by being + while the points scored by the opponents by being -, independent of being reflective of Our Table and Their Table, which appears to reverse the +/- signs. In my way of looking at it, one tends to get confused while trying to assess where a pair from their team played well or badly with the existing recording logic.

Can some one or the admin explain to me how the +/- signs are arrived at and how best to read/interpret the results.

Many thanks.

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-July-19, 18:11

If you're looking at a specific player's results (the URL ends with &u=username), the scores at your table are from that player's perspective -- if they got a positive score it's +, if they got a negative score it's -.

If you're viewing generic results of a match (there's no &u=username in the URL), the perspective is of the host if they're playing, otherwise it's the NS pair at Table 1.

In either case, the perspective at the other table is from the pair in the same direction as the one chosen above.

Maybe that's not best -- for team matches maybe we should flip it so both scores are from the perspective of the same team. But we use the same display code for team matches and challenges, and for challenges it makes sense to show both results from South's perspective, so you can compare how you did with your opponent.

#3 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-July-19, 22:16

View Postbarmar, on 2020-July-19, 18:11, said:

Maybe that's not best -- for team matches maybe we should flip it so both scores are from the perspective of the same team.

It would help for it to say N/S and E/W at the top instead of We/They. These headings are decidedly unhelpful.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#4 User is offline   panther786 

• PipPip

Posted 2020-July-20, 09:24

The explanation seems reasonable but can you look at the specific case I have discussed in the initial post and reconfirm that the reporting is indeed this way.

The Board 3 got +200 points for EW pair on Our Table while at the other Their Table, wherein the EW pair’s team members were playing at NS, the EW pair at Their Table scored 650 points and being against our team as well as from the perspective of NS, one would expect them to be recorded as -650, whereas the current reporting system records this result as +650.

The recording system may be working correctly as expected with IMPs and possibly not working correctly with Total Points.

May I request admin having access to the results database to look into it and correct the situation or just feedback to clarify any misunderstanding that I may have. Thanks.

#5 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-20, 10:18

After a quick look it seems to be working precisely as described by barmar although it is not particularly intuitive when you look from the perspective of an EW player.

The match can be seen at http://webutil.bridg...6450-1594312189. This view is from no-one's perspective, so the results are from the view of the NS players. This is what I'm used to and is intuitive.

From your perspective, the match can be seen at http://webutil.bridg...89&u=panther786. This view is from the perspective of the East-West pairs at both tables, as you were sitting East. It is slightly non-intuitive in the sense that your results are shown from your perspective and you might expect the results at the other table to be shown from your team's perspective, and not from the perspective of the other East player.

But all the results are correct.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#6 User is offline   panther786 

• PipPip

Posted 2020-July-21, 16:35

Thanks paulg for your response. It was greatly helpful and clarified the confusion emanating from my earlier viewing of the results and responses given by others.

Can you also advise how to get the view that is from no one’s perspective as this neutral view is least confusing and intuitive and what one would expect. The view that is accessible through history is what one is inclined to look for review and has been the one I have been looking at in the past.

Many thanks for your super feedback.

#7 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-21, 17:33

Just remove the &u=panther786 from the end of the URL.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users